[ 25 posts ] 
Have you ever taken art classes?
Yes, and they helped a lot!  15%  [ 24 ]
Yes, but I taught myself all the good stuff.  21%  [ 34 ]
A couple here and there.  16%  [ 26 ]
No, I am self taught.  21%  [ 34 ]
I'm not even an artist!  27%  [ 43 ]
Total votes : 161
 Post subject: Re: How did you learn to make art?
Posted: Oct 22nd, '15, 06:52    

VioletSparkle

Hugs: 16407
I learn to draw at home. I would see pictures in magazines and try to copy them. i was good during grade school, but my school didn't provide art classes. My favorite one was copying a beautiful picture of a bird of paradise from a golden encyclopedia. I enlarged it and painted it with neon paint and markers. Wish I still had it. I had a few Soap Opera magazines that I did pastel portraits from.

Took an art class in high school. Did terrible in it, so I didn't believe much in my abilities after that. Decided years later to go to college. Still working on my degree in Fine Arts.

I like looking through art books and looking up tutorials to learn how to draw things.

(0) (0)

Posted: Oct 26th, '15, 03:40    

Star_Dust

Hugs: 47422
Mood: Lurking
I'm self taught and I just draw whenever I can, I have always doodled whenever possible and it just helped my drawing ability

(0) (0)
Hopes and Dreams
Dream Avi.... That will never happen...

Feed My Knuffels!

Posted: Nov 8th, '15, 08:35    

light_sucks

Hugs: 156041
Mood: vaguely alive
Mostly I've taught myself. Though I have had some classes. I didn't really like the classes. I felt they were more hurtful than helpful. I did learn a few things though.

(0) (0)
They/Them pronouns, please.

Call me Moss.

Posted: Dec 1st, '15, 09:58    

L0VE

Hugs: 2152
I was self taught for the first few years, helpful hints and tips from friends and I glanced at art books here and there. Took art in high school, but the teach didn't like students v. much and we were made to do things very halfassed.

It wasn't until college when I took design and figure drawing did things really change BD I guess I move at a a very safe pace, but seeing everyone around me starting to flourish in their skills pushed me farther, and realllly helped me a lot * o* I know some people will swear art classes hinders you in whatever way but I'm personally glad I took some, critiques from peers and professors alike can really help wonders (especially help you deal with constructive criticism lol.

(0) (0)

Posted: Apr 2nd, '16, 05:58    

wintrydaze

Hugs: 15974
Mood: RAWRR.
Mostly self-taught I guess? Started with doodles and when I got a bit more serious about it, it went on to learning from observing or copying images, and then following tutorials online.

(0) (0)
Strangers are only friends you haven't met.

instagram

Posted: Apr 15th, '16, 12:21    

Calielle

Hugs: 7151
Hello,
I learned to draw myself, looking at the drawings of others, observing the lights and shadows of bodies and faces.

(0) (0)
Image ImageImage Image

Posted: May 8th, '16, 05:04    

SaltPoisson

Hugs: 13494
I took a class on it. To learn portrait drawing, you should definitely start with a real person or a photograph, rather than emulating another portrait. I recommend a black-and-white photograph as it already comes with where to place the shadows and also the subject will not move. I also recommend that you start with old people since it's easier to hide mistakes when your subject is already imperfect. Thirdly, I discourage against using fashion magazines to find your subjects. The shadows on fashion photos are usually very minimal so it's hard to use them for drawing purposes.

(0) (0)
"I'm pasty white, my eyes are huge, and I have blonde hair. 'course I look Japanese!"
NEVILLE
would have done it in four books
There's a milkman waiting in the sky.
He likes to deliver dairy so long as it's homogenized.
There's a milkman waiting in the sky.
He drives a rundown milk truck
And his milk's been pasteurized.

He told me;

Let the bovines moo it!
Let the bovines chew it!
Let the bovines boogie
Down, down dah dah dah
Dah dah dah dah
Dah dah dah dah...

Posted: Sep 25th, '16, 11:41    

Stuart Pot

Hugs: 15474
Mood: Totally HYPED!!!! ♥w♥
I guess, I learned at most by myself... especially the last months. I made more sketches of single parts like arms, hands, feet, poses, facial expressions...
Earlier I learned at lot from my "role models", when I started to analyze their arts and tried to make them similar. Also from the feedback I got on my finished drawings. Feedback can be very helpful :)
If I don't know how to draw a special pose or so, then I'm looking for references. :mccute: No matter if I'll use google or "how to draw"-books.

(0) (0)
My name is Pot, Stuart Pot! (:P)
It'll be alright in the end, and if it's not alright, it's not the end.

Posted: Oct 4th, '16, 01:57    

-Leo-

Hugs: 46660
Mood: Ta-ta!
For me and with pretty much any and all art forms (drawing, writing, music etc etc. And not just with art to be honest), self study always works best. Somehow I don't do well when someone tries to teach me anything. Mostly because they haven't been much of a teachers and I take my sweet time actually understanding and learning new things (although to be fair, once I do, that stuff is so much stronger and better with me). Some tutorials seem to work however, now and then. Again, usually not made by someone who does teaching for a living... How sad and ironic...

(0) (0)

" Fantasy is what people want, but reality is what they need "

Posted: Oct 23rd, '16, 06:19    

Live_Evil

Hugs: 11494
Mood: tired =_=
I first started out learning from a how to draw manga book. then I started to take art classes but i still continued to learn from the books. I then went to tutorials and YouTube videos and some of them are helpful but the videos mostly are for how to use Photoshop, the tutorials were better. To really learn in an art class you need a good teacher and the only good teacher I've had is in college. She pointed all the bad spots in my work and told me how i could improve them and that's how i found out that i learned more when someone criticizes your work then when they say "oh that looks nice" or "that's so cool".

So start out learning on your own and use books, videos, tutorials, etc. to help you out. And if you get a good art teacher then coo-dos to you. But in my experience it takes a mixture of everything to get better.

(0) (0)

[ 25 posts ]