Jump to:

[ 118 posts ] 
 Post subject: Selling & Auctioning Rules
Posted: Apr 27th, '09, 14:13    

Illustrator
Firn

Hugs: 212997
Mood: [¬º-°]¬
    Due to constant drama in the Selling Offer forums I didn't see any other choice but to put up some rules for the selling and auctioning of items.

First of all - The selling forum is for selling items for your avatar or Fairy Coins only. All other things like custom art belongs into the Custom Shops Forum. Selling Material belongs into the Material Trades forum.
    Things like lotteries where you sell tickets or similar threads do not belong here. The only place we have for them is the Spam forum. Taking part in them is at your own risk.
    If you do not have anything to sell, but want to buy something, please go to the Buying forum.

Thread Index:

1. Selling Items
      2. Auctioning Items
      3. Price Guides
      4. Bazaar Etiquette

(0) (0)

Post subject: Re: Selling & Auctioning Rules [Updated]

Illustrator
Firn

Selling Items

If you have several items to sell at the same time - don't create separate threads for the items, but sell them in one thread.

One of the most important things to understand before you sell an items is the difference between selling an item and auctioning an items.

Selling an item means, you either put up a fixed price for your item(s) and sell the item(s) for this price.
    It is your item and you do not have to sell it to everyone. Some people don't like selling to item hoarders, but prefer to sell an item to someone who doesn't have the item yet. In this case you must clearly state why you would not sell your item to someone in advance.

You can also sell your item without a fixed price, meaning you put it up for sale and people can offer a price they are willing to pay for the item.
    However, unlike in an auction you have to either accept the offer and sell the item to the person instantly or you have to decline it. There is no in between. You cannot expect people to hold their offered items/food/fairy coins for you forever.

Some sellers hold items for their buyers, meaning they allow the buyer a certain time to get the food needed for the item. This is very nice of the sellers, but they do this on their own risk.

Everything that is not covered in this rules is up the seller's own decision.

Do not post in old and inactive threads. (necroing)

(0) (0)

Post subject: Re: Selling & Auctioning Rules

Illustrator
Firn

Auctioning Items

Unlike selling, auctioning means you put up your item for auction and anyone can offer.

If you have several items to auction at the same time - don't create separate threads for the items, but auction them in one thread.

If there are certain kinds or amounts of items/food/fairy coins/etc you do not accept as offers you have to clearly state so in advance.

Your auction must have a reasonable end date. You cannot just run an auction and "wait" till you get an offer you like. You have to sell the item to the person with the highest offer at the end of the auction. Please try to be as specific as possible with your auction's end date and state a time and your timezone. You are not allowed to change the end date of the auction just because you aren't getting bids you like.

Make sure you have a starting bid that is an acceptable price for your item, meaning start your auction at a price that is the minimum you would be willing to sell it for.

Make sure you let people know how you value their offers. Some people might feel offended if you decline their bid, because you value a different bid higher than theirs.

You don't have to add an auto-buy price; but if you do, you have to accept it; no matter whether someone else is willing to offer more.

Whether you allow a person to cancel a bid is up to you; however, if you allow a bid to be canceled, you have to detract all the bids from that person from the auctioning so it won't be unfair to other bidders.

If you don't like sniping bids, meaning bids that are made within the last few minutes of an auction, you are free to extend your auction for a couple of minutes - max 1 hour whenever there is a bid being made within the last few minutes of your auction. However, if you want to do so, you must state so in your auction from the beginning!

Everything that is not covered in this rules is up the auctioneer's own decision.

Do not post in old and inactive threads. (necroing)

(0) (0)

Posted: Apr 27th, '09, 14:50    

RaiRai

Hugs: 19051
Mood: Chipper.
Bazaar Etiquette

We all love to buy and sell. It makes the world go around. But there are some things to keep in mind when buying and selling on Kingdom of Knuffel. Please try to take these into consideration.

Please only offer to sell items in your own threads. Going into someone else's thread to offer to sell to their customers is rude. If you want to make sales, feel free to set up your own selling thread and put up the items you have for sale there.

Offer what you can afford. If the thread creator gives you extra time to get the payment to them, keep in contact with the seller so that they can be informed of any changes in plans. Try not to change your mind at the last minute and withdraw your offer, this often makes a seller feel like they've been cheated out of a sale.

Try not to complain about prices. We know some items can reach high amounts and that you may get outbid on the items you want often, but this is how economies work. Also, if a price is too high, you have the choice not to buy. So allow sellers to choose their own prices for items and shop around.

(0) (0)
I am a COMMON fiend.
  1. Selling: Fairy Coins. 7.2k each. Please PM.
    Wanting: TT items. Various Items exchanged for my Wanted Items. Check here!
    Buying: Commons. Check here for needed items.
    Questing: Various Materials. Check my thread for quest item trades.

~Wanted Quest Items.~

Image Image

Please Feed My Knuffel:

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Posted: Apr 27th, '09, 17:13    

gaara_dgl

Hugs: 54508
Mood: :P
Hopefully these will help ^^
I see a few typos
In "selling items" It says "One for the most
Should be "of" right? o.o

(0) (0)

Posted: Apr 27th, '09, 18:21    

Hells_Bells

Hugs: 1707
    These seem really helpful.

The only one I don't agree with on Firn's rules is this one:

Whether you allow a person to cancel a bid is up to you, however, if you allow a bid to be canceled, you have to distract all the bids from that person from the auctioning so it won't be unfair to other bidders.

I think that it should be changed that if such an occurance happens that the seller should be able to end the auction just in case the item drastically drops below the usual or expected price for the item :( That way , no one gets screwed.

(0) (0)

Posted: Apr 27th, '09, 18:39    

Shinji_Fumajime

Hugs: 69470
Mood: *Proudly green now and forever since Jun 26th, '08, 16:36.* KOfk's Official Silent Beast™
Whether you allow a person to cancel a bid is up to you, however, if you allow a bid to be canceled, you have to distract all the bids from that person from the auctioning so it won't be unfair to other bidders.

I would have to agree with her on that one. Sometimes they are one of the only people planning on bidding and/or there's no one else willing to go that high with it.

Oh, and I was also curious. I'm supposing you meant "detract" rather than "distract"? I could be wrong...

Edit: Other than that I really would have to say that it's nice to see this sort of thing up. It's a nice thing to go by, and I know I've seen it asked for at least once or twice now.

(0) (0)
:qh: Wren & Shinji :qh:

Posted: Apr 27th, '09, 19:04    

LilChaosKitten

Hugs: 73012
Mood: ..And I don't want the world to see me... Cause I don't think that they'd understand...
Thanks, Firn. <3

I know I'm probably one of the most frequent people
who brings up these types of issues in the Selling Threads
the most.... and I'm sorry for that. D:

I really appreciate you posting this.
Hopefully, this will help resolve any future issues. <3

(0) (0)

Posted: Apr 27th, '09, 19:17    

Her Ugliness

Hugs: 31441
Mood: ⊙﹏⊙
Hells_Bells wrote:

I think that it should be changed that if such an occurance happens that the seller should be able to end the auction just in case the item drastically drops below the usual or expected price for the item :( That way , no one gets screwed.

That's why it says people should make sure that their starting bid is the minimum of what they want to sell the item for. And the seller always has the right to refuse to let people withdraw bids.
And other solution is unfair to the bidders.
We recently had a case where one person constantly bid, driving the price of the item really high, and then in the end, she withdrew her final bid leaving the highest bidder with a bid that, without the person who withdrew her bid's bidding would possibly not have been that high. Like:
Person A: 5K
Person B: 10K
Person A: 20K
Person B: 30K
Person A: 40K
Person B: 50K
Person B: Withdrawing bid
which leaves Person A with a HB of 40K, while the person, who in the end didn't want the item anymore drove the bidding from 5K to 40K. This is just an example and it didn't exactly happen like this, but this is to explain to you why I decided to make the rule like this.

(0) (0)

Posted: Apr 27th, '09, 19:29    

Shinji_Fumajime

Hugs: 69470
Mood: *Proudly green now and forever since Jun 26th, '08, 16:36.* KOfk's Official Silent Beast™
Well, that really would make sense in the end. I was curious if this sort of thing could happen in ebay (as we know is an auctioning site), and it is possible, they just say it should be rare.

I do know there's such a thing as auctions on ebay there is such a thing as a "Spoiler". They bid very high on an item without the intentions of actually going through with the purchase....which sounds somewhat like what's going on in that scenario.

Here's some of the article I found, I won't post it all, so the rest can be found here: Spoilers and How to Handle Them

"Question - What is a "Spoiler"?
Answer - A Spoiler is a bidder who places a ridiculously high bid on an auction with no intention of honoring that bid.

On first glance, a Spoiler would appear to be a seller's best friend. After all, this bidder has ensured the maximum sale price for the item, right? Wrong. In fact, just the opposite is true.

The problem is that the Spoiler does not intend to pay this price - he (or she) never did. The Spoiler only entered their very high bid in order to guarantee a win by chasing out other bidders - hopefully long before the bidding has reached their maximum amount.

When other bidders are bidding against a Spoiler, they become discouraged after seeing themselves instantly outbid over and over again. They soon figure out that the Spoiler has bid far higher than they (the other bidders) are willing to go, and they often drop out long before they've placed their maximum bid.

The situation can become even more problematic when another bidder responds to the Spoiler by becomming frustrated and entering an unreasonably high bid themselves. Now all of a sudden, two people have placed sky-high bids on an item, and no one else will even consider this auction. The item will close at a very high price, but the seller will soon receive an email from the Spoiler explaining that the high bid was a mistake, their kid got into their eBay account, or whatever story they think will fly. The point is the Spoiler is not going to honor the bid.

And as for Second Chance Offers, the second-highest bidder really didn't intend to pay this high price, either. He (or she) was bidding out of frustration, curiosity or both, and they only wanted to see how high the Spoiler was willing to go. The second-highest bidder may have lost out to the Spoiler before and might be angry enough to punish them by forcing the Spoiler's bid up as high as they dare. By the time a seller is contacting the third-highest bidder, the item is most likely selling for much less than it would have in a fair auction."

(0) (0)
:qh: Wren & Shinji :qh:

[ 118 posts ]