Avatar Shopping Community Knuffel Quests Donate My Account Help

Jump to:

[ 20 posts ] 
Happy Pride Month :3
I want everyone to know that you matter and are loved.  46%  [ 21 ]
And I want you to always love yourselves.  54%  [ 25 ]
Total votes : 46
 Post subject: Re: Why Is That Important?
Posted: Jul 10th, '20, 01:55    

Kuuki

Hugs: 263285
Rayven wrote:That is one of my favorite movies. :qsml:

Come to think of it, I think they've asked me some odd questions when I went to give blood too. I can't remember all of them because it's been so many years, but I believe they involved needing to know who my partner had been with. Like I could ever know for sure. *rolls eyes*
For giving blood it's actually a matter of making sure the blood (and you, and the nurse doing it, and the patient(s) the blood is going to) are safe and doesn't need time and money intensive testing to be sure of that.
Like you can't give blood if you have had a new partner in the last few months or if you've travelled abroad or just if you're on your period.
Some countries have even more restrictions, like where I'm at I can't give blood because I lived in another country between 1988 and 1997 or something like that.

To get back on topic though, isn't it mostly the US doing it though?
I've never been asked anything like this in the two countries I've lived in.

(0) (0)
Life in Japan and more at MARCH STORY

Posted: Jul 10th, '20, 02:57    

JosieQ

Hugs: 88162
Mood: Overwhelmed and despondent.
Hm, perhaps we're giving them too much credit and the US are just nosy little bitches. :mcsmirk:

(0) (0)

Posted: Jul 11th, '20, 07:20    

Moi

Hugs: 323947
Mood: Know you're not alone.

That wouldn't be unusual.
A lot of people seem to not be able to mind their own business in the US xD

(0) (0)

"I'll miss the winter
A world of fragile things
Look for me in the white forest
Hiding in a hollow tree (come find me)
I know you hear me,
I can taste it in your tears."

Posted: Aug 7th, '20, 00:09    

kitah810

Hugs: 6193
At my therapist's office I never had to disclose my sexual orientation, but every time I go to the doctor I have to. I don't mind telling them, but if it's just a routine checkup why do I have to disclose that on the paperwork every time?

(0) (0)

Posted: Aug 7th, '20, 08:59    

Akili Li

Hugs: 222089
Mood: Crumbly Crumpet
The clinic I work at doesn't ask about orientation, but the basic intake forms do ask for both sex and gender. Mostly because they want to make sure to get pronouns right, but also because they do a lot of musculoskeletal work, and that does get impacted by the physical sex.
(For instance, I didn't know this until I started working there, but apparently a male's iliac crests are higher than a female's. So if you are looking at low back / lumbar pain, for example, and there's pelvic dysfunction of some sort, then where the pain goes and how it manifests will be different for a male or a female. I don't remember all the specifics but there were a few cases where it made a surprising difference. Like if it was actually a hip issue, and the SI joint or the low back was trying to compensate, the areas of stress would be different? I think? I need to ask about it again, that feels fuzzy as a memory.)

Not that that helps figure out the mystery of why they'd want to know sexual orientation.
:qsweat:

(0) (0)
I want to buy or trade for these knuffels:
Earth Gen 18, Light Gen 19, Fire Gen 21, Air/Light/Water Gen 22, Light Gen 23, Earth/Light Gen 25, Darkness Gen 26.
Please PM me if you can help!

Posted: Aug 7th, '20, 14:12    

kitah810

Hugs: 6193
Asking about sex and gender makes sense, I understand that. You're right though that it doesn't explain why they would want sexual orientation. Someone could be female, but identify as male, that doesn't mean though that they're into women just because they identify as male, they could like men. Or both. Or none. It doesn't make sense to me why they would need it, unless it is for studies like 1 in 3 gay men are prone to be more depressed, etc.

(0) (0)

Posted: Oct 24th, '20, 11:36    

ShortAxel

Hugs: 9698
Sometimes it's because of funding and grants.

Not a therapist, but when I went to the domestic violence center in town they asked my orientation because there are specific funding grants for LGBT clients only. I didn't have to answer, but if I didn't the grants couldn't be used to help me.

(0) (0)

Posted: Oct 24th, '20, 20:26    

YourMajesty

Hugs: 32812
Mood: Dressed by a 9 year old.
Your sexual orientation or gender identification can absolutely affect your mental health, especially based on the atmosphere around you. Even if you don't realize it.

(0) (0)
Blank signature is blank.

Posted: Oct 31st, '20, 07:03    

kitestrings

Hugs: 8303
there is what was said above, and also the fact that sometimes medicine is discriminatory. for instance, if you're gay you can't donate blood.

(0) (0)
call me wren ☆ he/him pronouns
art blog | rate my art!
knuffels

Posted: Nov 2nd, '20, 06:06    

Suugar-Fiend

Hugs: 44885
Mood: .:::Sugarpiehoneybunchhhh..:::.
I agree it feels kind of unnecessary. I've always known I was straight and have no issues putting it down but i feel for people who could be rlly uncomfortable answering. It's the age old question of what is trully important to ask and what is not in healthcare. Theres like a whole biomedical ethics portion of this way back when I took it lol.

(0) (0)

[ 20 posts ]