Jump to:

[ 77 posts ] 
 Post subject: Re: Role-playing 101
Posted: Jul 31st, '11, 02:29    

Mikael Hart

Hugs: 193150
Mood: Hugs are death squeezes.
Website: http://www.gaiaonline.com/profiles/mikael-hart/6844374/
*nods* This guide isn't the be all end all of RPing --just more of a general overview. I agree that there are plenty of RPers who prefer first person RPing or some less traditional form; in the end, we really can't say that there's only one correct method to go about it. I'll try and better rephrase this so people don't get confused about it.

(0) (0)

Posted: Oct 4th, '12, 03:26    

SerinaNight

Hugs: 3150
I've never had someone mistake those two before. That's got to be annoying.

---

I don't think I was ever an * role-player, just because I was made to learn how to proficiently type before I was allowed on forums and such. I also read quite a few college level books when I was young, so that probably helped as well. XD

I think I mostly started picking up other forms of rp (other then paragraph 3rd person) after seeing other people do it? Not really sure. I generally go with what makes sense in context.

---

Random fact, I believe I'm also quite picky with role-plays. I know that one of my own personally rules is usually at least semi-literate (because I know not everyone is literate and I want people to actually join) since it would bother me to no END if people weren't at least that level in a campaign with other people of that level.

---

On a random note, I've also noticed that just because someone isn't literate or super good at what their doing doesn't mean they still can't have awesome characters and storylines! It's really cool when you get someone with all of the above though. :D

---

Random rambling over! :d

(0) (0)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

---

Current Quest
Throat Lozenges
Mountain Dew x5
Oak Leaf x6 x5
Silver Ring x1
:food: 390

Special thanks to everyone who helped with quests!
Hana-chan | Saokymo

Posted: Dec 17th, '12, 00:52    

Petit Poupee

Hugs: 8985
Mood: Happy and content =w=
I can't think of anything else to say but; Hell yes!
And thank you
I completely and wholeheartedly agree with this.
I have sadly been in too many RPs where people ignored these rules completely (I probably did too when I was a newbie) and it is rather tiring when no one reacts to your posts no matter how much you quote them or try to start a conversation with them or whatever...
But yeah, loving this guide :3

(0) (0)
ImageImage

Posted: Dec 18th, '14, 09:41    

MagicalPuffcorn

Hugs: 281
As a Veteran RPer? I believe that this info is rather useful to the newcomers to forum RP. Though myself? I have a different way of Forum RPing. I don't like to Code much so I prefer to keep it simple. <3 Thanks. This site seems to be on top of the ball and it's rather enjoyable.

(0) (0)

Posted: Apr 10th, '15, 14:42    

CycloneKira

Hugs: 40072
Mood: I'm trying.
I was wondering... could someone tell me what it means when someone tells you that you are a literate or semi-literate role-player? I've seen it written countless times before but never figured out what it means :/

(0) (0)
It's not over yet.
There's a lot to look forward to.
Keep going.
You can do this :)
Leonard Snart wrote:There are only four rules you have to remember: Make the plan, execute the plan, expect the plan to go off the rails, throw away the plan.
1st fairy - June 3rd, 12:06 AM IST

Posted: May 8th, '16, 00:04    

SaltPoisson

Hugs: 13485
I guess it means how well you stick to the rules of English grammar and spelling.

Sorry for the late reply.

(0) (0)
"I'm pasty white, my eyes are huge, and I have blonde hair. 'course I look Japanese!"
NEVILLE
would have done it in four books
There's a milkman waiting in the sky.
He likes to deliver dairy so long as it's homogenized.
There's a milkman waiting in the sky.
He drives a rundown milk truck
And his milk's been pasteurized.

He told me;

Let the bovines moo it!
Let the bovines chew it!
Let the bovines boogie
Down, down dah dah dah
Dah dah dah dah
Dah dah dah dah...

Posted: May 12th, '16, 13:15    

Lycanthus

Hugs: 14453
Mood: tired/busy
cool to see such a comprehensive guide to new rpers! i'm a veteran myself but i love reading about writing and roleplaying. and discussing the intricacies of them as well.
CycloneKira wrote:I was wondering... could someone tell me what it means when someone tells you that you are a literate or semi-literate role-player? I've seen it written countless times before but never figured out what it means :/
usually this refers to post length, although the definition and the average length for each changes depending on the site or community you're in. this is what i know from my personal experience, so it might not be completely accurate for all places:

semi-literate: posts consist of a few sentences to a paragraph. usually requires at least some understanding of basic grammar.

literate: 1-2 (?) paragraphs per post. has a good understanding of grammar.

advanced literate/novella: this category is a little weird because i've only recently heard of novella rp. for advanced literate, posts are typically 3 paragraphs minimum. ranges from 3-6 or more paragraphs. novella is basically the same thing in my opinion, although some places assign it as a tier above advanced literate, where the roleplayer has an excellent understanding of grammar, has an established voice, and writes anywhere from 3 paragraphs to 1000 words and beyond. to me, there's not really a distinction but like i said, definition varies from site to site!

(2) (0)

x

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
toyhouse | free doodles | art dump | deviantart
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

[ 77 posts ]