Jump to:

[ 17 posts ] 
Which is more cute ?
Betta Fish  4%  [ 2 ]
Hamster  20%  [ 9 ]
Rat  20%  [ 9 ]
All of them <3  57%  [ 26 ]
Total votes : 46
 Post subject: Question not sure this right place to ask for pet owners.
Posted: Jun 19th, '20, 02:00    

moonlight_sonata

Hugs: 34059
Mood: Feeling bleh
I'm not sure which little pet to get and I was wondering if someone could share their insight if they own these pets I'm thinking about getting. If you could give me the pro's and the con's to thank you!

1. Betta Fish (not to sure about it)
2.Hamster
3. Rat

I want something small and easy to take care of and low cost to cause I'm on a really low budget on supporting myself lol :mcblush: .

Also its been a long time I use kofk so I'm back again XD. I wonder how many people remember me :mcheh: .

(0) (0)

Post subject: Re: Question not sure this right place to ask for pet owners
Posted: Jun 19th, '20, 02:21    

Moi

Hugs: 322305
Mood: Know you're not alone.

Welcome back~ I remember you 8>

I'm not an expert on any of them, but I did have a Betta Fish.
I have to say unless you know exactly what to do, I would consider something else.
I bought one thinking it wouldn't be that hard to take care of, and even though I did my best, he still died within a month.

(0) (0)

"I'll miss the winter
A world of fragile things
Look for me in the white forest
Hiding in a hollow tree (come find me)
I know you hear me,
I can taste it in your tears."

Posted: Jun 19th, '20, 02:34    

moonlight_sonata

Hello Moi I remember you to it nice talking to you again, how are you doing ? :)

Yeah I heard they got 100 day life span it what kind putting me off on getting one but it seem simple to take care of. I really don't want something to die on me so quickly. Sorry that he died so quickly :(.

(0) (0)

Posted: Jun 19th, '20, 19:56    

Reht

Hugs: 11392
moonlight_sonata wrote:Hello Moi I remember you to it nice talking to you again, how are you doing ? :)

Yeah I heard they got 100 day life span it what kind putting me off on getting one but it seem simple to take care of. I really don't want something to die on me so quickly. Sorry that he died so quickly :(.
Oh no no no - they do not have a 100 day life cycle unless their living conditions aren't adequate (or if they are already sick when you get them, which isn't uncommon with how bad most pet stores are with their fish)

They are, however, quite high maintenance and it can be expensive to get your initial set up.
You need at least a 5 gallon tank (but bigger is better if you have the space) with a heater and a filter and ideally you would need to buy the right chemicals to set up the tank (a good couple of weeks before you even get the fish you have to have the tank running and be monitoring it haha) and if the fish you buy already have diseases, you'll likely be needing to buy medicine for them fairly consistently through their lifespan. And if you're anything like me, you'll end up doing a ton of google searches on why your fish are looking unwell and end up having a weird amount of fish knowledge hahahaaa

Sorry, I'm a bit of a fish nut :mcheh:

There's a reason that they call keeping fish a 'hobby' haha

If you do decide to go for it still though, I'm happy to help with the learning curve lol.

Rats are super affectionate and very cute :3
You do need to get at least two though, because otherwise they get lonely - and you should try to handle them frequently otherwise they get bored (plus they'll get friendlier with you that way too c: )

(3) (0)
▃▅▆ The Inbetween ▆▅▃
A walk-in role-play hangout - please come and join C:

Posted: Jun 19th, '20, 20:06    

moonlight_sonata

Oh lordly I thought the fish be the most easy pet to take care of and less expensive one of the 3 choices I had listed ! To be honest I don't know anything about those two pets. So I wouldnt know how to handle/care for the fish without having to do the right research. And I'm super weak been having day's where lifted a galloon of milk with one hand is super heavy for me. And thinking about cleaning the fish tank sound heavy @.@ ! I was thinking one those little bowl for tank but I still feel bad little space for it to swim around in to. I be more sad if it dies on me within couple day. Thank you for your info on the fish ! I might not get one, not cause I don't like fish I just don't want to give it a bad little short life without caring for it correctly.

Rat's are super cute to ! I was thinking about them and hamsters. I know the hamsters like being the loner type wouldn't need a parnter. I didn't know about the rat's needing partner or they get lonely. Do you know if rat's are low maintenance to take care of ?

I'm leaning little more toward the hamstrs, but I do love the little rat's they're so cute >^< !!

(0) (0)

Posted: Jun 19th, '20, 20:36    

Reht

Hugs: 11392
Yeah - love fish, but there's a reason that I ended up giving away my tank when my fish were gone - I do not have enough money to get the set-up that I ideally want and weekly tank cleans are a pain (although not too taxing on the muscles - you just have to syphon half the water out whilst giving the gravel a hoover and then slowly add the water back in at the right temperature xP )

Yeah, fish are always seen as the easy option 'cause there isn't really any legislation to protect pet fish, so stores and companies are happy to promote the myth and sell tanks that are far too small (it's a hard sell to tell someone that they're signing up for this amount of work/ cost) - oh and it's not just so that the fish has enough room to swim, if the tank is too small it means that there's not enough oxygen in the water for them and they very easily end up suffocating/ being poisoned by their own waste.
Gold fish especially suffer from this - they have the old 'goldfish in a bowl' stereotype and are told that 'they naturally grow to the size of their environment' when actually the truth is that they are poop machines and need big tanks with strong filtration systems and only their outsides grow to the size of their tanks - their organs keep growing and often this leads to their premature deaths.

Well kept goldfish can live for 80+ years and grow massive (Single tail goldfish, like the kind you win at fairs, are actually very closely related to carp)

Sorry, fish rant :V
It just annoys me that there's so much misinformation, so when I get the chance to talk about it I go overboard hahaha

As for rats - I'm not sure myself, the bits of knowledge that I have are because my friend used to keep rats, so I have heard bits and bobs from him P:
I know they are very intelligent though and can be very rewarding pets to own c:

And I know nothing about hamsters! :mclaugh:

I'd recommend doing some research using google and finding the animal specific websites once you're a bit more sure on which you want to have c:

(1) (0)
▃▅▆ The Inbetween ▆▅▃
A walk-in role-play hangout - please come and join C:

Posted: Jun 19th, '20, 21:27    

Rayven

Hugs: 38190
Mood: Sassy
I call hamsters the furry evil. LOL They're the cutest on your list but they're not very nice critters. And they're solitary. For the love of your sanity, please don't put more than one together. They will kill each other. O.O I've heard of other people having more luck with them but I don't trust them. :qstr:

We had 2 back when my son was little. They were named Bonnie and Clyde. XD Anyway, I left the door open on Clyde's cage by accident one night and he got loose in my son's room. I finally found him crawling around on the floor having the time of his life. When I picked him up he cussed at me and did some other not so nice things. O.O LOL Bonnie bit me whenever I managed to catch her to clean her cage. :/

Bettas are ok but kind of boring.

I recommend a rat. They're cute, loveable, and much cleaner than mice. They're not expensive either once you get everything you need. I also recommend googling whatever you decide to get. Animal husbandry is more complicated than we realize for some animals. For example, guinea pigs are awesome but have a lot of unique hygiene requirements and dietary needs.

Good luck with whatever you get. Animals are awesome. :qh:

(1) (0)

Posted: Jun 20th, '20, 17:54    

moonlight_sonata

Reht wrote:Yeah - love fish, but there's a reason that I ended up giving away my tank when my fish were gone - I do not have enough money to get the set-up that I ideally want and weekly tank cleans are a pain (although not too taxing on the muscles - you just have to syphon half the water out whilst giving the gravel a hoover and then slowly add the water back in at the right temperature xP )

Yeah, fish are always seen as the easy option 'cause there isn't really any legislation to protect pet fish, so stores and companies are happy to promote the myth and sell tanks that are far too small (it's a hard sell to tell someone that they're signing up for this amount of work/ cost) - oh and it's not just so that the fish has enough room to swim, if the tank is too small it means that there's not enough oxygen in the water for them and they very easily end up suffocating/ being poisoned by their own waste.
Gold fish especially suffer from this - they have the old 'goldfish in a bowl' stereotype and are told that 'they naturally grow to the size of their environment' when actually the truth is that they are poop machines and need big tanks with strong filtration systems and only their outsides grow to the size of their tanks - their organs keep growing and often this leads to their premature deaths.

Well kept goldfish can live for 80+ years and grow massive (Single tail goldfish, like the kind you win at fairs, are actually very closely related to carp)

Sorry, fish rant :V
It just annoys me that there's so much misinformation, so when I get the chance to talk about it I go overboard hahaha

As for rats - I'm not sure myself, the bits of knowledge that I have are because my friend used to keep rats, so I have heard bits and bobs from him P:
I know they are very intelligent though and can be very rewarding pets to own c:

And I know nothing about hamsters! :mclaugh:

I'd recommend doing some research using google and finding the animal specific websites once you're a bit more sure on which you want to have c:
Don't be sorry, I'm use having my girlfriend go on and on stuff she is passion about. I enjoy learning and hearing things from other people cause it save me the trouble doing a mistake or not doing it correctly XD.

Also about the tank, I really didn't know that matter the size and not having enough oxygen which is something I don't want to do is make the poor thing stuff not being able to breathe correctly. Plus for it to be swimming in his own poop and it being dirty.

At least fish is out of my pet I'll be getting because it sound like they need a lot of things and space, and I don't want to get something make it unhappy. I want to give little animal a better life, not making it horrible for them >~<.

I need to find some more rat owners and ask them their experience with raising the rats >~<. I find them both so cute to !

Thank you for answering and helping me :D !

(1) (0)

Posted: Jun 20th, '20, 18:01    

moonlight_sonata

Rayven wrote:I call hamsters the furry evil. LOL They're the cutest on your list but they're not very nice critters. And they're solitary. For the love of your sanity, please don't put more than one together. They will kill each other. O.O I've heard of other people having more luck with them but I don't trust them. :qstr:

We had 2 back when my son was little. They were named Bonnie and Clyde. XD Anyway, I left the door open on Clyde's cage by accident one night and he got loose in my son's room. I finally found him crawling around on the floor having the time of his life. When I picked him up he cussed at me and did some other not so nice things. O.O LOL Bonnie bit me whenever I managed to catch her to clean her cage. :/

Bettas are ok but kind of boring.

I recommend a rat. They're cute, loveable, and much cleaner than mice. They're not expensive either once you get everything you need. I also recommend googling whatever you decide to get. Animal husbandry is more complicated than we realize for some animals. For example, guinea pigs are awesome but have a lot of unique hygiene requirements and dietary needs.

Good luck with whatever you get. Animals are awesome. :qh:
I did read about them killing each other and eating each other to ! I wouldn't do that so it why i was thinking getting little hamster cause it be only one. And I don't need to worry about it being lonely lol XD.

Aw Clyde sound like he was enjoying himself little to much and didn't like being caught and put back in the litlte cage XD. It sound like he had a little rebel personality lol. I did hear they can be little aggressive to biting, but i heard they're not as hard on biting lol.

I been thinking about the rats they look so cute to be honest to! But I don't know if they need a little partner if they would get lonely by themselves? I did a little reseach on the hamsters, but I'll do some on the rats to ^^ !

I was thinking of the guinea pig but they're little expensive for my budget but sound like they need little special caring to.

I'm still little scared of getting a new pet, and reliving the death and the grieving part still. But I'll give it much thought and end up sharing my news whatever I decide :).

(0) (0)

Posted: Jun 20th, '20, 21:18    

Rayven

Hugs: 38190
Mood: Sassy
Hamsters are a handful for sure.

A rat will be fine by itself as long as you give it plenty of love. Although, rats are cheap enough if you wanted to get two they should get along fine. Just make sure to get two males or two females. LOL

One of these days I'll probably get a rat again. My dog won't allow me to get one right now. He'd probably kill it.

It is hard to lose them but I believe it's worth it to have known them. Yes, please let us know. I can't wait to find out what you choose. :qsml:

(0) (0)

[ 17 posts ]