Sewing  16%  [ 33 ]
Weaving  2%  [ 5 ]
Embroidery  8%  [ 16 ]
Quilting  5%  [ 11 ]
Other (please tell me what so I can include it in the poll!)  18%  [ 37 ]
None  7%  [ 15 ]
Food  25%  [ 53 ]
Total votes : 210
 Post subject: Re: Chrizi's Crafty Corner - come chat!
Posted: Mar 10th, '18, 21:07    

jacobgrey

Hugs: 131194
Mood: (◡‿◡)
Hi, Buggabug!

Well, my market stall today didn't go so good. I didn't sell anything at all. A lot of people stopped by to talk and say they thought my work was gorgeous, and one or two people were really umming and ahhing but decided to walk away. I had a few enquiries about custom orders so I hope they'll come through. Otherwise it was a waste of a day, not to mention the money >.>

I spent the whole day embroidering a mini sign which reads, "custom orders open" XD I do have one more stall booked already, so I'll use it at that. Going to try to make some new products that people will like between now and then.

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
First fairy 8.4.15; 2nd 7.6.17
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Mar 12th, '18, 10:10    

Chrizine

Hugs: 110056
Mood: Elusive Crumpet
Oh, I'm sad to hear that! Hopefully there will really be some custom orders coming in from it at least.
The sign sounds like a good idea for your next stall :)
Maybe do some really small projects that don't take you a lot of time and you can sell for relatively cheap to get people to actually check your wares with an intent of buying? Like, if there are a few cheap little things, it's less intimidating than if you can see that all the items start above what you're comfortable spending on a whim. I don't know if I'm making any sense now, I don't even know what price point your items start at :D

I finally caught up far enough in my youtube feed to see your video of the dresses :) Those are some really gorgeous colours and fabrics :)
(I always try to watch my youtube subscriptions somewhat chronologically, but lately I didn't have much time for it, so I'm really far behind)

(0) (0)
My personal Quest thread:

And my buying thread!

My crafty hangout thread, where I talk about my sewing and crocheting projects and would love to hear about any kind of projects you do (or just come chat, that's fine too!):
Most urgent wishes currently:

ImageImageImageImageImage
Ehlenia Eyes (Aqua), Eyrion Fan (Claret), Jiniri Hair (Mocha), Lunar Night Banshee Hair (Blue White), Bat Momma Eyes (Ecru)

Check out jacobgrey's awesome interactive Harry Potter Fanfiction thread!

I'm on Flight Rising and Tattered Weave as well- feel free to friend me!

Posted: Mar 12th, '18, 13:43    

jacobgrey

Same here, I add all my sub videos to a "watch later" list and it's now over 40 videos long >.> I'll get to it eventually haha. Last couple of days I've had no time to vlog so you'll catch up on me soon XD

Yeah, my lowest price was £20 and I think people were spending more like £10. I want to make some greeting cards which have a small amount of embroidery on the front next. I can sell those for £5 each maximum and that will hopefully help. I also want to make small hoops with pre-made designs like unicorns and other kid things, and then offer on-the-day customisation. So the hoop alone will be £10 and for £5 I can add the kid's name to it sort of thing.

Also I'm thinking of making smaller things like bracelets which won't cost much to make or take very long, which I don't think would sell on Etsy, so that I can just sell them on the stall for £5-10. That I think will help as well.

Then I'm hoping that maybe people will see the cheap stuff and buy it, and it will be a gateway drug to the bigger stuff XD

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Mar 16th, '18, 11:36    

Chrizine

That all sounds like you have a ton of good ideas :)

But yeah, that gateway drug idea was what I had in mind as well :D

(0) (0)

And my buying thread!

My crafty hangout thread, where I talk about my sewing and crocheting projects and would love to hear about any kind of projects you do (or just come chat, that's fine too!):

Ehlenia Eyes (Aqua), Eyrion Fan (Claret), Jiniri Hair (Mocha), Lunar Night Banshee Hair (Blue White), Bat Momma Eyes (Ecru)

Posted: Mar 16th, '18, 17:02    

jacobgrey

Better yet, having made a few, I think I can actually sell the cards for more like £3 so more people will be interested in buying them :D I'm enthused about this.

After I've done the small hoops I also think I might stop making hoops for a while because I'm getting a bit tired of them. The designs I have, I can put on actual useful things maybe, like tote bags and t-shirts and so on. I'll see how they sell obviously, if I suddenly start selling way more hoops then I'll make more.

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Mar 16th, '18, 18:36    

Chrizine

Oh, are the cards less work than you thought? That's great, at that price point surely people will be less hesitant about buying something :)

I think putting the designs on useful items might also be a good idea for sales - i personally at least would be more inclined to buy something cute which was also a useful item, not some decoration that I'd need to find a good place for.

Have you thought about bookmarks? Should be similar work to cards, but slightly different in who likes them, so if you offer both, more people might be interested. Bookmarks are such a typical little gift to grab because you have someone that you gift a book but you want a little something extra to make it more interesting. I could imagine those selling well.

(0) (0)

And my buying thread!

Posted: Mar 16th, '18, 19:36    

jacobgrey

Yes, they take a really small amount of time as it turns out. I bought a card perforating needle a while back so I could embroider some photographs, and that means it takes literally just a couple of minutes to print the card and set up holes. Then I used a simple font with straight lines so I can sew it in no time at all, even with some bead and sequin embellishments. I could probably do 5 an hour or something like that, and since I'm only sewing them while I watch things I need to watch for research, I don't need to pay myself an hourly rate anyway.

Bookmarks could work too! I already know how to make them because they first thing I ever sewed was a bookmark. I could do a little dangly bead thing on the end for weight as well, so they drop into the book nicely and don't fall down through the pages.

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Mar 16th, '18, 23:31    

Chrizine

That sounds really good :) And it's especially nice that you can do them on the side while watching something.

Oh yes, dangly beads sound like a good idea! I was thinking of making the base of the bookmark from cardboard, similarly to cards, but sewing them sounds even nicer, actually.

(0) (0)

And my buying thread!

Posted: Mar 17th, '18, 15:00    

jacobgrey

I would probably put card in the middle of the fabric, to kind of keep it stiff? I'm not sure if that would weirdly make them feel cheap, though. I'll have to experiment. I know not everyone likes a soft bookmark so maybe I'll make types of both :)

I finished sewing my first set of five birthday cards last night. I've done four designs and I'm starting with five of each. Once I've made those I'm just going to focus on bracelets, maybe five of those, and afterwards it will be bookmarks. I'll see how far I get before the next stall, 14th April. Oh, I should also sew some more price tags I guess XD

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Mar 17th, '18, 22:39    

Chrizine

Hm, I'm not sure what would be better. I don't think stiffening them with card would necessarily make them feel cheap, only if it's badly cut out and doesn't really match the shape of the bookmark as a whole maybe.

That sounds like you're making good progress :) There's still almost a month left until your stall, so I'm sure you can finish what you have planned now. But yeah, you'll need some price tags for your new item categories! :D

Remember me talking about the shirt needing washing? Yeah, it's dry by now, but the stains didn't wash out. Which really confuses me, since it was just a bit of melted butter. But oh well, I'll just have to put some stain remover stuff on them and wash again, I guess...

(0) (0)

And my buying thread!

[ 734 posts ]