That book sounds quite interesting!

bombus, that is a challenge, nice! Good luck ^.^

(0) (0)

Post subject: Re: The 2019 Reading Challenge
Posted: Jan 20th, '19, 09:22    

Akili Li

Hugs: 220696
Mood: Crumbly Crumpet
Aaaah, someone at the library** was going to loan me a copy of "Mira's Last Dance" (I really love Lois McMaster Bujold books) and she just sent me an email saying she can drop it off to where I work this next Tuesday, and I am super excited now.

I will have to go read Twelfth Night to make sure I don't completely miss out on my own goals, though. Make myself earn that treat...

**edit: that sounded weird. I mean, someone I know through the library, and we meet there about once a month to geek out about books together.

(0) (0)
I want to buy or trade for these knuffels:
Earth Gen 18, Light Gen 19, Fire Gen 21, Air/Light/Water Gen 22, Light Gen 23, Earth/Light Gen 25, Darkness Gen 26.
Please PM me if you can help!

Posted: Jan 20th, '19, 13:21    

AliceON

Hugs: 102569
Akili Li wrote:Huh. Our library actually has it available.
I need to finish my January stuff first though!
understandable :)

I hope that motivation works!

@bombus: good luck with both goals! pretty sure this group can help with them ;)

@Julez: I hope to read it soon. there are just so many distractions

and I haven't read anything this year yet

(0) (0)

Posted: Jan 20th, '19, 14:23    

LittleJulez

Hugs: 189161
Mood: happy :)
I can relate to that, Alice, completely!

Oh Akili, you remind me of me wanting to read Shakespeare as well... Ugh, I really need to hurry up with my term papers! I really hope I will have more time after April...
Also great that you have that friend there and that she owns the book and is willing to give it to you ^.^

(0) (0)

Posted: Feb 5th, '19, 20:56    

Sanssouci

Hugs: 77526
I've finally started reading a little again. I don't remember where I left off with Wideacre spoilers. So here is a recap and update combined if anyone wants spoilers. This is up to page 436.
Spoiler
A girl was dating a boy. The boy came up with a plan to kill her father so they could take the house/land. She agreed. The boy killed the father. The girl regretted it. The girl tried to kill the boy, but he got away. Then the girl started sleeping with her brother. She got pregnant. The brother had just married a nice lady. The girl went crying to the wife about being raped by a stranger and got the lady to agree to lie to everyone, even her husband, and pretend she gave birth to the baby. The brother was more interested in his wife and child for a while, but then he started sleeping with his sister again. She got pregnant again. So she married a nice doctor. When the baby was born, the doctor knew it was too soon to be his child. He wouldn't have minded that, but he was angry that she lied, and he started drinking heavily. Then the mother caught the brother and sister sleeping together. The sister killed the mother to make sure she couldn't talk. And since the doctor was mad at her anyway, and since he was so drunk he could barely remember what he had done or not done, she pinned the death on him. He's not positive, but he's confident enough that she's sleeping with her brother and that she killed her mother to be suspicious and miserable. But he can't really do anything because she could have him hanged for the mother's murder. As it is, the rumors were enough to make no one want to see him as a doctor. She keeps giving him alcohol to strengthen her story that he's a dangerous drunk, and he keeps drinking it because his life is so miserable.

(0) (0)

Posted: Feb 5th, '19, 22:49    

AliceON

that sounds believable

I've been getting into reading too. read a few pages this year!

(0) (0)

Posted: Feb 8th, '19, 09:05    

LittleJulez

Hugs: 189161
Mood: happy :)
I finished the swedish book for university. That's all I've got so far.. Uni assignments consume all the time I've got..

(0) (0)

Posted: Feb 8th, '19, 11:25    

AliceON

still some progress!

I've read some from 'the bear and the nightingale'. the author is trying to create russian atmosphere and makes the characters speak weirdly. I'm not sure it helps. but I'm sure it's weird

(0) (0)

Posted: Feb 9th, '19, 00:37    

Akili Li

Hugs: 220696
Mood: Crumbly Crumpet
I'm behind, never did get January finished. Going to try and catch up and still do it as well as something for February, but not sure what yet. I was going to set the February goals when I finished January's, so....
don't have anything in mind yet.

(0) (0)
I want to buy or trade for these knuffels:
Earth Gen 18, Light Gen 19, Fire Gen 21, Air/Light/Water Gen 22, Light Gen 23, Earth/Light Gen 25, Darkness Gen 26.
Please PM me if you can help!

Posted: Feb 9th, '19, 00:50    

Sanssouci

Hugs: 77526
I'm way behind. I might have to lower my goal to 10!

(0) (0)

[ 462 posts ]