Doctor Strange  11%  [ 7 ]
Other (please comment)  30%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 61
 Post subject: Doctor Strange
Posted: Nov 8th, '16, 20:22    

PastelWitch

Hugs: 38210
Mood: Obsessed
I meant to post this the other week - has anyone seen Doctor Strange yet?

I saw it the other week and think it's really good! Like, actually really good. I was pleasantly surprised and would like to watch it again. I never read the comics but apparently it kept pretty tight to them?

All I can say is that I think it's my favourite Marvel film, considering I'm not a massive Marvel fan that's a pretty big achievement.

So go see it! Afterall, it's got Benadryl Cucumber in it.

(0) (0)
she/her
wild knuffel vote

Post subject: Re: Doctor Strange
Posted: Nov 9th, '16, 23:56    

PulciniVerdi

Hugs: 17800
If you watch it in 3D it's AWESOME, really impressive. I didn't know much about that character from comics but I did like that movie! The plot wasn't the best one but it worked out, I'll gladly watch it again or buy it in dvd.

(my fav is still Gambit, but if we talk about movieverse Ironman is a very solid one)

(0) (0)
.:Want to buy:.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
(feel free to pm me with your offer)

Posted: Nov 16th, '16, 23:10    

-Leo-

Hugs: 46973
Mood: Ta-ta!
Meh and blah. I don't care for it. I mean I liked the actor as Sherlock (not counting the ridiculous extra they made which was all over the place half way through the movie, which is sad as it had some potential to be good), even if he's nothing compared to the classic old ones, but this movie seems too much of the same stuff that's going on everywhere in these days, like even if it's a whole different story and universe and genre etc, it's as if they've all been made from the same mold. Too hollywood perhaps? Lol. Funny how "hollywood" to me is starting to mean something not so great, or just horrible, even if they look pretty or whatever. Almost as if they lack of that something special more movies used to have not too many years ago. No soul or something? Pretty picture without a voice or sound? Generic lyrics with all the glitter, but without the music? Etc. But that's just me and my standards being too high for the usual mortal. It's hard to please me. :P

(0) (0)

" Fantasy is what people want, but reality is what they need "

Posted: Nov 17th, '16, 14:24    

Mirika

Hugs: 517
Mood: Overall alright
I quite liked it, but I am disappointed by the movie being racially incorrect (which I think is Benedict's third time for picking up a POC role, but he's a good actor nonetheless). I'm not hard to please though, heh. I'm mostly curious about the follow-up of the after-credits scene.

I liked that this time it's magic being presented by Marvel though, rather than just superpowers or whatsoever.

I think my favourite Marvel film is still Avengers though (if we're talking that universe, otherwise I need to think really hard whether I like Deadpool more or not, haha). Really liked Guardians of the Galaxy as well; I think the grouped movies are my thing somehow.

(0) (0)

Posted: Nov 17th, '16, 20:04    

PastelWitch

Hugs: 38210
Mood: Obsessed
I was unaware that Doctor Strange was a POC? Although I do get annoyed by how white all superhero's are.

(0) (0)
she/her
wild knuffel vote

Posted: Nov 18th, '16, 11:41    

Mirika

Hugs: 517
Mood: Overall alright
Spoiler
Oh, my bad. Apparently I confused with "should be POC" with "is canon POC" (though that doesn't erase Benedict's previous strikes), I just remember reading upon an article that described him as Asian I think and it contained a fan that identified with this who had also viewed him as such (I forgot the exact country). If I stumble upon it again I'll link it here, sadly I always browse incognito in Google Chrome so I have no web history. It sucks that I always only remember snippets of things I read, but I must admit I never checked the reliability of the source, but I recall this fan message was what convinced me most. You can dismiss this whole thing if you want to since I can't exactly back it up.

However, I still stand by "racially incorrect" as the Ancient One is definitely supposed to be Asian (love the actress though, once again, don't get me wrong). Then again, it could be frowned upon it bothers me more when an ethnicy is swapped around rather than gender also, since The Ancient One is supposed to be male. Although I can't really say "bothers me," because it's more of a thing that makes me raise an eyebrow rather than being bothered. The thing with the Ancient One is just that she's in this Asian space and it really feels out of place, or is just that me? Oh, doesn't matter anyway.
But don't let the above get the overhand of my opinion though; I did really like the movie, have no beef with the actors and their acting skills, and I'd happily see the movie a few more times.

That is why I put the above under a spoiler tag. I felt like that subject took too much overhand while it's only a small section of what I think. I am sorry if anyone took offense to it in any way.

(0) (0)

Posted: Dec 11th, '16, 11:26    

Pingbot

Hugs: 10099
Mood: SLEEPY
I liked it a lot, but yeah, that thing you mention under a spoiler up there sure bothered me, too. :/
Spoiler
They tried to make it better by calling the Ancient One "Celtic" but man, that character is supposed to be Tibetan, and with the setting and everything it just sort of grated on me, even though I love me some Tilda and thought she was delightful to watch. Although, if they had cast an Asian man, it would have been a pretty stereotypical and rather racist depiction, so it's hard to win. His origin story is pretty questionable by modern standards no matter which way you look at it.
It was really gorgeous, though, and I really liked Cumberbatch as the lead a lot. Definitely looking forward to seeing how they integrate him into the MCU as a whole!

(0) (0)

Posted: Dec 23rd, '16, 06:38    

ashabellanar

Hugs: 43484
Mood: Boondocks
FRACTALS FREAK ME OUT

I loved it, though. Great time ~

(0) (0)

Posted: Feb 18th, '17, 06:09    

Butter

Hugs: 46107
Mood: Blessed
Website: https://www.pandora.com/station/1001832368449529690
Thor and Iron Man are my favorite.
Not into Doctor Strange. :mcwink:

(0) (0)
♡ Please Excuse My Crazy Typos, I am on a Cell. Still No Home Internet In My Area! ♡
Dreams & Quests ~ Greetings ~ Weekly FC Raffle ~ SpAm ~ Game ~ Library ~ Buttery Crumpet
ImageImage
[/size]

Posted: Feb 19th, '17, 15:01    

Khalessii

Hugs: 45310
Just seen have of it, planning to watch it later. From what I have seen it was okay. I like the artistic glass stuff effect.

(0) (0)

[ 13 posts ]