Sewing  16%  [ 33 ]
Weaving  2%  [ 5 ]
Embroidery  8%  [ 16 ]
Quilting  5%  [ 11 ]
Other (please tell me what so I can include it in the poll!)  18%  [ 37 ]
None  7%  [ 15 ]
Food  25%  [ 53 ]
Total votes : 210
 Post subject: Re: Chrizi's Crafty Corner - come chat!
Posted: Oct 31st, '19, 09:52    

Chrizine

Hugs: 110373
Mood: Elusive Crumpet
Mona, that sounds sensible, learning the ropes on something small first before you jump into your masterpiece :)
I just read the story of it in confetti rain, it's so lovely of you to make this for your grandma! I'm sure she'll be super happy to have something made by you on her wall :)
How's the needle threading going? I usually just look closely and poke the thread right through, but then I have very good eyes. I've seen a video of a trick where you put the thread on the ball of your palm and then sort of rub the needle over it and it magically threads itself once. I tried it and it didn't seem quite as easy and reliable as in the video, but it did work with a few tries.

Jacob, hahaha, I would have done the same thing :D
Great that it arrived!
I'm currently sitting on this train in my halloween outfit (which is just giving the clothes from my goth phase some love basically, haven't decided if I'm a dark witch or a vampire or something) like a crazy person. Nobody else here is wearing anything out of the ordinary. I'm curious what my coworkers will say :D But I think they're already used to me dressing a bit eccentrically...

(0) (0)
My personal Quest thread:

And my buying thread!

My crafty hangout thread, where I talk about my sewing and crocheting projects and would love to hear about any kind of projects you do (or just come chat, that's fine too!):
Most urgent wishes currently:

ImageImageImageImageImage
Ehlenia Eyes (Aqua), Eyrion Fan (Claret), Jiniri Hair (Mocha), Lunar Night Banshee Hair (Blue White), Bat Momma Eyes (Ecru)

Check out jacobgrey's awesome interactive Harry Potter Fanfiction thread!

I'm on Flight Rising and Tattered Weave as well- feel free to friend me!

Posted: Oct 31st, '19, 13:42    

jacobgrey

Hugs: 131531
Mood: (◡‿◡)
Haha that's so fun Chrizine! I quite like walking around in costumes etc. Only if I'm in London tbf though, our little town here is very conservative and I don't even like walking in my 'fashion' outfits here. I have to get to the train station for LFW every season and it's excruciating how everyone will stare and frown.
We're having our dinner party tomorrow night since it will be Friday, so I have still one more day to wait. Tomorrow I will likely not be online as I'll be cooking all day XD

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
First fairy 8.4.15; 2nd 7.6.17
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Oct 31st, '19, 18:03    

demonajay

Hugs: 3381
Mood: Talkative
Oh I just have some actual needle threaders from my beading phase. It's no big deal. I'll send you to amazon to watch a video of what it does and you can order like 20 for a few bucks if you're into it after seeing the video.

(0) (0)

Posted: Nov 3rd, '19, 16:49    

Chrizine

Ah, the little wire thingies that you just poke through the needle instead of the thread and then they give you a bigger hole to poke the actual thread through? Right, I have one like that too, I'm just too lazy to get it out of the drawer more often than not. I'm usually quicker without it.

I took some pictures of my tablet weaving at last!

Here we go, this was my first try:
It's a short band, I could wrap it around my wrist twice to wear as a bracelet or try wearing it as a choker in principle.
But it was really just the practice piece to try the technique on, the pattern is just what they used in the beginners tutorial.

Now I'm working on this one, I'm going to make it long enough to fit around my head as a circlet to hold a veil for my medieval faire outfit with:

And that's the tablets part of the weaving:
They're just cardboard squares with some holes punched through, all homemade.

I didn't take a picture of the whole setup from further away since my desk is way too messy ;) But the ends of the threads are just tied to two screw clamps that are fixed to my desk.

(0) (0)

And my buying thread!

My crafty hangout thread, where I talk about my sewing and crocheting projects and would love to hear about any kind of projects you do (or just come chat, that's fine too!):

Ehlenia Eyes (Aqua), Eyrion Fan (Claret), Jiniri Hair (Mocha), Lunar Night Banshee Hair (Blue White), Bat Momma Eyes (Ecru)

Posted: Nov 3rd, '19, 19:32    

jacobgrey

@Chrizine was this an online tutorial you found? Looks so cool, I want to give it a try!

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Nov 3rd, '19, 22:40    

demonajay

that's so awesome! I had to take out my work and start over somehow ended up with 4 stitches instead of 8 I don't have a clue what I did wrong. Probably put the knot way too close to the work...Said I needed to move it an inch away I have no freakin clue being left handed doesn't really help...I think.

(0) (0)

Posted: Nov 3rd, '19, 23:25    

jacobgrey

I would help but I can't work out what you mean from that. I wasn't really aware the knot had to be in a specific place, I always just tie off the thread and directly begin stitching from the same point with both embroidery and cross stitching.

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Nov 4th, '19, 01:07    

Chrizine

It was an online tutorial, but a German one... It's here, in case you want to have a go at it with google translate or something, but that might be a bit diffiult...
I'm sure there must be english tutorials for it somewhere online too, though.

Hm, I don't really understand what might have gone wrong with your cross stitching either, Mona. Did it go better the second time around? If not, maybe you can post a picture of the situation and we'll be able to help better?

On an unrelated note: I finally made that Art Contest thread I wanted to do! *confetti rain* (mem's rubbing off on me :D)
Here it is: click
Just need to finish going over my items for the item prize pool now... But not tonight, it's past midnight already, I should already be fast asleep.

(0) (0)

And my buying thread!

Posted: Nov 4th, '19, 01:31    

jacobgrey

Going immediately to take a look at this thread! And the tutorial too, I'll see how complex it is on translate.

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Nov 4th, '19, 01:47    

demonajay

It told me to start working away from the knot and work my way towards it so I can lock it in with the stitches. "No ugly knots on cross stitch" Bull crap to me waste of thread to tangle it up with others so it'll stay...Geez.

edit: I'll probably take pictures of the book to show you if that doesn't make since now.

I need to invest in a digital cam to take pictures if this is gonna be a normal thing.

(0) (0)

[ 734 posts ]