Avatar Shopping Community Knuffel Quests Donate My Account Help

Jump to:

[ 133 posts ] 
 Post subject: Casual conversation
Posted: Feb 24th, '22, 14:16    

Amura

Hugs: 60341
Mood: Glad to be back! ^o^
We were recently discussing whether we should stay on topic on these threads, or whether it really did not matter as long as the forum was active.

I suppose some people may prefer keeping them on-topic because that way it's all better arranged and you can refer to a previous statement in the conversation.
On the other hand, allowing to go off-topic would provide a more natural kind of conversation.

So I thought that it would be nice to post in topic-centered threads when we are discussing their topic, and have at least one thread for more casual conversations where people may jump in (and off) as they please, without feeling like you are joining a hangout.
Do you think you would enjoy it? Then do not hesitate, post - and we'll see where this leads us :mclaugh:

(0) (0)
G U I D E - F O R - N E W - M E M B E R S

. A v a t a r . I t e m . G u i d e .
A work on progress, but already quite a bunch of sets to check!

Post subject: Re: Casual conversation
Posted: Feb 24th, '22, 18:05    

Akili Li

Hugs: 220668
Mood: Crumbly Crumpet
Well, it does help to have SOMETHING to start us off, though.

After all, the natural flow of a conversation typically begins SOMEWHERE, and then meanders from that point later.

With some exceptions. I can think of a few acquaintances who seem to carry with them a field that inspires ex nihilo comments. But besides the outliers.

Hmmm, what should we discuss?

Starting points, starting points...

Right. So apparently, according to my family, recently I woke up from a nap a saying, "The gravy bees are coming! Watch out for Tungsten marshmallows!" and once they convinced me that yes, it really had happened (I don't remember that at all) we started talking about memories and how they work (or don't work).

So I'm curious if any of you typically have a sense of time passing while you sleep, or if every time you wake up you have the sensation that you just time-travelled to the future in a sudden jump?

And can any of you DELIBERATELY forget something? I'm sure we've all forgotten things before, but can you deliberately set out to forget something -and succeed?

Although -if you manage, how would you KNOW? You've forgotten, so wouldn't you also have forgotten that you meant to forget?

(0) (0)
I want to buy or trade for these knuffels:
Earth Gen 18, Light Gen 19, Fire Gen 21, Air/Light/Water Gen 22, Light Gen 23, Earth/Light Gen 25, Darkness Gen 26.
Please PM me if you can help!

Posted: Feb 24th, '22, 18:32    

Amura

I knew I could count on you to start topics :mclaugh:

That was funny! Tungsten mashmallows, what on earth would you be dreaming about? XD

I usually don't have a sense of time passing. At all.
If I take a nap I never know whether it's been 5 minutes or 1 hours. More often than not I'm not really sure whether I've slept at all!

If you ask my son, he'll tell you he never sleeps.
Not even after a whole night slept (which for him is 10+ hours), no, he'll claim he was awake all the time xD

And about forgeting deliberately... impossible.
I tend to obsess over things. If I wanted to forget something I would just be thinking about it all the time.

(0) (0)

Posted: Feb 24th, '22, 19:47    

Akili Li

Do you think it's theoretically possible to cultivate the ability to deliberately and consciouly forget?
Humans definitely have the ability to forget, that's been clearly shown over and over again.
But... do we have the ability to forget on purpose?

Certainly the councilors I know all talk about trauma-induced amnesia, so there's a defensive mechanism that lets us forget things we aren't ready to face.

So that's a sort-of-on-purpose example.

But...

the notion intrigues me.

You're always hearing of people who devote themselves to lives of contemplation who can pull off all sorts of stuff. Would something like forgetting on purpose also be an ability that could be learned?

And if you COULD learn it.... when would you use it?

(0) (0)
Earth Gen 18, Light Gen 19, Fire Gen 21, Air/Light/Water Gen 22, Light Gen 23, Earth/Light Gen 25, Darkness Gen 26.

Posted: Feb 24th, '22, 22:24    

Amura

To be honest I don't think it's possible. Or at least not to deliberately forget one specific detail or information or whatever.
Because if you need to forget something specific you need to focus on that detail, and if you focus you keep remembering.

Maybe it's easier forgeting a whole whole set, everything that is related and connected so there are no loose ends.
I don't know, you could focus on completely forget a person and all you did with them, you could forget your life in a city after you move away.
Move on and never think about that - to the point you completely forget it.

I don't know when I would use it.
I don't see much purpose unless there was something terrible which I really needed to leave behind.
But as you said not unusually the brain does it itself, without we conciously trying.

(0) (0)

Posted: Feb 24th, '22, 22:41    

Akili Li

Or maybe you could do it by not so much "forgetting" as "overwriting the memory"...

Like figure out what it is you need to override, and then deliberately construct a memory that contradicts and overwrites what you want to obscure, so that every time someone brings it up, the memory you recall is the one you created instead of the one you experienced...

Oddly enough what brought this all up is because my father received a jury summons.
And it made me think about how often lawyers will bring something up before the jury that they *know* the judge will order the jury to forget because it isn't admissable.
But they'll do it anyway, because even if the judge orders the jury to disregard it, the jury can't just deliberately forget having heard about it.
So they'll factor it in, to some extent, anyhow.
So it's a tactic lawyers use a lot.

Which made me think, "What if we really COULD forget?"

(0) (0)

Posted: Feb 24th, '22, 22:46    

Amura

Well, you can't forget it, but you can disregard it... to an extent.
Anyway humans are too easy to trick.
You can also get them sentimental and they will believe what the lawyer wants them to believe.

We don't have juries here.
Well, there have been a few, as if it were something they are testing, but the jury is not the one who has the final word anyway - it's the judge.
To me juries do not make much sense, but maybe it's because I've never seen them as a "real" thing. They are something that happens in movies.

(0) (0)

Posted: Feb 25th, '22, 00:48    

Kuuki

Hugs: 259359
France has juries but only for special cases, it's nothing near as prevalent as what it seems to be in the US. Looks like they're pretty much judges in these cases.

One of my teacher was summoned when I was in middle school.

(0) (0)
Life in Japan and more at MARCH STORY

Posted: Feb 25th, '22, 02:07    

Akili Li

My branch of the family is in the U.S. for now, so it's interesting that way.
But I know that when my father goes to report, they'll never use him. They never pick anyone who has an accent to actually serve on a jury.
Or at least, not here. Maybe in the bigger cities, but definitely not here.

Of course, mostly you hear about people getting the summons to serve on a jury and then they never have to do it in the end because it's settled before it gets that far.

I don't know.

Life is nothing but a series of odd happenings and exceptions, it sometimes seems like!

(0) (0)

Posted: Feb 25th, '22, 02:23    

HanafuruLove

Hugs: 42627
Mood: Naega jeil jal naga!!
Ooo, I've got a lot of experience if it's memory suppression we're talking about LOL.

I have one of those trauma-based disorders where your brain just forgets things on purpose. Akili is correct about the "over-writing" thing. I've got weird, nonsensical "memories" that don't really make any sense (ex. something happing in Eastern Europe, but I've never been to Eastern Europe. Or a memory with a person that doesn't exist.) Once in a blue moon those fake memories sort of "break" and I start remembering the thing they were made to cover up. It's usually some sort of vaguely similar situation with a lot of the details changed.

I think that's the best way to purposely "forget" something and have it last for a long time. The emotions and sensations attached to memories don't really fully go away, so if your brain doesn't make something to explain them, things fall apart pretty fast. I've been in support groups for people with the same sort of disorder I have, so I've seen the "forgetting" in action a couple of times with my friends. One friend completely forgot about a group of people they met and had been talking to for like a month. Totally just didn't recognize them at all anymore, I had to kind of try to explain who they were without dredging up any of the drama that stressed her into forgetting in the first place. That one lasted about a week I think, before she remembered everything again. I think it was too big/recent of a memory to keep under wraps for very long.

(0) (0)

[ 133 posts ]