I am sure, yes.
And who is Cellini :mcheh: ?

(0) (0)

Post subject: Re: The 2019 Reading Challenge
Posted: Jul 12th, '19, 08:27    

Akili Li

Hugs: 220801
Mood: Crumbly Crumpet
16th century Italian artist. His autobiography is the most entertaining way to learn about the Renaissance... one of those mad-genius types.

Some of his pieces are still around in museums. (He was a sculptor, and also worked with precious metals, and I think also did some painting and what-not? Kind of jumped mediums a lot. Also wrote poetry, besides his autobiography. Grant you I have never read the book in its original language, only in a translation, but it was still a lot of fun! Can't say about the poetry, though. That doesn't translate well, in my experience, so I never even tried on that.)

I bet if you checked your local library, it'd have a copy of Cellini's Autobiography.

(0) (0)
I want to buy or trade for these knuffels:
Earth Gen 18, Light Gen 19, Fire Gen 21, Air/Light/Water Gen 22, Light Gen 23, Earth/Light Gen 25, Darkness Gen 26.
Please PM me if you can help!

Posted: Jul 12th, '19, 15:06    

Sanssouci

Hugs: 77550
I finished Marriage of Mercy. I thought it was just ok.

(0) (0)

Posted: Jul 13th, '19, 05:49    

Akili Li

Hugs: 220801
Mood: Crumbly Crumpet
Do you know what you're going to read next, Sanssouci?

I've been reading some Lee Child books, because one of the relatives of my neighbor is moving and had a sale and my neighbor gave me a ride over there and I got more books.... it's so hard to pass by a good deal for books.... Lee Child, and I have a William Gibson novel to try next, and then some young adult ones ("Sisters Grim" books 1 & 2, plus "Book of Three", and something else I don't remember the name of).

I've gotten through a geography book (which was actually pretty interesting reading) from the stack of stuff I already had at my house, and have sorted the engineering books into the "definitely keep", "definitely don't keep" and "not sure" piles, so I console myself with the thought that the novels aren't the only books being read, just the ones most eagerly reached for. :qhehe:

(0) (0)
I want to buy or trade for these knuffels:
Earth Gen 18, Light Gen 19, Fire Gen 21, Air/Light/Water Gen 22, Light Gen 23, Earth/Light Gen 25, Darkness Gen 26.
Please PM me if you can help!

Posted: Jul 13th, '19, 07:19    

LittleJulez

Hugs: 189199
Mood: happy :)
Oh that sounds fun, thanks for recommending that autobiography then!

I can totally relate to reading the novels first :mcheh:

(0) (0)

Posted: Jul 13th, '19, 13:37    

jacobgrey

Hugs: 130757
Mood: (◡‿◡)
I've read a few autobiographies but it's not my favourite genre. I think Roald Dahl's was probably the one I liked most, mostly because it was crazy to think of the guy who had this life was the one who wrote all the kids books that I used to love.

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
First fairy 8.4.15; 2nd 7.6.17
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Jul 13th, '19, 16:41    

Sanssouci

Oh, yes, I read Roald Dahl's too!

I'm almost halfway through The Toll-Gate. And I just took The Unlikely Master Genius out from the library.

(0) (0)

Posted: Jul 13th, '19, 19:50    

AliceON

Hugs: 102581
jacobgrey wrote:Oh wow! Do you know any of his books to recommend them? I've not heard of them before but some of the covers catch my eye with the hint of something that might be my kind of style.
Akili Li wrote:*goes to make a note and try to snag the books to read when they're free*

If I like them after reading, I'll pay for a physical copy, no worries; I know creators need support. There's just so many possible creators to support that a free read first is pretty much a must...

plus something specifically recommended instead of a random sampling of "get through these so you can use the hallway again" is very tempting right now.
I haven't heard much of the author but one of his books was on my to-read list. I don't remember why exactly anymore. probably a complimentary review by someone I know, but I'm not sure. anyway, downloaded 14 of his books on the 4th to get to know him later.

Akili Li wrote:You are still saving up Spinning Silver? I caved and got that from the library a while back and zipped through it.
(Not really spoilers, don't worry, just my idiosyncratic reaction):
First person, sigh..... so frustrating. I know I would LOVE that book if it weren't for the first person thing. I still mostly enjoyed it even with that, but I'm definitely not buying it until I can get it used in MMPB, because first person is just.... it's good to have a nice long break in between rereads on those.
I was honestly surprised at how well the first person was working for me in this book. not that I mind it as much as you do but I don't appreciate it either, in most books, simply because it feels like all of that could just have been written in the third person and I keep wondering why the author chose the first person if it didn't really achieve anything. I'm still where I paused in winter, at about 24% because I decided to take notes and started re-reading. and because I'm simply enjoying reading it slowly.

LittleJulez wrote:That's interesting, I never regard them as diaries, unless they are intentionally written like one.
yup, never read them as diaries either, unless it's explicit!

and I can't remember reading any autobiographies either. ever.

Akili Li wrote:I've gotten through a geography book (which was actually pretty interesting reading) from the stack of stuff I already had at my house, and have sorted the engineering books into the "definitely keep", "definitely don't keep" and "not sure" piles, so I console myself with the thought that the novels aren't the only books being read, just the ones most eagerly reached for. :qhehe:
heeeeey this sounds like half of the work has been done! :D

so sorry for the late replies, I missed a good discussion!

(0) (0)

Posted: Jul 14th, '19, 08:19    

LittleJulez

Hugs: 189199
Mood: happy :)
You guys seem to reflect much more on the style and choices of the author. I usually take it as it as and end up liking most parts of the book. I should reflect more :D

(0) (0)

Posted: Jul 14th, '19, 14:39    

Sanssouci

I'm the same way, Julez. I don't put much thought into it. If it looks interesting, I try it, and I either like it or I don't, and I often can't even put into words why I do or don't like it lol.

(0) (0)

[ 462 posts ]