Jump to:

[ 8 posts ] 
Do you like book boxes?
Of course!  16%  [ 4 ]
They're not for me  16%  [ 4 ]
What's a book box?  24%  [ 6 ]
I just want some food  44%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 25
 Post subject: Do you subscribe to any book boxes?
Posted: Oct 18th, '20, 07:49    

ShortAxel

Hugs: 9660
Right now I'm subscribed to the main three but I don't know how long that's gonna last.

OwlCrate has been good for me. Their editions are usually super boring, but its the most affordable and I've enjoyed my items.

Fairy Loot has the most beautiful books and the worst packing/shipping and policies/customer service for replacements. The items are better than OwlCrate, in my opinion, but I feel like I'm waiting to receive damaged goods.

Illumicrate is incredibly expensive in the US and honestly, its just not worth it to me. I'm disappointed in the items all the time even if they editions are beautiful. I'm planning to cancel my sub after November or December.

I get Book of the Month on and off. At one point I had 3 accounts so I could get 9 new books a month. The usually have the new titles I'm interested in at a fraction of the cost so its a great deal.

When I cancel Illumicrate I want to try out Osusume Books because it seems really interesting. I don't have much experience with books from outside of the US and I think this would be a good way to broaden my horizons a bit.

(0) (0)

Post subject: Re: Do you subscribe to any book boxes?
Posted: Oct 24th, '20, 04:41    

PupDragon

Hugs: 24827
Mood: Tired
No. In fact, until I read your post, I did not even know book boxes where a thing.
Now I am going to have to check these things out, but I will probably just stick to Audible.

(0) (0)

Posted: Oct 24th, '20, 09:18    

Yokuutsu

Hugs: 10841
Mood: I just want to sleep
I did not know these things existed. How much? Idk if I want, but I do know I am curious.

(0) (0)
Questing: 12 x Silver Crown.

I am so far behind on castle quests.

Also: Always looking for MxM rps

Posted: Oct 24th, '20, 11:01    

ShortAxel

Yokuutsu wrote:I did not know these things existed. How much? Idk if I want, but I do know I am curious.
It varies between the boxes and with where you live, but the average price for boxes with shipping in the US is about $30-60/month. Outside of the US it varies wildly.

Book-only subs, like Book of the Month and Osusume, are cheaper than those that come with extra stuff. BotM is only $15/month with the option to add up to two books for $10 each. Its a steal if you're into new release hardbacks tbh.

(0) (0)

Posted: Oct 28th, '20, 08:06    

Yokuutsu

Hugs: 10841
Mood: I just want to sleep
60 is too much for me XD

But those cheaper ones, I'll have to check out

If Osusume wasn't 30 for ONE book, I'd be getting it XD
(And wait up to two months for the package? I mean, I know COVID, but by then I can't dispute with my bank so...no go for me lol)

But maybe someday I'll make more money and then I'll get it.

But book of the month? Sounds good depending on shipping costs....I'll be checking back to see if next month I'm interested in the books.

(0) (0)
Questing: 12 x Silver Crown.

I am so far behind on castle quests.

Also: Always looking for MxM rps

Posted: Nov 1st, '20, 02:10    

ShortAxel

I agree xD Illumicrate is around $60 in the US and its too much. Definitely not worth it imo! I'm cancelling it this month.

Osusume's shipping kind of bugs me too. I'm waiting until after COVID to give it a try.

In the US, BotM's shipping is free!

This month the books are:
Memorial by Bryan Washington
This Time Next Year by Sophie Cousens
Pretty Little Wife by Darby Kane
These Violent Delights by Chloe Gong
The Star-Crossed Sisters of Tuscany by Lori Nelson Spielman

I chose Memorial and for my addons got The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne and Caste by Isabel Wilkerson.

A few days ago I learned that The Strand (a book store) has a subscription service as well so I might give that a try eventually. All the boxes come with two books and its only 4x a year instead of monthly.

(0) (0)

Posted: Dec 9th, '20, 17:57    

Rubie

Hugs: 134545
I've only heard of owlcrate before this. One of my old coworker's daughter was subscribed to it. She seemed to have liked it. I want to try out a subscription box just to get books I know I would never pick up on my own otherwise.

I might try Osusume Books since I've never heard of that one, and I love Japan as a whole. I won't try it until next year. I've been waiting for my current subscription box (barkbox for my pups) to end before I commit to a new one.

(0) (0)
Buying Lots of Stuff!

Come chat with me?

Posted: Aug 7th, '21, 16:36    

Amura

Hugs: 60304
Mood: Glad to be back! ^o^
I'm not living in the US, so I don't know the book boxes you mention.
I know of one in my country but I never actually felt like siging up. Like, you get random stuff and you don't have a say?
I guess I always have too many books waiting to be read to bother with book boxes...

(0) (0)
G U I D E - F O R - N E W - M E M B E R S

. A v a t a r . I t e m . G u i d e .
A work on progress, but already quite a bunch of sets to check!

[ 8 posts ]