None  7%  [ 15 ]
Food  25%  [ 53 ]
Total votes : 210
 Post subject: Re: Chrizi's Crafty Corner
Posted: Apr 11th, '17, 16:12    

Akili Li

Hugs: 220589
Mood: Crumbly Crumpet
I'm mostly seeing just broken image icons and blocked links, but that's probably because I'm on an airport shuttle and using its free wi-fi, lol. How long did it take you to do that first project, though? Were you working off of a pattern or free-hand?

I love crafty stuff but don't have the dedication to really master any particular form of it. The one I've stuck with longest has probably been working with various rocks and stones and gems. Slabbing, polishing, tumbling, setting, wire-wrapping, using them in mosaics and sort of stained-glass equivalent. I'm not the tidiest person, or the most organized, but... I have a lot of patience. So even though I don't stop and measure, my cabochons come out most of the time and nothing's ever been so bad I had to toss it.
Well, once.
But that wasn't my fault; there was a hidden inclusion in the stone which gave it a weak area and it literally crumbled off when the cat batted it off the counter. Broke it wide open and there wasn't enough left of the good stuff to reshape it.

(0) (0)
I want to buy or trade for these knuffels:
Earth Gen 18, Light Gen 19, Fire Gen 21, Air/Light/Water Gen 22, Light Gen 23, Earth/Light Gen 25, Darkness Gen 26.
Please PM me if you can help!

Post subject: Re: Chrizi's Crafty Corner - come chat!
Posted: Apr 11th, '17, 16:29    

Chrizine

Hugs: 109519
Mood: Elusive Crumpet
Huh, weird. I'll assume it's your wifi for now, unless someone else comes in who sees broken images as well... But tell me if it persists when you have normal internet again, please.

I worked off a description on the internet (this one). I cut the two kinds of rectangles from packing paper first to use as a stencil on the fabric.
I'm not quite sure how long I worked on it all in all, since I cut the fabric one day and did the actual sewing on another, but the sewing itself I did all in one sitting, so about an evening. It was faster than I expected once I got the machine to stop tangling up the upper and lower thread.
It was actually not so hard, since it's all straight lines, except for the very last seam that goes around once, where I actually turned at the edges in a somewhat round manner.

I've never worked with rock! That sounds fascinating. I've seen quite a lot of really pretty pictures of wire-wrapped pendants, though. What kind of tools do you use to shape and polish the rock? Do you just take some pretty rocks you find outside or some specific stones? I imagine it would be quite cool to always keep an eye out for pretty things to use when you're out and about, that would make any ordinary walk exciting!

Maybe it's for the best that your cat found the weakness in that stone before you used it in a bigger project then?

(0) (0)
My personal Quest thread:

And my buying thread!

My crafty hangout thread, where I talk about my sewing and crocheting projects and would love to hear about any kind of projects you do (or just come chat, that's fine too!):
Most urgent wishes currently:

ImageImageImageImageImage
Ehlenia Eyes (Aqua), Eyrion Fan (Claret), Jiniri Hair (Mocha), Lunar Night Banshee Hair (Blue White), Bat Momma Eyes (Ecru)

Check out jacobgrey's awesome interactive Harry Potter Fanfiction thread!

I'm on Flight Rising and Tattered Weave as well- feel free to friend me!

Posted: Apr 11th, '17, 16:41    

Akili Li

Oh, nice! At least you didn't have to work blind for your first project, then. What was causing the upper and lower threads to tangle, did you figure it out?

(I'll check again with airport internet, and then later when I get there and have house internet. It's probably just this particular wifi settings causing an issue)

Rock is a lot of fun to work with, if you want to try I suggest seeing if there's a local rockhounding group. Most of the people I've met are SUPER kind and eager to help out beginners, and they'll often let you come and borrow equipment and teach you how to use it. The actual tools and equipment is quite an investment, unless you are a very handy person who has access to a good shop (machine-shop, that is). I know a few people who have made their own equipment out of salvaged engines and other items, but, well... I couldn't do that!
Most of mine is inherited or a garage-sale or estate-sale find. I think the rock saw I use would probably cost around 1200 euros if I had to buy it new... I got it for more like forty because the seller was a rockhound friend who was moving into assisted living, and i promised him he could come use it, and then actually went and got him out for visits to do so. So that was a great deal for both of us; he got to keep working on his projects without worrying about storage or upkeep or maintenance or access, and I got a quality piece of equipment at a price I could afford!
Then I've got two tumblers (vibrating barrel and a set of two turning ones), those were inherited, and my father had a flat-lap he's given me permanent loan of, and the genie (for cabs) was a joint gift from the family (they found it used, too, but still).
Wire-wrapping is a lot easier; that's just some basic plier sets with cutters, some hard rods to wind against, maybe a few clamps... nothing major.

I know a few folk who started into it via carving; working with soapstone or other very soft rocks you don't need anything too special. Lap protector (a welcome mat works), goggles, gloves (although a lot of folk skip that and take their chances... makes me nervous!), and a carving knife. You can polish it up later with fine sandpapers and then cloth, if you don't mind it taking a while.

Or flint-knapping, of course. I've never gotten into that one; too worried about flying shards. But that also has seemed less tool-dependent.

As for what to work with... anything you want! If you find something that looks good you can try out how it works and use it.
Though sometimes I do go out looking specifically for stuff. Like visiting cousins in Montana and taking a few days to look in particular for moss agates for window projects (or buying brazilian agates to slice for that same purpose).

(0) (0)
Earth Gen 18, Light Gen 19, Fire Gen 21, Air/Light/Water Gen 22, Light Gen 23, Earth/Light Gen 25, Darkness Gen 26.

Posted: Apr 11th, '17, 17:02    

Chrizine

I'm not entirely sure, but I think it might have been the thread tension of the lower thread. I lowered that a bit and I think that helped.

Oh wow, that sounds like it's quite difficult actually! I've never heard of half the things you mentioned as equipment... The deal with your friend sounds like it's great for both of you though, I guess you both got lucky there :)
I'd probably try wire-wrapping first, since most projects I could think of doing with rocks would probably include that. So it's probably better to start with the less tool-intensive part and just get some finished pretty stones. But I don't think I will start either anytime soon, since I still have so many ideas for what I want to sew!
If I got into something like carving, I'd probably try working with wood, since that would enable me to make hairsticks. Stone is probably to heavy for that, unless you got a stick of wood and then just use it as the topper. If you do woodwork AND wirewrapping AND stone carving you could probably make awesome things by combining all that though...
I really shouldn't start more projects :D
(Actually, I should work on university things instead... gah, but kofk is such a temptation for procrastinating, especially with the caravan being here!)

(0) (0)

And my buying thread!

My crafty hangout thread, where I talk about my sewing and crocheting projects and would love to hear about any kind of projects you do (or just come chat, that's fine too!):

Ehlenia Eyes (Aqua), Eyrion Fan (Claret), Jiniri Hair (Mocha), Lunar Night Banshee Hair (Blue White), Bat Momma Eyes (Ecru)

Posted: Apr 11th, '17, 17:17    

Akili Li

Yeah, it's harder for me to complete things since the internet.
Too many easy temptations of other things to do...

which reminds me. I need to finish up those paper-doll-knuffels and send them to Firn, since I don't think I'll ever actually turn them into wild knuffels, maybe she'll get a kick out of fanart in that form.

(0) (0)

Posted: Apr 11th, '17, 19:05    

Chrizine

Paper-doll-knuffel? That sounds interesting! Did you try designing wild knuffel by dressing them up on paper?

Also, I just bought myself a pattern for a skirt! (Yeah, I didn't do the uni stuff yet... bad me!)
It's this one: click
Now I just have to decide what fabrics to use... Since it has this elastic top part I'll need two, which complicates things, but I thought this might be easier than trying to work in a zipper. Also maybe easier to get the size right, since it's elastic, so hopefully it'll fit even if I don't measure perfectly.

(0) (0)

And my buying thread!

Posted: Apr 11th, '17, 19:28    

Akili Li

Hm, you might find your fabric choices are constrained enough by what's available that goes well that you don't really have much in the way of options on it. If you need a stretchier knit fabric as well as a more stiff woven one....

Guess it depends on what you can find locally? The only option I have locally for fabric has a pretty limited selection, so if I can't remake over other things then it has to wait on a trip in to one of the big cities....

Okay though, now I'm actually at the airport let me see those images and links!
Woo-hoo! Success!

Oh, now, that really is a nice crochet-hook case. Beautiful work for a first project; did you do a lot of hand-sewing before you got the machine?

(And, yes, I was trying to design my wild kuffels by making the base a paper doll and the various evolutions I was considering into the dress-up part.)

(0) (0)

Posted: Apr 11th, '17, 20:53    

chuunibyou

Hugs: 99469
Mood: spiritual
Akili Li wrote: (And, yes, I was trying to design my wild kuffels by making the base a paper doll and the various evolutions I was considering into the dress-up part.)
oh my grog that is so clever :mclove: all this time i've been moping about my lack of art skills but i see now that it's creativity that's key

will you share them as you make them in this thread?

(0) (0)
Come chat with me at my hangout thread!
Stroctoperry wrote:Because KofK trumps homework, for some reason.
Death Candy wrote:I just realized that "take out" means food, dating, and murder. And if you were a female praying mantis you'd have all three.
Akili Li wrote:People talk about bravery in these super dramatic terms like it only applies to soldiers going to war, but for all that I think true courage is found in the hard every day moments of social interaction and standing up for what you believe in even when it's not life-or-death, when it's instead a matter of approval-or-ostracization among people whose opinions you care about. That's harder, to my mind. That's an ongoing, you have to live with it forever thing, instead of one single moment that's the exception instead of the rule.

First fairy found 28th May 2015
Second fairy found 11th May 2017
Third fairy found 9th Jan 2024

Posted: Apr 11th, '17, 21:52    

Chrizine

I've given up on finding fabrics locally, I ordered the ones for my last project online already. The local store has a great selection of yarn, so I get all my crocheting materials there, and I also got the green thread I used for the fancy visible seams there to match my fabric, but they only have very few fabrics and none that I really liked.
I was thinking I'd look for a patterned fabric that contains white (or maybe black, but I'd prefer white) and then just take a very simple white (/black) stretchy fabric for the top. A little like they did in the example pictures of the pattern. That should be doable. But yes, it does exclude my green with green dots ideas for this project. But I'll tackle the zippers at some point, I can use that idea later.

Thank you :) Not a terrible lot, I hemmed my bedroom drapes by hand (and was very proud to get that done, it took forever but turned out better than I expected) and I do some little repairs of clothes here and there.

I agree, Amba, it's a great idea to do that - I'm the same as you, always sad about not having any art skills, but not creative like Akili.

Also, love that gif ;)

(0) (0)

And my buying thread!

Posted: Apr 13th, '17, 03:34    

Akili Li

Eh, the idea is probably more exciting than my execution of it. But I can maybe actually do it! I have a thing that does photos now!
(Really brand new. It's about four days old now and I am still trying to figure out how it works, but still. It is suddenly possible, where just last week I'd have said you'd only see it if, when I sent them to Firn, she somehow showed them to the community. But I have a way to take photos now.... should definitely do that first, and THEN send them to Firn.)

(0) (0)

[ 734 posts ]