Yes  42%  [ 18 ]
No  58%  [ 25 ]
Total votes : 43
 Post subject: Re: The 2020 Reading Challenge
Posted: Jan 17th, '20, 10:12    

memoriam

Hugs: 216566
Mood: Mood.
I've never tried reading mor ethan one at a time, but I guess I wouldn't be able to do it. It's already mind-boggling when I try to both read a book and write one xD Hopefully that'll change with time, I can't only read or only write for extended periods of time, it wouldn't be efficient :mcsweat:

But remembering the series after 7 years, that's incredible! I forget books after a few months xD I mean, I'll remember the general story, but I'll forget all the details and sometimes even endings xD

(0) (0)
In need of materials? Go to ~Memoriam's~
Free avatar/room items & knuffels!
Make the ⁂*ℭonfetti ℜain*⁂ with me!

Dec 21st/22nd 2016, R.I.P. Tila. We'll miss you, you cuddly little stinker <3
Dec 7th 2019, R.I.P. Candy. I'm sorry, my sweet little rumball...
Jan 8th 2020, R.I.P. Cotton. Farewell my golden adventurer </3
May 15th 2021, R.I.P. Kreska. I love you, angel...
Feb 3rd 2022, R.I.P. Kropka. Goodbye, my *starshine*
Nov 27th 2022, R.I.P. Strzałka. You will be missed, lazy ball.
Jan 5th 2023, R.I.P. Iskra. Spark until the end.
Jan 26th 2024, R.I.P. Mocha. You can fool around now, baby <3
Feb 22nd 2024, R.I.P. Latte. Now you are truly a free spirit...

Posted: Jan 17th, '20, 14:58    

jacobgrey

Hugs: 131339
Mood: (◡‿◡)
I pick two really different genres so I don't get mixed up. Right now I'm reading a Dostoyevsky book and a self-help kind of book about being a better entrepreneur, so it's not like I will get them mixed up :P
Or my usual mix would be like a silly gay love/coming of age type book which isn't very mentally taxing against a super involved crime novel. Or so on.

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
First fairy 8.4.15; 2nd 7.6.17
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Jan 17th, '20, 16:23    

Rubie

Hugs: 136300
I usually end up reading fantasy. I do have a few others outside of fantasy but I just don't feel like reading them. I do still got teen fantasy romances I read occasionally (I can't stand them since the ones that sound interesting is always in first person and I get so annoyed at the main character if it's in first person), but I still don't think I could juggle the two.

@memoriam: I won't lie, there are times I'll pick a series up and remember everything but one thing that keeps getting mentioned. It won't be until the end of the book and I'll just be like "oh...that's what that was." I'm trying to finish a series this year I started in high school which has been 9 years ago...

(0) (0)
Buying Lots of Stuff!

Come chat with me?

Posted: Jan 18th, '20, 17:51    

Sanssouci

Hugs: 77857
I always read a few books at a time, which is kind of funny because my memory is so bad.

I just started reading Honor Bound by Sandra Brown.

(0) (0)

Posted: Jan 19th, '20, 18:46    

LittleJulez

Hugs: 189871
Mood: happy :)
I am nowhere near xD
I haven't finished one book yet. But I have 4 books on my shelf right now, all different genres, but I kinda cannot read them as they are all a little too "heavy" for a read right before going to bed :mcheh:

(0) (0)

Posted: Jan 19th, '20, 20:03    

Sanssouci

I'm already almost done with Honor Bound. It's pretty short and easy to read. It's not very good though!

(0) (0)

Posted: Jan 19th, '20, 21:52    

memoriam

I'm the same as Rubie, I mainly read fantasy. And even if I read something off genre I don't like leaving a book unfinished unless I really hate it. Like that one series my sister was hyping about and made me read it, but after several volumes it turned so cliche and boring I just told her I can't bear to conitnue the series anymore, it was so bad...

@Rubie: Wow, 9 years! :mcomg: Teach me, master :D My memory of plot consist of "The story started with this, then that happened and then... stuff happened and then they resolved the conflict, although I can't recall how they did it, the end" XD

Wow, @Sans, you're fast!
Meanwhile I haven't read a word all weekend :mcargh:

(0) (0)

Posted: Jan 19th, '20, 23:51    

Rubie

Hugs: 136300
@memoriam: no clue how my brain remembers. You'd think I'd done better at school with my memory to remember stories. What series was the one your sister hyped up?

I just put a book down for months at a time not reading because I just have no umph to make myself read it even though a couple chapters a day would get me through it.

I haven't actually started my next books yet, whoops. Ended up spending my week reading a manga instead. I was planning on reading both, since I can keep those two separate, but got a little too into the story. So starting my book tonight.

(0) (0)
Buying Lots of Stuff!

Come chat with me?

Posted: Jan 20th, '20, 00:06    

memoriam

It was the House of Night series. It was okay at first but the it was just unbearable to me. My sister somehow got through it I think, because even if she doesn't like the story (and she did complain a lot later into the series and admitted it turned really bad), she's adamant on finishing it. Weirdo XD

I only do that with books without a plot. Especially if I get into the story, it's really hard to put it away XD

I'll continue reading mine tomorrow, not even half through, but I guess that's normal with reading only half an hour a day.

(0) (0)

Posted: Jan 20th, '20, 04:45    

Sanssouci

I finished Honor Bound. It started off ok, but then I started to dislike it, and then by the end I HATED it. This is my full summary/review with spoilers if anyone is interested:
Spoiler
The book starts off with a guy who escapes from prison and then kidnaps a woman at knifepoint. He makes a lot of racist comments, he locks her in a bathroom, he grabs her, he shoves her around, he ties her up, he forced her to strip naked while he watched. So of course she starts to fall for him. They sleep together once. Then he gets caught and taken back to prison. Almost a year later he's out of prison and comes to her house to apologize only to see that she's had his baby. He tells her he's raising the baby, so she can either marry him and come along too or just get out of the way. She agrees to marry him. Once married, he is cold towards her, although he once "bathed her entire face with his tongue," which is something I can't imagine anyone actually liking. But anyway, she insists that she loves him. Their son gets deathly ill, but he doesn't show much emotion. She beats him and begs him to beat her too because then she would at least know that he feels something. Then the prison warden walks into the hospital and says they reviewed his case and they decided he's not guilty of the crime that he was found guilty of years ago and that he spent time in prison for, the doctor comes in and says the baby is fine, so they go home to have more sex. Yeesh. Overall, this read less like a romance and more like a horrific cautionary tale about Stockholm Syndrome.

(0) (0)

[ 386 posts ]