Sewing  16%  [ 33 ]
Weaving  2%  [ 5 ]
Embroidery  8%  [ 16 ]
Quilting  5%  [ 11 ]
Other (please tell me what so I can include it in the poll!)  18%  [ 37 ]
None  7%  [ 15 ]
Food  25%  [ 53 ]
Total votes : 210
 Post subject: Re: Chrizi's Crafty Corner - come chat!
Posted: Mar 18th, '18, 16:31    

jacobgrey

Hugs: 131326
Mood: (◡‿◡)
Oh, maybe it was extra greasy butter. Hopefully the stain remover gets the job done!

I have this bad habit though of getting distracted, and then it's only a day before the stall and I realise I didn't finish anything xD But I'm determined to get things done right now.

Although I did buy a couple of Monster High dolls on discount >.> my next project, probably hopefully after the stall, is to learn stuff like repainting, rerooting, and sewing clothes for them. Mostly for fun but I'll probably end up selling clothes too xD Oh man I already know I am going to get distracted by this~

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
First fairy 8.4.15; 2nd 7.6.17
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Mar 18th, '18, 21:37    

Chrizine

Hugs: 110182
Mood: Elusive Crumpet
I hope so too! Would be a shame to ruin the shirt before it was even fully finished -.-

Hahaha, that does sound dangerously distracting! But sewing clothes for dolls might be a great way to use up some leftover fabric scraps :)

(0) (0)
My personal Quest thread:

And my buying thread!

My crafty hangout thread, where I talk about my sewing and crocheting projects and would love to hear about any kind of projects you do (or just come chat, that's fine too!):
Most urgent wishes currently:

ImageImageImageImageImage
Ehlenia Eyes (Aqua), Eyrion Fan (Claret), Jiniri Hair (Mocha), Lunar Night Banshee Hair (Blue White), Bat Momma Eyes (Ecru)

Check out jacobgrey's awesome interactive Harry Potter Fanfiction thread!

I'm on Flight Rising and Tattered Weave as well- feel free to friend me!

Posted: Mar 19th, '18, 14:51    

jacobgrey

I um made some jeans for one of them already >.> I'm bad. But I'm using up a pair of my own old jeans that got a hole in them, so yeah, it's a great way to use up stuff XD I might actually get through some of my fat quarters this way too, all I do is buy like 16 and use 1 and then buy 16 more because I shop too impulsively.

I also started on restyling the hair for one of them, but it didn't really work even though I followed a tutorial where I saw it working fully. Hmm. Might need to try it again.

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Apr 3rd, '18, 17:00    

Chrizine

Hm, the hair is probably a matter of practice and figuring out what works on the kind of doll that you have?

I managed to get the stain out of my shirt now, and I already ironed it (sadly, the fabric turned out to wrinkle quite a lot and it needs the ironing -.-), now I just need to take some pictures. Hopefully I'll manage to do that in the next few days, considering I'm on easter break right now.

I started working on the bobble bag yesterday, cut out some of the fabric and sowed around the edges so that I can start trying some ribbon embroidery on it now :) Probably won't start today though, since my bfs mom is coming over for dinner in an hour, so it feels like if I start now I'll have to stop so soon it will be frustrating, especially when trying out something completely new where you might need some time to figure out what to do.

(0) (0)

And my buying thread!

My crafty hangout thread, where I talk about my sewing and crocheting projects and would love to hear about any kind of projects you do (or just come chat, that's fine too!):

Ehlenia Eyes (Aqua), Eyrion Fan (Claret), Jiniri Hair (Mocha), Lunar Night Banshee Hair (Blue White), Bat Momma Eyes (Ecru)

Posted: Apr 3rd, '18, 17:12    

jacobgrey

It's a little weird because the tutorial was for the same kind of doll. But I think maybe my particular one has been pre-treated quite strongly, so I might try it again with hotter water which might help.

I haven't had a lot of time though XD I made a little dress for her but it didn't go well, I have to figure out a way to do the seams without having velcro or zips on me because her hips are a lot wider than her waist. J suggested just sew it onto her, but that's not great practise for real-life sewing situations -_-

Anyway, I'm making good progress on my skirt. I actually have one full piece of fabric now haha. All the sides sewn together and pockets on the front. It looks ugly and I've made a lot of mistakes but I'm learning so much I barely care XD

Sounds good, hoping to see some soon~ aww yeah I got interrupted a couple of nights ago when I was making good progress and it was so annoying, I didn't want to put it down and walk away.

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Apr 3rd, '18, 22:21    

Chrizine

Hm, weird, then one would expect it to just work... Good luck with the hotter water, maybe that'll help :)

Yeah, sewing clothes directly onto the body isn't really an option in real life :D
Maybe you could make a somewhat more loose dress and then tie a ribbon or something around her waist as a belt?
I could imagine some cute styles like that.

Oh, that sounds great! So much progress :) What do you still need to do on it? I'm sure it's not ugly, even if it has the imperfections of being a learner's piece.

That does sound annoying! Hm, the visit's over now, should I start? It's kinda late already, but I wanna :D Maybe I can just try one very simple flower tonight...

Edit: Ok, I did try :D
Here's what I managed: click
Obviously not perfect, but I think it looks okay as a start :)
I did have a really hard time getting the needle with the ribbon through the fabric at all though, so I'm wondering - is my ribbon weird, is my needle just too big (I used a kinda normal sewing needle I had lying around because the eye just fit my widest ribbon), is my fabric strange?
Do you have any tips on how to best stretch the fabric over the hoop? It seemed kinda loose the way I did it and that wasn't really helping my problems either.

(0) (0)

And my buying thread!

Posted: Apr 4th, '18, 15:34    

jacobgrey

Ahhh cute!! Well, I guess I can only say how I do it: I put the bottom of the hoop down and the fabric over the top, then push the top part over it so it helps to create some tension right away. Tighten that as much as possible, and then go all around the edges of the fabric gently pulling it a small bit at a time to get it all as tight as possible, and keep tightening the hoop while doing that to ensure it doesn't slip out again. Then I test it to see if it's tight like a drum if I hit it. If not, take it out and try again haha.

Oooh yeah that would work - I could make it like a wrap dress almost as well, so it does up after it's on the body. Ideas, ideas... you know this is bad because I shouldn't be working on these ideas X'D

I made some more progress last night, so close now. There's a belt which goes around the top to help it wrap around the body (I've been doing it for so long I had forgotten it was a wrap skirt actually haha), so I have started that and need to finish the top belt. Sew that to the main skirt, create the back part of the belt and sew that to the top belt. Then fold everything up and sew the edge of the back belt to the skirt so it's one solid piece. Finally, trim the seams and hem the edges. Not much to do at all XD Also I may add some decorative trim, maybe ribbon or lace embroidery, to the edges of the pockets and other places where my machine sewing is a little messy. I only had black thread left but I was too impatient to go to the store for thread that wouldn't show up >.>

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Apr 4th, '18, 15:45    

Chrizine

Hm, that tugging while tightening sounds promising, I shall try that :)
I just put the fabric over the bottom hoop and kinda tried to pull on the sides while putting on the top hoop and two hands are not enough to make that really effective :D

Oh yeah, a wrap dress sounds cute too! :) Haha, I know how you feel, I want to continue my flower so much right now, but I should be doing exercises for uni -.-

That does sound like you're almost done with it! Hiding some messy parts with decorations sounds like a great idea, I'm curious how it will end up looking :)

(0) (0)

And my buying thread!

Posted: Apr 4th, '18, 15:51    

jacobgrey

By the way, your avi right now is so pretty :qh: :pm: ~

Yeah, I find that often XD There are so many times I'm just swearing at the hoop, especially with some horrible plastic ones I got that are really tight. You can't pull anything through once they're in place because they grip so tightly, so those ones are so hard to get right.

I'm supposed to be running two businesses >.> Nope going to go sew a skirt hahahaha /dies

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Apr 4th, '18, 15:57    

Chrizine

Thank you! :) I like yours as well! And I see we both found the new fans exciting to play with ;)

Mine's not plastic, it's some kind of wood, so I guess there's hope for me yet ;)

Hahaha, oh well, one needs something beside work to make one happy! We discussed that just yesterday, because my bfs mom and me both think that he needs to find some kind of hobby to be less stressed out and frustrated by uni. I find crafting stuff incredibly relaxing and it takes my brain right off all the nasty stuff I might have piling up, it's so nice...

(0) (0)

And my buying thread!

[ 734 posts ]