+ (hopefully) more enjoyable to read  17%  [ 3 ]
Don't take this too seriously ;)  39%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 18
 Post subject: Book(s) that made your blood boil
Posted: Feb 5th, '22, 16:24    

Mintyz

Hugs: 29973
Mood: Always tired...
As the title says are there any book(s) that made you feel frustrated to the point of just wanting to throw the book(s) out of a window?

For me two series come to mind.

The first, when I was quite young and my friend recommended to read the House of Night series. Back then I was a completionist and had to finish every series I started no matter how much I disliked it. However, this series was the one to break that cycle. My own personal Herculean task which I failed to conquer. I only made it to the 5th book before I hit a limit. An invisible wall that I'd never met before. Staring blankly at the words on the paper static noise filling my head as my vision filled with vibrant red. I calmly raised the book in my hand and threw it at my beanback chair. I would like to say that the sound of that book hitting the chair brought me catharsis. Alas that was not to be and those emotions I experienced whilst reading the 5 books are seared in my brain. Its been so long that I don't remember other than the basic plot of the books and yet I remember clearly that the books were filled with girl hate, hypocrisy, deus ex machina moments and sl*t shaming. Additionally, the protagonist written as a Mary Sue the likes of I'd never had the displeasure of reading and hopefully never will again.
Even still years later thinking about this series brings back those negative emotions. 0/10 would not recommend.

The second one, Throne of glass. Recommended by an acquaintance with similar reading taste. I've actually written a goodreads review about this one where I let my negative emotions out. So, I don't have as much steam towards this series compared to the previous one. However, boiled down my frustration comes from feeling like the book(s) were falsely advertised as a thrilling murder fantasy with possible political intrique. Yet, the main plot of the book(s) was romance and everything else came secondary. I do have to be fair and disclose that I only made it to the 2nd book of the series before I was done. Still, I have tried the authors other series and they've frustrated me as much as this one. So, overall it's a no from me.

(0) (0)
"If someone ever tells me it's a mistake to have hope,
well, then,
I'll just tell them they're wrong.
And I’ll keep telling them till they believe.
No matter how many times it takes.” – Madoka Kaname

Post subject: Re: Book(s) that made your blood boil
Posted: Mar 4th, '22, 01:22    

PastelWitch

Hugs: 38281
Mood: Obsessed
Hmm I've never had a book that made my blood boil; but I've had a book I just couldn't read because I couldn't stand the dialogue - which was Ready Player One.

Perhaps a little controversial because I know people who love it but the dialogue screamed "I wanna be the main character in my own book and be the best" and it really irritated me.

(0) (0)
she/her
wild knuffel vote

Posted: Mar 4th, '22, 01:36    

Akili Li

Hugs: 222146
Mood: Crumbly Crumpet
I remember discussing points of view and being directed to "The Rook" by Daniel O'Malley (spelling?) as one of the few examples of a book written at least partially in SECOND person point of view (other than choose-your-own-adventure books, naturally)...
and then being quite frustrated because it wasn't really in second person point of view very much at all.

Although the mechanism was clever and interesting, and the world-building was rather fun as far as that subgenre went.

So it didn't actually make my blood boil.

It was just frustrating because what I was given to expect was not at all what I should have been expecting.

I do remember, years and years back, asking a bookstore employee to recommend a book. She handed me "Twilight." I got about halfway through the first chapter and handed it back saying Nevermind, I'd find my own. I wasn't actually that upset at the time, but later when it turned into a best-seller I was thoroughly distressed at the thought that something of that caliber sold so well when other books I adored didn't garner nearly the attention they deserved...

And I remember being quite upset when Da Vinci Code came out, because I used part of the Fibonacci sequence in a few of my own passwords and had to change them afterwards, which was less blood-boiling about the book itself and more grumping because I hadn't realized it was going to be quite such a common tactic.

Hmm.

There were a few history textbooks I've come across that I've flung across the room as being so outrageously biased and racist.... does that count?

(0) (0)
I want to buy or trade for these knuffels:
Earth Gen 18, Light Gen 19, Fire Gen 21, Air/Light/Water Gen 22, Light Gen 23, Earth/Light Gen 25, Darkness Gen 26.
Please PM me if you can help!

Posted: Mar 15th, '22, 18:13    

Amura

Hugs: 61746
Mood: Glad to be back! ^o^
Sure a bunch of books have made my blood boil, but when you created this thread I could not remember any of them. I guess I removed them from my memory?

But recently somebody liked one of my reviews in GoodReads, which was about a book I definetely hated so I suppose it's worth sharing.
The title was Mathematician Women. Obviously a set of biographies. Unexpectedly sexist.
Those women were only worth mentioned because some male colleagues digned acknowledge them, and the book dedicated more lines to that colleague than to the person who is biographed.

Made me mad!

(0) (0)
G U I D E - F O R - N E W - M E M B E R S

. A v a t a r . I t e m . G u i d e .
A work on progress, but already quite a bunch of sets to check!

Posted: Mar 16th, '22, 02:06    

HanafuruLove

Hugs: 43265
Mood: Naega jeil jal naga!!
Ewww that's terrible! It's so absurd that they'd spend a biography talking more about some other random person than the person the biography is of. And that it got published! But I guess that's sexism for you :mcmeh:

As if there aren't plenty of female mathematicians that are amazing all by themselves, no man needed. The women featured in "Hidden Figures" come to mind.

(0) (0)

Posted: Mar 16th, '22, 22:40    

Amura

Yeah, Katherine Johnson had quite a life.
I like telling my stories about the lives of some Mathematicians. She's one of them.
Also Ada Lovelace and Hedy Lamarr.
And, well, some guys too. Namely Alan Turing and Evariste Galois.

Today I was talking with one of my students about Mary Shelley, cause he's reading Frankenstein.
They more or less knew already about Shelly and company, but I could not help adding that Lord Byron was Ada's father :mclaugh:
"Oh, but Mathematicians are everywhere!!" they said XD

(0) (0)

Posted: Oct 12th, '22, 05:24    

Danna

Hugs: 1808
Mood: ready for the tea
Website: https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/32172282/
Everyone can laugh, but when I was in high school everyone was reading the Twilight series. I only ever read the first book not knowing there was a whole series... and lord I WISH I never knew there was more. My friend lent me her personal copy of New Moon and I never wanted to toss a book into a trash can so fast in my life. Every sentence was frustrating to read it was driving me insane. I kept up with the series to kind of fit in with my friend group at the time, but I made it known that my least favorite out of them was New Moon.

(0) (0)
Can be found:

Subeta || MycenaCave || Flight Rising

Please PM for personal Discord.

Posted: Oct 12th, '22, 08:33    

Amura

I never read those books. Tbh the premise sounds quite crappy to me already, and whatever review I came across mentioned the writing was far from perfect...
So, nope, nothing to laugh in your comment, sounds sensible to me.

(0) (0)

Posted: Oct 12th, '22, 19:45    

Sanssouci

Hugs: 77811
What really drives me nuts is when the leading guy is abusive, but it's supposed to be a romance somehow. Examples: Honor Bound by Sandra Brown, Sullivan's Woman by Nora Roberts, Pamela by Samuel Richardson, This Other Eden by Marilyn Harris.

(0) (0)

Posted: Oct 12th, '22, 21:03    

dreamthief

Hugs: 2986
Mood: disassociative
Sanssouci wrote:What really drives me nuts is when the leading guy is abusive, but it's supposed to be a romance somehow. Examples: Honor Bound by Sandra Brown, Sullivan's Woman by Nora Roberts, Pamela by Samuel Richardson, This Other Eden by Marilyn Harris.
All old (and some newer) Nora Roberts are like that one as that was/is her style. They say it was how people saw romance back then but to me it just feels like making people believe being a jerk is something to admire in a person. :}

(0) (0)
Found Fairy;Moth Fairy Top.Wind Fairy Leaf

ImageImage
Love Them, Feed them, Raise Them.

[ 12 posts ]