This gorilla has no place in the NFL  16%  [ 4 ]
What on earth is this question  56%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 25
 Post subject: Super Gorilla Football
Posted: Mar 6th, '22, 02:13    

HanafuruLove

Hugs: 43221
Mood: Naega jeil jal naga!!
There's a series of bizarre hypothetical questions by Chuck Klostermann that sort of float around the internet, and they are my favourite thing to ask people. Particularly this one about a super gorilla. Consider the scenario, and give us your answer and reasoning :mclaugh: Would you let him join?
Genetic engineers at Johns Hopkins University have developed a so-called super gorilla. Though the animal cannot speak, it has a sign language lexicon of over twelve thousand words, and an IQ of almost 85, and most notably a vague sense of self-awareness. Oddly, the creature (who weighs seven hundred pounds) becomes fascinated by football. The gorilla aspires to play the game at its highest level and quickly develops the rudimentary skills of a defensive end. ESPN analyst Tom Jackson speculates that this gorilla would be borderline unblockable and would likely average six sacks a game (although Jackson concedes the beast might be susceptible to counters and misdirection plays). Meanwhile, the gorilla has made is clear he would never intentionally injure any opponent.

You are commissioner of the NFL: Would you allow this gorilla to sign with the Oakland Raiders?

(0) (0)

Post subject: Re: Super Gorilla Football
Posted: Mar 6th, '22, 03:20    

Akili Li

Hugs: 221837
Mood: Crumbly Crumpet
I don't know anything about football....

but considering there's only one of him which would unbalance things (probably? I think? Maybe it wouldn't? I didn't really understand the stuff you said about his capabilities), I'd be more likely to try and have him be an umpire or referee or arbitrator or whatever they call the people who make the decisions on ambiguous matters in the game.

That way he can still enjoy his love of football and wouldn't unbalance stuff, and the commentary about his decisions could entertain a whole different set of people than the ones who are entertained by the game itself.

Seems like the best solution.

(0) (0)
I want to buy or trade for these knuffels:
Earth Gen 18, Light Gen 19, Fire Gen 21, Air/Light/Water Gen 22, Light Gen 23, Earth/Light Gen 25, Darkness Gen 26.
Please PM me if you can help!

Posted: Mar 6th, '22, 20:31    

Amura

Hugs: 61514
Mood: Glad to be back! ^o^
I don't know anything about football either.
But my answer is still no.

For the same reason drugs to enhance performance are not allowed. Because it would be unfair allowing someone to participate if their condition is not achievable by human means.
There are even transexual sports-people who are having issues to be allowed in their own new sex category, so...
A gorilla does not seem like human means to me, so no, not allowed.

(0) (0)
G U I D E - F O R - N E W - M E M B E R S

. A v a t a r . I t e m . G u i d e .
A work on progress, but already quite a bunch of sets to check!

Posted: Mar 9th, '22, 02:28    

HanafuruLove

Hugs: 43221
Mood: Naega jeil jal naga!!
Ooo I love the idea of him as referee :mclaugh: That way Gorilla can live his dream~

Also it feels like a missed opportunity somehow, for the legacy of football, if we totally gave up on getting a super genius gorilla involved. (**Said as someone who does not watch football)

(0) (0)

Posted: Mar 10th, '22, 11:49    

Amura

Hugs: 61514
Mood: Glad to be back! ^o^
We are so opinionated.
None knows anything about football, but still we have an opinion on even the silliest matter xD

(0) (0)
G U I D E - F O R - N E W - M E M B E R S

. A v a t a r . I t e m . G u i d e .
A work on progress, but already quite a bunch of sets to check!

[ 5 posts ]