Avatar Shopping Community Knuffel Quests Donate My Account Help

Jump to:

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Let's just skip the first half of the book~
Posted: Sep 14th, '18, 18:14    

blackbriar

Hugs: 57548
Mood: lazy
About a week ago, we found a book left on the condiment bar at work. Like a dork, I got excited about it and read the back and everything, even though it's clearly seen better days. Like, no cover and yellowed pages--no, scratch that. It starts on page 254. Where the first half of the book went, I have no idea. It looked familiar though, like my dad probably owns it.

We decided it would be the proper progressive art experience to read this spy thriller as is. I am now half way through my half of An Echo of War by Grant Blackwood. Great experience. Skipped all the buildup and went straight to the answers. Not sure why I'm reading it at all. But I am.

Would you ever do something like this or would you just throw the book away? Or like, try to find the complete copy at the store? >.> Also, to anyone who knows this book, did I miss out on anything good?

(2) (0)
Huge Art Request

XoXoXoXo

Items as payment

Post subject: Re: Let's just skip the first half of the book~
Posted: Sep 17th, '18, 03:29    

light_sucks

Hugs: 156558
Mood: vaguely alive
I would have probably just thrown away the book honestly. Or maybe kept it for firestarter?

But it does sound like an interesting idea.

(0) (0)
They/Them pronouns, please.

Call me Moss.

Posted: Sep 17th, '18, 14:34    

Sanssouci

Hugs: 77717
I probably would have set it aside for a possible future craft project or something. If it sounded good, then I would take it out from the library. I wouldn't read it halfway through though. Coming into books or movies halfway through is just not for me! I can see the appeal for other people though!

(1) (0)

Posted: Sep 27th, '18, 08:06    

Akili Li

Hugs: 221741
Mood: Crumbly Crumpet
I admit to sometimes skipping ahead in books, or actually reading the ending first to make sure I wasn't setting myself up with something depressing.... but I've never done it without having the first part of the book available to go and read!

Are you finding it frustrating? Have you tried to see if your library can get hold of a whole copy for you with interlibrary loans?

Haven't read that one, so can't help you out with if you're missing something interesting or not.

Do you like it at all? Would you recommend it based on the half you've got?

(0) (0)
I want to buy or trade for these knuffels:
Earth Gen 18, Light Gen 19, Fire Gen 21, Air/Light/Water Gen 22, Light Gen 23, Earth/Light Gen 25, Darkness Gen 26.
Please PM me if you can help!

Posted: Sep 30th, '18, 19:48    

blackbriar

Hugs: 57548
Mood: lazy
I still haven't finished reading the book yet, but I'm hoping to have a chance today. Kinda got out of the habit of reading it when my cat knocked it on the floor under the couch. Don't see it when I'm lounging around so it keeps slipping my mind. I'll probably go find the book when I'm finished though and try to see what it's like to read it properly. I honestly feel like I understand almost everything that's going on though? Like yeah, there are some characters mentioned that I don't know, but it feels like their story was entirely encapsulated in the first half of the book so it almost doesn't matter. Anyway, I never would have thought to read the book at all if my coworkers hadn't been so chatty about the concept of reading it like that.

(0) (0)
Huge Art Request

XoXoXoXo

Items as payment

Posted: Oct 14th, '18, 23:21    

PupDragon

Hugs: 24924
Mood: Tired
I think it would depend on the book. A good book can draw you into the story no matter where you start. A bad book will always be a bad book, even if you start at the beginning. I hope you find a copy with the first half of An Echo of War.
I start reading books in the middle all the time. It's how I choose which books to buy.

(0) (0)

Posted: Nov 14th, '18, 22:27    

Akili Li

Hugs: 221741
Mood: Crumbly Crumpet
blackbriar wrote:I still haven't finished reading the book yet, but I'm hoping to have a chance today. Kinda got out of the habit of reading it when my cat knocked it on the floor under the couch. Don't see it when I'm lounging around so it keeps slipping my mind. I'll probably go find the book when I'm finished though and try to see what it's like to read it properly. I honestly feel like I understand almost everything that's going on though? Like yeah, there are some characters mentioned that I don't know, but it feels like their story was entirely encapsulated in the first half of the book so it almost doesn't matter. Anyway, I never would have thought to read the book at all if my coworkers hadn't been so chatty about the concept of reading it like that.
I'm assuming you've finished it at this point.

What are your final thoughts?

(0) (0)
I want to buy or trade for these knuffels:
Earth Gen 18, Light Gen 19, Fire Gen 21, Air/Light/Water Gen 22, Light Gen 23, Earth/Light Gen 25, Darkness Gen 26.
Please PM me if you can help!

[ 7 posts ]