Sewing  16%  [ 33 ]
Weaving  2%  [ 5 ]
Embroidery  8%  [ 16 ]
Quilting  5%  [ 11 ]
Other (please tell me what so I can include it in the poll!)  18%  [ 37 ]
None  7%  [ 15 ]
Food  25%  [ 53 ]
Total votes : 210
 Post subject: Re: Chrizi's Crafty Corner - come chat!
Posted: Jan 14th, '18, 20:09    

jacobgrey

Hugs: 130698
Mood: (◡‿◡)
Ahhh I miss the Sims! I used to spend so many hours playing it.
It's probably good I don't have it anymore but I sometimes get tempted. It's so much fun building. I used to always use the cheat code to get infinite money and build dream houses, but then I would end up crashing my computer because the house would be too big XD

I'm pretty much the same haha. I have way too many games on my phone now. I used to play one or two on my phone and one or two on my tablet but I haven't even turned my tablet on in weeks. I guess that is quickly becoming a waste of money XD Although I did use it a lot for the first year or so after I got it.

Sometimes it's just best to put in more work, right? I slowly started to learn that haha.

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
First fairy 8.4.15; 2nd 7.6.17
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Jan 14th, '18, 22:37    

Chrizine

Hugs: 109546
Mood: Elusive Crumpet
Hahaha, I totally feel ya! I didn't crash my pc, but it tended to get awfully slow and started to lag horribly :D
Also, yeees, cheating is how to play the sims ;) I also tended to stop the needs of my sims when I actually ended up playing a family for a bit instead of just building and creating characters.

I also have some other games on my phone, but at the moment I avoid playing them. I know that I sink way more time into them than is sensible when I start playing them again...
Well, if you used it for a year, then it wasn't totally wasted at least. My tablet is on holidays right now as well - I use it mostly to take notes in lectures, so that's okay. If I had it just for recreational purposes it wouldn't be worth having either, but it's really useful for uni and sometimes it is nice to have at home, too.

Yes, I agree. It can be a hard lesson to learn that, but in the end it is very often worth it.
I just finished the second side seam, next up are the sleeves, but I won't start them tonight anymore, it's already quite late and I expect they will take a while. I don't want to have to stop in the middle of it.
Here's a horrible quality progress pic: click

(0) (0)
My personal Quest thread:

And my buying thread!

My crafty hangout thread, where I talk about my sewing and crocheting projects and would love to hear about any kind of projects you do (or just come chat, that's fine too!):
Most urgent wishes currently:

ImageImageImageImageImage
Ehlenia Eyes (Aqua), Eyrion Fan (Claret), Jiniri Hair (Mocha), Lunar Night Banshee Hair (Blue White), Bat Momma Eyes (Ecru)

Check out jacobgrey's awesome interactive Harry Potter Fanfiction thread!

I'm on Flight Rising and Tattered Weave as well- feel free to friend me!

Posted: Jan 15th, '18, 14:26    

jacobgrey

Ooh it's starting to come together!

I was supposed to use my tablet for model coaching but then no one ever signed up for coaching >.> once I even gave away a session as a prize and the winner didn't collect it. Oh well haha. I guess some of my ideas work and some don't XD

I managed to sneak some sewing time last night! J decided he wanted to watch a series that I already saw over Christmas with my parents so I could sit and sew quickly without even having to look at the screen. I finished a Star Wars hoop I was working on for my shop. No pictures yet, I need to get the fabric ironed a bit because the hoop on this one wasn't tight enough to stretch out the creases from where it was folded up in storage.

I've been sitting thinking about so many ideas from these books :mcdead: I have so many in mind. There are probably about 20 samplers I could do just going one by one through the techniques that would look good in a sampler. That's on top of the ideas I already had before getting the books of course :mcdead:

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Jan 15th, '18, 17:37    

Chrizine

Yes :)

model coaching? I'm not sure what that is.

Yay for sewing time :)
Haha, better to have too many ideas than too few, right? ;) On that note...
I'm thinking about sewing a bag like this (german page, sorry, but there's a picture) for my crocheting yarn. That might be a good opportunity to try some embroidery on as well, since if it looks weird, it will still be useful, not like if I mess up some clothes that I'd then never wear. Also it's a chance to try using zippers, I haven't done that yet :) I was planning to sew a little bag with a zipper for trying that out at some point anyway, but with this it'll have a purpose :)
I even still have some fabric around that I can use, but I think I want to look in the local store if I find something I like better for the outside and then use some of my leftovers just for the inner lining.

(0) (0)

And my buying thread!

My crafty hangout thread, where I talk about my sewing and crocheting projects and would love to hear about any kind of projects you do (or just come chat, that's fine too!):

Ehlenia Eyes (Aqua), Eyrion Fan (Claret), Jiniri Hair (Mocha), Lunar Night Banshee Hair (Blue White), Bat Momma Eyes (Ecru)

Posted: Jan 15th, '18, 17:44    

jacobgrey

It's... coaching models, I don't know how else to put it :mcheh: like teaching them how to pose properly, how to take direction, and so on.

That sounds like a good idea! It's a great way to practice. The first thing I ever made with my sewing machine was a tiny bag from scraps which I used to put all my scrap pieces of material in, for use as stuffing later XD The bag is kind of silly with lots of different stitches all over it, but it was good for practice.

I managed to steal 10 minutes just now to do some beadwork, but since I'm already 6 hours+ into this one and only 2/3 of the way done, 10 minutes didn't help much lol. And now back to work :mcmeh:

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Jan 15th, '18, 17:57    

Chrizine

Ah, I see, people models :D Sorry, in my head I was thinking more like the abstract concept of modelling things, like modelling the desired behaviour of a system using some modelling language :D My brain is stuck too deep in computer science ;)

My first project was a roll-up bag to hold my crocheting hooks, with similar reasoning :) It's always nice to make small useful things for practicing new techniques on. But I did try out all the different stitches and settings of my machine on an old broken bedsheet first before attempting to actually work on good fabric :D

Now I just need to figure out what I want to embroider (is that a word? I only really know the noun) onto it. I found a few tutorials for simple roses using ribbons already, but they were more like "here's how to do one rose" not some sort of arrangement. I guess I'll have to come up with that myself?

Hm, 10 minutes might be better than nothing, but it's not a lot... I should get to work as well, I haven't done my studying for today yet.

(0) (0)

And my buying thread!

Posted: Jan 15th, '18, 18:18    

jacobgrey

Hehe yes people models. Although I bet in some place somewhere there is a person calling themselves a model coach because they teach people how to do the kind of modelling to do with computer science as well XD

Embroider is the right verb! ahh yeah I guess you'll have to plan it out yourself. Or you could search for what others have done and copy their designs using the tutorial as a basis, since you're keeping it for yourself.

I'm being driven mad, I had to personalise and send about 100 emails over the past two days. Of course now the replies are starting to come back as well which is even worse :mcdead: At this rate I'll never get back to sewing, it doesn't help when I feel so mentally drained when I get to the evening that I can't even bring myself to sew then. Someone needs to give me a big donation of money so I can relax for a bit and sew instead of working XD

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Jan 15th, '18, 19:53    

Chrizine

Probably :D How did you intend to use the tablet for it? Like, take shots of them and show them how it looks on the tablet?

Funny, I think I've never seen the verb used :) I think I'll look at a few more instructions and examples to figure out what I want to do. It might also depend a bit on what kind of fabric I end up going with and what might fit with it.

That's the worst thing about emails, they only lead to more emails ;) I totally feel you on being drained after a long day of work. I often don't manage to do more than read some threads on kofk and watch some youtube in the evening during the semester, which is why I'm really happy to have some more time and energy for my projects right now. Expect to see my progress slow to a crawl again in about a month ;)
I hope I'll manage to finish my shirt and at least start the next project (probably either the bag or a skirt that I have already all materials for) before that happens.

(0) (0)

And my buying thread!

Posted: Jan 15th, '18, 20:13    

jacobgrey

I had a whole presentation set up! I'm a little goofy with graphic design and I love creating PDFs, presentations, and so on. I had a lesson plan which started in the booklet so I could scroll through each page of the presentation and show them examples of good poses and bad poses, then break away to work on it in front of the lens, then come back to the tablet to look at lighting examples, then in front of the lens again, and so on. It would have been really good actually XD If I had managed to get anyone to do it they would have been impressed. I guess now it's just part of my graphic design portfolio instead XD

And when you finally clear them you get more emails again XD like shovelling snow or raking leaves. I'm doing well today I think, catching up with my goals, but it still feels like a mountain is looming above me lol. Tonight I want to try to get the main surface of the beadwork finished, but that will require energy for at least two hours of work I think.

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Jan 15th, '18, 22:31    

Chrizine

That sounds pretty cool! Too bad nobody ever tried it out. But if you can at least use the stuff you designed for it for your portfolio, that's something :)

I absolutely hate raking leaves :D Snow is fine if it's not currently snowing, then at least it's satisfying in the moment. Leaves get blown all over the place again while you're still raking more often than not...
Good luck on the beadwork! I hope you'll have some time and feel like doing it so that you can have some fun with it :)

(0) (0)

And my buying thread!

[ 734 posts ]