Posted: May 19th, '22, 18:35    

Natsuyuki

Hugs: 30410
Mood: ~(=w=)~
╭── ⋅ ⋅ ── ✩ ── ⋅ ⋅ ──╮
The topic of this chat is very simple:
What did you eat today?

:mclove:

This is a favourite conversation topic in my friend group. We'd have lots of fun sharing cooking tips, recommending restaurants, or just salivating over each other's food photos!

:food:

I figure since so many of us are from different cultures, it would be fun to share our food~
You can simply share the dish names, or include detailed descriptions, or even include images if you'd like! :D
╰── ⋅ ⋅ ── ✩ ── ⋅ ⋅ ──╯

(0) (0)

Post subject: The 50k Challenge
Posted: May 19th, '22, 18:35    

Natsuyuki

╭── ⋅ ⋅ ── ✩ ── ⋅ ⋅ ──╮
The 50k FP Challenge

To give an incentive for keeping this thread alive, I am offering 50k :food: a month to anyone who meets the following criteria:

:food: Share your meals at least 10 times
:food: Include images at least once
:food: Comment on others' meals at least 5 times

Of course, please be respectful and kind to everyone, don't spam, yada yada yada~
╰── ⋅ ⋅ ── ✩ ── ⋅ ⋅ ──╯

(0) (0)

Post subject: My meal~
Posted: May 19th, '22, 18:36    

Natsuyuki

Starting us off:

Last night, we had scallion oil noodles for dinner.
It's a Chinese dish where you make this savoury and delicious sauce by stir-frying scallions until they're crispy, then adding soy sauce and other condiments to make an oil sauce. Lastly, just mix in boiled noodles and it becomes a very very tasty dry noodle dish.

I didn't take photos of our actual meal, but here's a picture from the internet that's pretty much the same as what we made:
Spoiler

(0) (0)

Post subject: Re: What Did You Eat Today? [50k FP Challenge!]
Posted: May 19th, '22, 19:22    

Akili Li

Hugs: 220595
Mood: Crumbly Crumpet
Okay that sounds intriguing -but please elucidate on what the "other condiments" are, because I find that an awful lot of flavour can hide under a simple phrase like that!

Let's see, for first meal I didn't really eat properly, I just had a drink:
You take a glass of cold milk, (I added in some drops of liquid Vit. D3, because my doctor was rather insistent on that point), you add a scant spoon of rosewater, you stir it, you pour in a few spoons of pomegranate molasses, and you stir it until it starts to thicken up.
Then you drink it before it separates and curdles.
Tangy and delicious and refreshing and quite filling!

Then for midday meal I had leftovers from the previous night:
It's a soup that doesn't have a name, but here's how you make it:
You use leftover vegetable water or if you have it, vegetable broth, and you simmer chunks of winter squash and about a quarter again of that much in cashew nuts, until the squash is soft.
Wait until everything cools down.
Blend it together. It should be relatively thick.
That's your base.
Then you take spicy radish kimchi and stir it in.
That adds texture and flavour.

And you're done.
Very simple soup!
Also very filling.

So that's what I had as leftovers (previous day's last night I also had salad, but there wasn't any leftover of that and it was raining so I wasn't interested in going out to pick more greens).

Haven't done last-meal yet.

(0) (0)
I want to buy or trade for these knuffels:
Earth Gen 18, Light Gen 19, Fire Gen 21, Air/Light/Water Gen 22, Light Gen 23, Earth/Light Gen 25, Darkness Gen 26.
Please PM me if you can help!

Posted: May 19th, '22, 19:32    

Natsuyuki

Li li your meals sound so healthy!
That milk drink sounds particularly appealing *___* Are the pomegranate molasses something you buy or make?

As for the "other condiments", it's just soy sauce, salt and sugar to taste, and maybe a bit of chilli pepper if you're into that.
For soy sauce, we have two kinds that we usually blend to make a fuller taste. I'm not sure how to translate them, but one is lighter and one is darker? We call it "fresh soy" and "old soy" LOL.
Most of the flavour of the dish comes from the fried scallions. It sounds oily but it's actually very refreshing!

(0) (0)

Posted: May 19th, '22, 21:18    

Akili Li

Hugs: 220595
Mood: Crumbly Crumpet
Well, everything is relative. I count it as plenty healthy enough, but some of my Elders who have issues with too much sodium wouldn't be able to do the soup, because there's a lot of salt in kimchi, ha ha ha

The pomegranate molasses -I cheat and buy it. I plumb don't have the patience for reducing it down to make it myself. Learned how when I was little (one of the Aunts taught all us kids; she would make pomegranate molasses and pomegranate ink at the same time. Big batches of pomegranates to process which stained all our hands; you'd separate them out with the fruit/seeds in one big pot and all the pith and rinds in another. Fruit got simmered down and strained and simmered down again into molasses, the pith and rind got simmered down with scrap iron in another and turned into ink).
Haven't made it since then. >.<

In terms of flavourings on the scallion noodles, that does sound nice and simple, and scallions are delicious! I'll have to try it, next time I see a good bunch of scallions at the market.
At least -does it have to be the milder scallions?
Can I sub in some green onions instead?
Because I planted some onions this year, and I could just go harvest them early, in the green onion stage, and make it tonight if it doesn't matter (they're a little sharper and more onion-y than scallions but.... will that matter?).
I can just plant some more for the actual onion bulbs later... we're having a weird spring anyhow so everyone's harvest schedule is already thrown off, a little more won't matter.

(0) (0)
I want to buy or trade for these knuffels:
Earth Gen 18, Light Gen 19, Fire Gen 21, Air/Light/Water Gen 22, Light Gen 23, Earth/Light Gen 25, Darkness Gen 26.
Please PM me if you can help!

Posted: May 20th, '22, 15:15    

Amura

Hugs: 60266
Mood: Glad to be back! ^o^
Food topic? Count me in! :mcgrin:

Today we had chickpea salad for lunch. Salads are just so easy to prep ahead, and really everything goes well with them.
So whatever was on hand. Some lamb's lettuce, black olive olives, fresh cheese, cherry tomatoes and canned tuna. Salt & pepper and olive oil, of course, and you are ready to eat.

I'm not sure I'm having dinner today...
We are having a celebration at work (graduation) at 7:30 PM, and some snacks will be offered. Depending on how much I snack and considering the hours I may not have anything else later.

(0) (0)
G U I D E - F O R - N E W - M E M B E R S

. A v a t a r . I t e m . G u i d e .
A work on progress, but already quite a bunch of sets to check!

Posted: May 20th, '22, 20:48    

Natsuyuki

@li li: The process of making pomegranate molasses sure sounds like an ordeal D: I'd just be lazy and buy it too /D;;;
Yup you can use the green onions! I recommend chopping them so they're thin before frying and seasoning, that way the sharpness gets toned down and more of the flavour can get in the oil~

@Amura: Tuna in salad! :OOO I've never seen that before! We've only ever mixed canned tuna with mayo to make sandwiches. Is it good in salad? Won't it be too fishy? :mcomg:

~*~

Today we made zhongzi! In preparation for the Dragon Boat Festival that is coming up.
It's sticky rice wrapped in bamboo leaves along with your choice of savoury or sweet mix-ins.
We made two kinds this year, one with white sticky rice, smoked meat, and salted egg yolk. The other with black rice, sticky rice, red beans, peanuts, and some dried corn.
It's sticky and savoury and filling~

(0) (0)

Posted: May 20th, '22, 22:41    

Rubie

Hugs: 134521
It was a mistake reading this lol Everything sounds good.

I guess I'll add what I've ate so far today:

Breakfast was a banana, strawberry, and blueberry smoothie I forgot to add the yogurt into. Then someone brought the good donuts into work today so I ended up eating one of those.

Lunch was Hayashi beef over rice with roasted carrots and broccoli. I have a super simple recipe from a Japanese cooking youtube channel that "Americanized" (westernized?) it so people overseas can make it. Then I had a fiber one brownie as a snack cuz trying to watch what I eat again and it's "healthy" aka not a lot of calories. (I say this but I ate a donut for breakfast)

Haven't made supper yet, but 99% sure I am making turkey stroganoff because I got ground turkey out and not ground beef because that's how I roll apparently. Not sure what else I'm going to have with it.

(0) (0)
Buying Lots of Stuff!

Come chat with me?

Posted: May 20th, '22, 23:28    

Amura

Hugs: 60266
Mood: Glad to be back! ^o^
@Natsuyuki:
Canned tuna.
Fresh tuna has an strong flavor, probably would not be great in a summery salad.
But canned tuna is completely different thing. Here you can buy small cans of tuna in olive oil, and that's perfect for salads.

I would say it's an staple for me when the weather gets warmer.
It's the quickest fix to get some protein in a cold/warm dish.

@Rubie: That Hayashi beef sounds awesome!
Care to share a link to the recipe?

(0) (0)
G U I D E - F O R - N E W - M E M B E R S

. A v a t a r . I t e m . G u i d e .
A work on progress, but already quite a bunch of sets to check!

[ 348 posts ]