Avatar Shopping Community Knuffel Quests Donate My Account Help

Jump to:

[ 21 posts ] 
Dad: What should we get for your mom's birthday 8U
Me: She wanted these books but I forgot the title u8  20%  [ 11 ]
Dad: Try to ask her slyly 8U/  11%  [ 6 ]
Me: "Hey, Ma, Dad wants to know the name of those books you wanted. No real reason. u8"  31%  [ 17 ]
Dad: That was sly BU  38%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 55
 Post subject: Buying Presents
Posted: May 31st, '20, 02:01    

Moi

Hugs: 323882
Mood: Know you're not alone.

I used to worry a lot when it came to buying people presents.
Mostly people I didn't really know.
Like for those school holiday parties. Secret Santa.

I remember this girl who I wasn't really close to inviting me to her party.
I had no idea what to get her because we didn't talk much and I was shocked she even invited me.
I ended up getting her some kiddy makeup.
It didn't dawn on me until after she opened it, that she was a tomboy and probably would never use the makeup.
I felt stupid. But she thanked me with a big smile.

I'm an oddball that prefers to get money instead of actual gifts.
I prefer money so I can get what I want.
Maybe it's because the gift anxiety I mentioned before.
Any gift anyone gets me - I will be grateful.
But I prefer money.

However, there's something that makes me so happy.
When people truly know what I like and get it for me.
It's just the fact that they know me and actually care to know what I like.
And they get it for me.
It makes me so happy xD

How do you feel when giving gifts?

(0) (0)

"I'll miss the winter
A world of fragile things
Look for me in the white forest
Hiding in a hollow tree (come find me)
I know you hear me,
I can taste it in your tears."

Post subject: Re: Buying Presents
Posted: Jun 6th, '20, 18:37    

Sanssouci

Hugs: 77791
When I get gifts, I feel kind of guilty picturing the money they spent unless it's something that I absolutely love or directly asked for. I don't give many gifts. I really just buy for my parents for christmas. I usually just buy my father food. And I sometimes make something for my mother. I crochet scarves, blankets, and hats.

(0) (0)

Posted: Jun 6th, '20, 19:11    

Reht

Hugs: 11435
I lover giving gifts!

(Maybe too much actually haha)

I will often buy things for friends with no real occassion in mind - just because I see something that makes me think of them c:

Although I'm terrible for remembering birthdays! So I guess that levels out with the random gift giving xP

(0) (0)
▃▅▆ The Inbetween ▆▅▃
A walk-in role-play hangout - please come and join C:

Posted: Jun 7th, '20, 14:20    

Arachne

Hugs: 48329
I actually hate giving presents to the people I don't know much about. It was a real nightmare back at school.

I've always been very silent and shy, so I wasn't really invited to the birthday parties beside starting years of elementary school and back then it's pretty easy to get a nice present (and it's also a task for parents, not kids).

But there is Christmas every year and all kids at school are forced to give each other presents. It was trully awful to get a proper gift and it was still usually not well received. I'm glad I've finished school many years ago.

However, if I actually know the person well, or just well enough, I actually like picking up gifts for them. It's especially fun if someone doesn't expect it or doesn't know much about it, so he or she wouldn't be able to get it on their own, but still likes it and enjoys it.

(0) (0)
I want to practise my English. If you see any mistakes, please send me a pm.

Why do some people use such a small font size? It hurts my eyes... :mcdead:

Posted: Jul 11th, '20, 13:44    

Koi

Hugs: 5268
Mood: i am a meat popsicle
Gift giving to everyone worries me XD I try my best to learn about them from mutual friends or learn about what a family member needs most- but it will aaaalways make me nervous.
Same for getting gifts <<; my reactions are poor and if I don't like something, you can easily read it on my face. So always worried about disappointing people.

(0) (0)

Posted: Jul 13th, '20, 23:53    

AutobotDen

Hugs: 18367
Mood: Wear a mask, Save Lives!
Reht wrote:I lover giving gifts!

(Maybe too much actually haha)

I will often buy things for friends with no real occassion in mind - just because I see something that makes me think of them c:

Although I'm terrible for remembering birthdays! So I guess that levels out with the random gift giving xP

Oh, look. it me. lol

As for getting gifts... most of the time, unless it's a specific group of people who know me well, I'd rather have cash or a gift card, because unless I specifically link stuff to the others who get me gifts, they tend to get what they "think" I'd like, while claiming "You're so hard to shop for". No, I'm not. You just don't want to make the effort to actually get to know me and what I like and dislike. That, and you're too ashamed to be seen buying Transformers for me.

(0) (0)
Wishlist items at current:

Posted: Jul 14th, '20, 13:27    

Luluannabell

Hugs: 40845
Mood: ~<3
I'm terrible at thinking of gifts to get. We always ask each other what we want for Christmas or birthday in my family, but if it gets to one of my friends or something, my brain does not turn on. Takes me at least two weeks to think of something.

My brother is marrying soon. I wish he had a wedding list or something. I don't know what he wants.

But giving a good gift I do like. I like seeing people happy.

(0) (0)
help

Posted: Aug 6th, '20, 23:54    

kitah810

Hugs: 6193
I enjoy getting gifts for the people that I am close to, but when it comes to someone I don't know that well I always go with cash or one of those visa gift cards that you can use anywhere.

(0) (0)

Posted: Aug 7th, '20, 08:42    

Akili Li

Hugs: 222016
Mood: Crumbly Crumpet
I have an enormous chest full of random "gift" stuff that doesn't really have a recipient lined up.

I see something interesting, at a reasonable rate, I get it. Particularly during travel (I love street fairs, no matter what country). Or if I am crafting and end up with something I wasn't expecting and can't use for the original purpose, same thing.

It goes in the Gift Box (which is what I call that chest. I ended up with several hope chests from the family, and you can't call them all "the hope chest", it's confusing. So one's the linen chest and one's the hope chest and one's the gift box).

Then when I talk with someone and it comes out that actually, they're interested in this item tucked away in the chest, *boom!* Gifted. With lots of excited hand-waving and the story of how I got it/made it and it just sat there unappreciated until they revealed that, really, they were the perfect home for it.

These occasions RARELY line up with "gift-giving" occasions. For those I make people pop-up cards and serenade them and hand them baked goods. (Dignity is seriously overrated. Making people laugh at you because you're goofing around serenading them with made up lyrics *is* a gift).

It kind of works out?

Mostly it works because the people I am close enough to do this with have LONG since figured out that normal and I are not really even nodding acquaintances, so they know not to expect typical, and usually even if they don't want it they can go "Oh but she likes me and is thinking of me and wants to share something neat with me" and get pleasure out of that, even if they don't from the gift, and just sell it or set it aside or even hand it back and go, "Yes, we talked about mandalas yesterday but I was more into the geometry and not the art so you'd better keep it"
or whatever.

So... you know... it mostly works.

And if I've not found anything for someone in a long while and feel like they're overdue or need cheering up or something, I invite them over to pick something from the Gift Box themselves. Not that that's been possible lately, but whatever, I've had this thing for long enough that the habit still seems relevant.

(0) (0)
I want to buy or trade for these knuffels:
Earth Gen 18, Light Gen 19, Fire Gen 21, Air/Light/Water Gen 22, Light Gen 23, Earth/Light Gen 25, Darkness Gen 26.
Please PM me if you can help!

Posted: Aug 7th, '20, 14:20    

kitah810

Hugs: 6193
That would be awesome, to have a friend that just has a box full of random gifts they bought/made. I'm used to giving gifts and it not being appreciated, no matter how much thought I put into it. So I go the safe route and just get them cash or a gift card. The last gift I bought was appreciated, it was a picture from Ace Ventura, the one where he's essentially being "birthed" from the robotic rhino he was sitting in. A friend of mine loves those movies, and that was his favorite scene. So I bought him a framed pic of it and he loved it.

(0) (0)

[ 21 posts ]