Avatar Shopping Community Knuffel Quests Donate My Account Help

Jump to:

[ 5 posts ] 
Food
Yes  60%  [ 28 ]
Please  40%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 47
 Post subject: Possible Ideas To Increase Posting?
Posted: Apr 8th, '19, 21:35    

Sanssouci

Hugs: 77503
When there are posting events, it seems to me that just a few threads get really active but then the majority of the forum stays slow. So then I was thinking maybe there could be an event, where instead of getting currency with every post, maybe you get currency for every unique thread that you post in or something like that? Each post could give more currency or each event item could cost only a few of the currency to make it balanced and not terribly difficult.

Or maybe there could be prizes for people who contribute to the site in other ways. There are prizes for people who donate and for top posters. But I was thinking maybe there could be prizes for other things that add to the activity of the site, for example, maybe for making thoughtful posts, or making new threads, or for running a charity, or for completing a certain number of trades, or maybe the posting in unique threads things could be part of that, etc. It could be at Firn/moderator discretion, or based on user nominations, or set up like an achievement system that gives out prizes automatically when certain conditions are met, or a combination.

I know that's probably all WAY more work for Firn. I just really want to see the activity spread out throughout the forum, and maybe even get some focus on post quality over post quantity, and thought I'd post in case any of those ideas might be helpful!

(2) (0)

Post subject: Re: Possible Ideas To Increase Posting?
Posted: Apr 8th, '19, 22:38    

AlkseeyaKC

Hugs: 235406
Mood: I'm Blue dabadee dabadie.
Here is a thought, I'm on this app called Ameno and something they have is a tip feature. Users can tip coins at posts they think are great. The person who posted the topic can also thank them with a heart witch add to your popularity rank. Other people can see how much a post has been tipped and who tipped.

Maybe something could be worked into threads or posts. It would be like the upvote and down vote but you get some FPs from it. Maybe people can tip other things like fps, donuts, FC, event currency. It might make people strive to make better posts or try to communicate with others more for those sweet sweet tips. XD

(3) (0)

Posted: Apr 9th, '19, 04:00    

Akili Li

Hugs: 220577
Mood: Crumbly Crumpet
That's a really interesting set of ideas!

But I think it would actually be more programming work, which means Starkad would be needed to implement a way to track that, and he seems super busy lately. So I'm not sure how possible it is?

On the other hand, if instead of trying to actually track all that information you did it on a periodic basis of someone posting a thread asking people to nominate others for this category or that, and then after a time you closed it and started one with a poll so people could vote on the nominations?

Well, at that point it could even become a user-run event/charity/thing. Which means it could be done, since it wouldn't rely on Firn *or* Starkad.

Although honestly it seems like a lot of the users are also time-strapped.

I know that if someone tried to set up something like that, I could probably donate some prizes (maybe lvl 100 knuffels?) but would not be able to help run it or set it up.

(3) (0)
I want to buy or trade for these knuffels:
Earth Gen 18, Light Gen 19, Fire Gen 21, Air/Light/Water Gen 22, Light Gen 23, Earth/Light Gen 25, Darkness Gen 26.
Please PM me if you can help!

Posted: Apr 9th, '19, 12:30    

Illustrator
Firn

Hugs: 212960
Mood: [¬º-°]¬
These are all good ideas, but - I don't really want to say much yet, because of how starkad has started working on various features in the past and then never completed them, so I never know when or whether at all something will come in the future, but the way it looks now, there will be some major change to our forums in the future.

We have thought and talked much about the current state of KOfK, how it is basically almost dead and how, unfortunately, if this state continues, we will not be able to keep supporting it financially, because our own financial issues are not looking too great. Those who follow my personal hangout know that we just had to move out of our old apartment last year because we could not pay the rent anymore. We can't keep this site up if donations don't pick up again and if there is no activity on this site, that's unlikely to happen, because both go hand in hand with each other.

Therefore some drastical changes seem to be our only option now. I don't know whether it will be good or bad, changes are always scary. It can backfire, but the old-fashioned forums as we have now are just outdated. Most people, especially younger people who did not grow up with forums being such a common thing, are not used to them anymore, everyone is always just posting that they "don't have any time" whenever there is a posting event or a the Candy caravan is in town. Yet people don't really have less time than they used to have 10 years ago - the way the internet is being used just has changed. Nowadays most people rather spend their time online on their phones instead of a desktop computer. They are on their way, usually doing something else at the same time, waiting for the bus, brushing their teeth, not sitting on the computer talking on the forum for an hour streight like it used to be... communication online now needs to cater more to these "fast" and "quick" social media types of communication more suitable for current online behavior and of course the web design also needs to be more mobile-friendly than the old fashioned forums are.

As said, starkad has little free time next to his job and I don't know when he will complete the change. Might take years.
Therefore all I can say now is that change to the forum is coming. Don't know how fast and we have not worked out the detailes yet, but it is coming.

(8) (0)

Posted: Apr 12th, '19, 00:35    

MissNikki

Hugs: 102700
Mood: Tired. Always tired.
All great ideas. :mccute:

I don't consider the site 'dead' as I post here every day, but I do not run it and pay out of my pocket to keep it running so I am sure that it is a very different view from that angle...

(0) (0)

[ 5 posts ]