Avatar Shopping Community Knuffel Quests Donate My Account Help

Jump to:

[ 8 posts ] 
Should we remove these fields that just take up space?
Yes  81%  [ 35 ]
I don't like change so I'd rather let something that doesn't exist anymore stay in my profile  19%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 43
 Post subject: Remove WL/MSN, Yahoo and AOL Messenger Fields
Posted: Oct 18th, '19, 04:23    

TrickyLA

Hugs: 23181
Mood: Tired
All of these platforms have been discontinued and therefore should no longer be taking up space in our profiles/profile editors. Yahoo was removed in 2018, Windows Live in 2013 and AOL in 2017. While AIM has somewhat been revived as AIM Phoenix, it isn't through the same servers and those who had accounts saved on here may have had those usernames taken by someone else. Buddy lists did not transfer and if someone else got your old username you're out of luck.

Maybe add a new section for AIM Phoenix, Skype, Discord, Pinterest and Twitch if something has to be there? Otherwise, these fields are just taking up space in our profiles.

(0) (0)

Post subject: Re: Remove WL/MSN, Yahoo and AOL Messenger Fields
Posted: Oct 18th, '19, 04:33    

Doe

Hugs: 4517
Mood: tired
Having this section updated with current platforms would be nice, I think. Having all these dead services listed just looks outdated now.

(2) (0)

Posted: Oct 18th, '19, 04:40    

TrickyLA

Doe wrote:
Having this section updated with current platforms would be nice, I think. Having all these dead services listed just looks outdated now.
I didn't list ICQ or Jabber to be removed because as far as I can tell they're still running but I don't personally know anybody who uses those services? Honestly, I'd like the ICQ button removed from my profile (as well as the Facebook one, but I know more people use Facebook) as I don't have anything entered in those fields at all.

(0) (0)

Posted: Oct 18th, '19, 08:36    

Illustrator
Firn

Hugs: 213618
Mood: [¬º-°]¬
I do not see any such fields in user profiles? Where are they located? :mcshock:
(And about the profile editor: That's phpBB default, probably has been upated with a newer version, but since starkad has not updated phpBB in several years we are stuck with the old fields)

(0) (0)

Posted: Oct 18th, '19, 16:27    

TrickyLA

Firn wrote:I do not see any such fields in user profiles? Where are they located? :mcshock:
(And about the profile editor: That's phpBB default, probably has been upated with a newer version, but since starkad has not updated phpBB in several years we are stuck with the old fields)
Not all of them show up if you don't have something entered in them, but the ICQ, Facebook and Instagram fields show up as buttons whether you input anything or not. Edit: Twitter and Tumblr fields are also always visible

Is there any way you could get him to update the phpBB?

(0) (0)

Posted: Oct 18th, '19, 19:45    

Illustrator
Firn

Hugs: 213618
Mood: [¬º-°]¬
Yes, but I don't see WL/MSN, Yahoo and AOL anywhere. We didn't even build in any room for these on the profiles? And I think, apart from ICQ, all other platforms are still active platforms.

No, there is not a chance he will find the time to do that. It's really a necessary update, which he says so himself, but it is an immense amount of work, because you can't just upate phpBB to a new version and that's it, because our phpBB is completely customized, which means, if you just update it, 70% of our site will not work anymore and will need adjustment. And it's not an update you can just work on in bits and pieces when you have the time to do it. You have to update it and only then you will see what's not working anymore and needs fixing and how to fix it and you can't have a not-working site for months where you fix one issue a week. That would certainly be the end of the site.
So that's something starkad would need a lot of time in a row for and I don't see how that would be possible with his full time job. He barely manages to squeeze in the regular updates like item updates, Knuffel or events in what limited time he has.

At the beginning of this year he took a week off from work and wanted to completely get rid of phpBB and build the site from scratch again so we would not need to rely on them and their coding, but obviouls a week was not enough time for that and he did not get very far with it. It would have been mobile-friendly and would have included a completely-new forum system. Would have been nice to have, but oh well.... the list of stuff we want but don't have the time/recources for is endless. :qd: (So is the list of stuff starkad started working on and then abandoned at some point)

(2) (0)

Posted: Oct 18th, '19, 20:20    

TrickyLA

Firn wrote:Yes, but I don't see WL/MSN, Yahoo and AOL anywhere. We didn't even build in any room for these on the profiles? And I think, apart from ICQ, all other platforms are still active platforms.

No, there is not a chance he will find the time to do that. It's really a necessary update, which he says so himself, but it is an immense amount of work, because you can't just upate phpBB to a new version and that's it, because our phpBB is completely customized, which means, if you just update it, 70% of our site will not work anymore and will need adjustment. And it's not an update you can just work on in bits and pieces when you have the time to do it. You have to update it and only then you will see what's not working anymore and needs fixing and how to fix it and you can't have a not-working site for months where you fix one issue a week. That would certainly be the end of the site.
So that's something starkad would need a lot of time in a row for and I don't see how that would be possible with his full time job. He barely manages to squeeze in the regular updates like item updates, Knuffel or events in what limited time he has.

At the beginning of this year he took a week off from work and wanted to completely get rid of phpBB and build the site from scratch again so we would not need to rely on them and their coding, but obviouls a week was not enough time for that and he did not get very far with it. It would have been mobile-friendly and would have included a completely-new forum system. Would have been nice to have, but oh well.... the list of stuff we want but don't have the time/recources for is endless. :qd: (So is the list of stuff starkad started working on and then abandoned at some point)
I just tried entering information for AOL and you're right, I don't see it show up anywhere. That still makes it confusing that there's a field to enter it in the first place. My complaint was mainly about the useless fields in the profile editors in the first place so my post still stands.

That's really sad to hear, I'm sure if the code was entirely your own it would be much easier to do things for the site in general. Maybe a scheduled downtime for the site wouldn't be a bad thing though? I'm not a coder myself but maybe you could post a call for volunteers in Announcements to spread out the workload and get the site up to snuff?

(0) (0)

Posted: Oct 18th, '19, 22:03    

TrickyLA

@Firn

I'm not sure why you deleted your post, but I know that I haven't seen a proper call for volunteers post from you in a very long time, if ever. If you're worried about people posting publicly and then not following through, you could just make the announcement and lock the thread. That way people have to PM you and the correspondence stays private between you and them.

Have you considered making a Discord server for KofK? You'd be able to keep track of who is doing what in one place there without a bunch of e-mails and PMs.

(2) (0)

[ 8 posts ]