Avatar Shopping Community Knuffel Quests Donate My Account Help

Jump to:

[ 1283 posts ] 
 Post subject: Re: Feature Requests - Post your ideas here!
Posted: Jul 17th, '08, 10:15    

Illustrator
Firn

Hugs: 213064
Mood: [¬º-°]¬
Probably, and because I don't have a TV.
:qo:

(0) (0)

Posted: Jul 17th, '08, 10:23    

Mikael Hart

Hugs: 193191
Mood: Hugs are death squeezes.
Website: http://www.gaiaonline.com/profiles/mikael-hart/6844374/
Yeah, the "no TV" thing will probably do it. XD; You can watch/read a lot of anime/manga online, though. ...but if you're a busy person, I wouldn't recommends it. Many of my friends and I have turned into anime zombies whenever we find a good series; that is, we become so engrossed in the anime that we spend days sitting around and doing nothing but watching it. I remember when I was trying to catch up to Naruto Shippuden via online manga and was so sucked into the story that I forgot to eat. XD; My friend had a similar problem when I recommended Death Note... anime is a pretty dangerous thing.

(I'm still working on making that thread, btw. Just trying to make sure I remember to put everything in there.)

(0) (0)

Posted: Jul 17th, '08, 10:41    

Illustrator
Firn

It's rather hard for an anime to catch my attention. From time to time I look into the 1st episode of a series, but most of them don't seem to be so interesting.
I don't like the all Shojo-Animes with the "Girl falls in love with boy, they keep fighting all the time and then become a couple"-storyline and somehow almost every Anime I decided to watch seemed to be something like this.

There are a few series I really love though, and Death Note is one of them. :qh:
But I think the only Anime series I've watched for the past 3 or 4 years were Death Note, XXXHolic, Blood+ and Kenshin. :qwor:
I've seen a couple of Anime movies also.

Oh, I think starkad will kill me, I completely messed up in the Admin panel.

(0) (0)

Posted: Jul 17th, '08, 11:16    

Mikael Hart

Firn wrote:I don't like the all Shojo-Animes with the "Girl falls in love with boy, they keep fighting all the time and then become a couple"-storyline and somehow almost every Anime I decided to watch seemed to be something like this.

There are a few series I really love though, and Death Note is one of them. :qh:
But I think the only Anime series I've watched for the past 3 or 4 years were Death Note, XXXHolic, Blood+ and Kenshin. :qwor:
I've seen a couple of Anime movies also.

Oh, I think starkad will kill me, I completely messed up in the Admin panel.

I know what you mean about the shoujo genre. I also feel that it's a bit demeaning to women in the sense that the girls seem to be so dependent on men and relationships, as if those were the only things that mattered in their life. I thought society got up and over that; it's not as common an occurrence as in, say, shounen anime. Really, those shoujo heroines are such a bad influence on little girls.

If you're looking for a story where girls have the lead role and kick butt, might I recommend [Claymore]? It's a story set in a world that's full of monsters who disguise themselves as humans, like a wolf in sheep skin. These monsters prey on humans, and they can only be destroyed are by silver-eyed warrior women, who are half monsters themselves. It's a pretty good series.

If you like something that's directed towards a life story, I've found [Hikaru no Go] quite intriguing. It's one of the few anime that I don't get tired of watching over and over. The story revolves around a young boy who discovers an old board game, "go" (hmm...I can only compare this to chess) in his grandfather's attic and somehow releases the spirit of an ancient go player upon its discovery. The spirit then begins to teach him the ways of go, and though reluctant at first, the story goes on to tell of how that board game becomes a part of this boy's life. What I love about this series is not only the animation and the story itself, but also the growth of the characters, inwardly and outwardly.

Hmm... for a last recommendation, I'll leave you with [Hunter x Hunter]. The story is about a young boy who goes on adventures to find his father, who has left him shortly after his birth. It's an action-adventure story with many good themes and interesting character interaction. This series is another one that I'll never tire of. The protagonist, Gon, is a very unusual character in the sense that he is his own judge of what is good and bad. He seems to have animal-like senses, and this shows in his way of thinking and judgment as well. It's a very cute story, especially in terms of friendship.

And to reply to the rest of your post:

Death Note is much better as a manga than the anime. You can read it online [here]. xxxHolic is also another series I'm fond of (again, manga over anime, though I've read and seen both). I don't recall watching/reading Blood+, but I did have a vague interest in Kenshin when my friend lent me the first few episodes. I really like their opening theme, Sobaksu (was that spelled right?), aka. Freckles. Very cute song; I like both the original and translated versions.

What anime movies have you seen? I don't really remember any that stand out for me. XD;

Ah, and I see what you mean about the Admin Control Panel. Woops. XD; Er, but don't worry, I'm not going to touch it.

(0) (0)

Posted: Jul 17th, '08, 11:29    

Illustrator
Firn

I am more a fan of dark themed animes. Don't know why. It's not the kind of movies I'd nornaly watch, but as Anime I really enjoy this genre.

The Mangas are always better than the anime. Same as books are always better than movies.

I don't think I could name you all the movies I've seen. I've seen some of them at university and often forgot the title again.
But one that's worth seeing is Tokyo Godfathers. I can really recommend it. When we showed it an university almost no one came because the story didn't sound so interesting ( http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/t ... index.html ) but it's really good.
One of my most favourite anime movies ever is Vampire Hunter D. Most people I know don't seem to like it, but I am really fond of that movie and have it watched like 5 or 6 times.
Other than that I've watched most of the studio Ghibli movies, but who hasn't?

(0) (0)

Posted: Jul 17th, '08, 11:36    

Mikael Hart

Oh? I don't really remember watching any dark themed anime, unfortunately. XD I'm more of an action-adventure-fantasy person, be it in books, anime, or movies.

It's so true about the book/manga usually being better than the movie/anime. v__v; Original is always better, but when it comes to fight scenes, I'm always for the anime over manga (because dude, it looks so cool!). Anime also helps the fact that you can tell what's going on better at times because some panels are really hard to make sense of. XD;

Ah, I have Tokyo Godfathers! I love the reoccurring themes in the story, and noticing the little hints and signs (like the arrows). It was a cute and funny story.

Vampire Hunter D. I've heard of, but never watched. Maybe I should check it out sometime. I go for the Studio Ghibli movies, too. Miyazaki is brilliant in terms of capturing the quirks and details of a character. Well, he certainly has the age and experience for it.

I hope you don't mind that we've gone a little off-topic here. XD;

(0) (0)

Posted: Jul 17th, '08, 11:46    

Illustrator
Firn

Hehe...I keep wondering why the hell we are posting this in the Featured Request all the time. :qt:

I consider Death Note a "dark themed" anime. It doesn't have to be Vampires and all that stuff, I think Death Note has that sentimental dark note that I like so much.
I also like Fantasy stories, but I am not so much into every-day setting stories. I have enough normal life drama around me and do't nee dto watch it in Anime.

You should really watch Vampire Hunter D (But don't confuse it with the two old Vampire Hunter D movies, they are gross!
I mean the Bloodlust movie:
http://www.vampirehunterdbloodlust.com/
As far as I know it was originally dubbed in English, which is very interesting.

(0) (0)

Posted: Jul 17th, '08, 12:00    

Mikael Hart

XD We can't help ourselves?

Ah, you're right, Death Note is a dark themed anime! (How could I forget?) XD It was brilliantly written, though. I love all its little plot twists and mind games.

Ah, I see. A lot of people say that about those everyday stories, but I like them all the same, if they're interesting enough. When it comes to reading, however, I really lean towards medieval/mythological set fantasy stories. I went to the bookstore today, and while reading to pass the time (DC comics and teen novels) I came across a Greek era story that ended up winning me over, and I went home with two books instead of one. v__v;

Is the English dub any good? I'll bookmark it for tomorrow.

(0) (0)

Posted: Jul 17th, '08, 12:14    

Illustrator
Firn

It has been a while since I watched Bloodlust for the last time, but I recall the dub was pretty good.

What disturbs me a bit about Death Note is that they overdid it a bit to make it believable:
See, I think if Kira wanted to kill all these people just to make the world a better place it would be good (I mean, good for the anime!). It would bring up a really serious question: Is it okay to do evil in order to achieve something good? It would give anyone something to think about. You would wonder "Is Kira actually the bad guy or is he the good one?". But they messed it up by making him all crazy and "hahahaha! I will become the new god of this world" Harharhar!". You know? Like this they obviously made him the bad crazy guy. The anime would be somehow ...hmmm..."deeper" without this aspect.

And what I will never ever forgive them is that they killed L. How could they do this to me? :qsob:

Oh, well. I think I messed up some more things in order to fix it. (Starkad didn't reply so I messed around on my own. Good to know that I managed to make the admin panel go away for common users Just let me see whether I can fix the PM and profile problem without causing another catastrophe)

(0) (0)

Posted: Jul 17th, '08, 12:19    

Illustrator
Firn

I think I've fixed it now? Everything working again?

(0) (0)

[ 1283 posts ]