Sewing  16%  [ 33 ]
Weaving  2%  [ 5 ]
Embroidery  8%  [ 16 ]
Quilting  5%  [ 11 ]
Other (please tell me what so I can include it in the poll!)  18%  [ 37 ]
None  7%  [ 15 ]
Food  25%  [ 53 ]
Total votes : 210
 Post subject: Re: Chrizi's Crafty Corner - come chat!
Posted: Jan 10th, '18, 11:22    

jacobgrey

Hugs: 130654
Mood: (◡‿◡)
I think it's probably fine to do it without knowing embroidery first. It's a new technique to learn either way, right? And even if there are embroidery techniques used, you can just learn them in the context of using the ribbons.

I know, seriously. She doesn't understand the labour required, I don't think.

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
First fairy 8.4.15; 2nd 7.6.17
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Jan 10th, '18, 18:36    

Chrizine

Hugs: 109515
Mood: Elusive Crumpet
That sounds good, yeah :) I think I'd really like to pick this up at some point. I should try finishing my current open projects first though ;)

Yeah, if she doesn't sew herself she might have thought "oh well, that's just one seam down the back, she probably only needs a few minutes for that" or something along those lines...

I did not end up spending the whole day sewing, I did some shopping in the first half of the day, but I just finished cutting out all my pieces. Now I'm thinking about trying to do a little bit of french seam on one of the scrap pieces of the fabric before continuing with the actual garment, since that will both allow me to practice that technique first and make sure that my sewing machine settings are alright.

Edit:
I completed a little tryout piece of french seam :) It took me awfully long to realize that the thread had not been correctly run through the machine in the beginning when the machine just seemed to eat my fabric -.- I was starting to get worried that this fabric was somehow really not working... :D
But then it all went nicely, the french seam doesn't seem too hard. I'm just wondering if maybe I should get a smaller needle, since the manual of the sewing machine recommends a smaller size for lightweight fabrics (which I think mine is) and the holes the needle made look rather big in the seam. I had already thought about this beforehand, but unfortunately our craft store was out of the mixed packs of needles that I would have liked to buy when I was there yesterday...

(0) (0)
My personal Quest thread:

And my buying thread!

My crafty hangout thread, where I talk about my sewing and crocheting projects and would love to hear about any kind of projects you do (or just come chat, that's fine too!):
Most urgent wishes currently:

ImageImageImageImageImage
Ehlenia Eyes (Aqua), Eyrion Fan (Claret), Jiniri Hair (Mocha), Lunar Night Banshee Hair (Blue White), Bat Momma Eyes (Ecru)

Check out jacobgrey's awesome interactive Harry Potter Fanfiction thread!

I'm on Flight Rising and Tattered Weave as well- feel free to friend me!

Posted: Jan 11th, '18, 14:41    

jacobgrey

Oooh yay that sounds great! Funny about the machine, I always think I've done something wrong before I realise that it's just the needle threaded wrong or the wrong tension or something XD I don't know why machines are so hard to use haha.

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Jan 14th, '18, 16:09    

Chrizine

I usually think it's the tension but it just ends up being incorrectly threaded :D
No idea why this is so hard, it actually seems pretty straightforward, but somehow it isn't...

I planned to start actually sewing my shirt yesterday, since I managed to buy smaller needles now, but I woke up with a terrible headache and didn't do much at all. I did manage to do some crocheting though, and realized that I haven't listed my current project for that here yet!

I'm doing a neckholder top with a crocheted back, because I have some white jersey left over from my skirt and it's not a lot, so I thought it'd be neat to just combine it with some crocheting :)
For the general cut I'm working loosely off a neckholder top that I have. The crocheting is just a rectangular piece that I do according to this pattern.

Progress pic

I also started looking at yarn and shawl patterns for my next crocheting project, since this seems like it's close to finishing now... But there's some hard decisions coming up there ^^

(0) (0)

And my buying thread!

My crafty hangout thread, where I talk about my sewing and crocheting projects and would love to hear about any kind of projects you do (or just come chat, that's fine too!):

Ehlenia Eyes (Aqua), Eyrion Fan (Claret), Jiniri Hair (Mocha), Lunar Night Banshee Hair (Blue White), Bat Momma Eyes (Ecru)

Posted: Jan 14th, '18, 17:51    

jacobgrey

I got my two new books delivered today! The beadwork one from the Royal School of Needlework is SO beautiful. I was looking through it and picturing 1000000 different projects as I went. I can't wait to get stuck into them 8D Still haven't had time to sew anymore since I got home but I'm hoping I'm almost at the end of the backlog of work.

Ooh that's so neat! I have no idea about crocheting so I'm in awe, I wouldn't have the slightest idea where to even start something like that even with the pattern :) Can't wait to see how it comes out.

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Jan 14th, '18, 18:06    

Chrizine

Oh, yay for new books! That sounds really good :) Can't wait to see what projects you will end up doing :)

Also yay for catching up with work!

I really like crocheting, it's so relaxing. Once I am used to the pattern that I'm doing at that moment, I can do it while watching videos or watching my bf play games (that's perfect, because I like doing that, but there's always moments where it's just dull to watch and having some crocheting work on my lap I can easily alternate between paying attention to the game and focusing on the work). I started crocheting because my bf gifted me a diy kit for a little crocheted teddy and that was really motivating, since it contained everything I needed to start the project as well as very basic instructions with pictures on how to do the stitches. I like working off youtube videos as well though, the pattern I linked should also have a video somewhere.

I finished the first two seams of my shirt just now :) It's just the shoulder seams though, so not a terrible lot yet :D But I can hang it over me and look ridiculous now ;) I think I'll have a little snack now and then continue on the side seams.

(0) (0)

And my buying thread!

Posted: Jan 14th, '18, 18:12    

jacobgrey

I like doing that too, except that my other half doesn't play games the way that I would play them XD He races through to get to the end, while I usually stop and talk to every NPC and take in every detail. I sit watching thinking, "But wait, what was that guy going to say to us? D:" haha. Actually in that case it's good to have something in hand to do instead of complaining XD

I was about to start doing some sewing just now while watching TV after quickly eating lunch, but the show we put on was too compelling and I couldn't look away :mcdead: some kind of ninja warrior rip-off but it was actually really good and I was really cheering on the competitors XD

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Jan 14th, '18, 18:24    

Chrizine

Oh, poor you :D My bf is more exploring everything and sometimes he's happy that I mention things he overlooks that he can still look at :) Sometimes it annoys him though, I think it depends a bit on the game. I'm mostly bored during longer fights or when he's just running around trying to get somewhere. We also have two different modes of doing this - some games he plays and I just watch, in that case he doesn't welcome many comments (except when they're really helpful because he can't remember something he needs to know or the like), other games we explicitly play together, so I get a say in what he does and we discuss a lot.

Hahaha, sometimes that happens :D I hope I won't get sucked into youtube now, since I turned it on for eating my sandwich :D
I couldn't sew while watching something, I still need to concentrate too much on it. Maybe that will change with experience, but for now I just crochet instead if I want to watch something :)

(0) (0)

And my buying thread!

Posted: Jan 14th, '18, 19:27    

jacobgrey

Haha that sounds perfect! I get bored during fight scenes, especially when he keeps dying and having to go back again. There was one game with a werewolf fight where I could basically recite the cutscene by the time he eventually defeated it :'D We used to play Minecraft together where we would actually share the controller, so he would fight stuff at night and I would build stuff in the day, but then I fell off a cliff and lost all my items and I got mad XD

I am almost at the point where I can't not do something with my hands while watching TV now, I'm so used to it haha. I have this technique of holding the sewing just under the screen in my line of vision, and I do a quick needle in-look up while pulling- needle down- look up while pulling thing. I probably have a really strong neck now XD

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Jan 14th, '18, 19:49    

Chrizine

Unskippable cutscenes before fights are the worst ^^
That way of sharing the minecraft sounds fun too :) I've never played minecraft. When I want to build something, I play sims ;) We've also had a lot of fun building things together in sims at some point.

Same here ^^ I usually play with my knuffel, crochet or play some games on FR or TW or something. If I have nothing else available, I'll play solitaire on my phone :D
Hm, I can imagine that that would work, yeah :)

I finished the first side seam :) I'm really glad I went for the french seams on this thing. In the side seam, I had to leave a small part open to later thread a ribbon through and I tried cleaning up the edge in that area with a ziczac stitch, it was horrible. I would go mad if I had to do that on all my edges! The french seams look nice and while they are a bit more sewing and a lot more pressing work, I think they're much less frustrating and will give a much cleaner result.

(0) (0)

And my buying thread!

[ 734 posts ]