Sewing  16%  [ 33 ]
Weaving  2%  [ 5 ]
Embroidery  8%  [ 16 ]
Quilting  5%  [ 11 ]
Other (please tell me what so I can include it in the poll!)  18%  [ 37 ]
None  7%  [ 15 ]
Food  25%  [ 53 ]
Total votes : 210
 Post subject: Re: Chrizi's Crafty Corner - come chat!
Posted: Jan 16th, '18, 12:47    

jacobgrey

Hugs: 130654
Mood: (◡‿◡)
I managed to get... 20 minutes done XD Ahahah barely anything. Today I might have more luck because J has the day off work, so he'll most likely distract me too much to get actual work done XD

I just realised a load of my Etsy listings are about to expire. They had a promotion 3 months ago where I got 50 free listings. Now half my listings are going to run out at once :mcdead: that's going to be a lot of fees at the end of the month.

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
First fairy 8.4.15; 2nd 7.6.17
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Jan 16th, '18, 20:32    

Chrizine

Hugs: 109515
Mood: Elusive Crumpet
Well, it's something ;) Hope you'll really find some time today :)

I ended up crocheting while watching some ribbon embroidery tutorials yesterday evening. I really liked these videos, the lady is very nice and she explained a few different basic flowers, so I think I'll try to get a fabric that I can picture some scattered random flowers on so I can experiment with the different techniques a bit :)

Huh, I didn't know listings on etsy cost something and expire. I thought they just take a part of your sales? That sucks :(

Haven't done anything crafty yet today, we did a bit of grocery shopping earlier and I was studying. Now it's so dark already, I somehow never feel like starting to sew in the dark, don't even know why. The machine has light anyway... But maybe I'll just try to do some of the studying scheduled for tomorrow now while I'm in the flow so that I can hopefully do the sleeves tomorrow. *is scared of the sleeves*

(0) (0)
My personal Quest thread:

And my buying thread!

My crafty hangout thread, where I talk about my sewing and crocheting projects and would love to hear about any kind of projects you do (or just come chat, that's fine too!):
Most urgent wishes currently:

ImageImageImageImageImage
Ehlenia Eyes (Aqua), Eyrion Fan (Claret), Jiniri Hair (Mocha), Lunar Night Banshee Hair (Blue White), Bat Momma Eyes (Ecru)

Check out jacobgrey's awesome interactive Harry Potter Fanfiction thread!

I'm on Flight Rising and Tattered Weave as well- feel free to friend me!

Posted: Jan 17th, '18, 13:13    

jacobgrey

I did just a little bit again haha. Then J asked me to repair his suit jacket which he had caught and ripped a small part of the lining. When he showed it to me... :mcdead: He somehow caught the pocket, which ripped completely away from the lining on two sides. It has all also frayed completely, so there's barely any fabric left to sew with. I told him if I do repair it, it will take a long time and a lot of small stitches, and I will most likely have to move the pocket over to attach it to the firm part of the lining which means that it will look distorted from the outside. His response was all sulky and "I'll do it myself then". Well, nope, it doesn't matter who the person is that repairs it, you have wrecked it beyond salvaging lol. Oh and can I please hem his trousers for him? Bear in mind he's had these trousers for at least six months of course.

So it seems like my free sewing time is booked for a while lol.

That sounds nice! When it starts out random sometimes that ends up the best :3

Yeah, it does suck. It costs $.20 for each listing and then you get a part of the sales taken off as well. But the listings only last for three months. In the first year of having my shop I only made three sales and I've had 50 items in stock, so you can see it's pretty tough. I had a lot of free listings to use, but I still ended up having to pay for a lot of them as well.

I'm hoping I can start selling more at craft fairs this year, but I've had to pay £70 for insurance and then £25 for each stall I do, which means it will take a while to break even if I do sell. I'm adding £5 to the price of each item on my stall so I only need to sell five to cover the cost of the stall, and after that I can hopefully start to break into covering the insurance. If I don't manage that this year I'm not sure how or where I will sell things. But at least I don't have to pay fees after selling as well with a craft fair and there's no limit to how many things I can bring to sell.

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Jan 26th, '18, 00:16    

Chrizine

Oh my, that thing with the suit jacket sounds frustrating. How did you two end up working it out?

I decided to just stick with my leftover fabrics for the bag but bought a bunch of lovely ribbons :) So I'll probably start playing around with them soon. I'm curious what it will end up looking like :)

That does sound pretty tough, 3 months really isn't very long... I guess they need to finance themselves as well, but that seems hard especially on people who make a lot of very unique things that might take time to find a buyer.
Craft fairs sound like a fun experience! The investment of the insurance and stall fees is tough as well, of course, but I could imagine that people are more likely to buy something because it catches their eye while they walk around at such an event than online, where you somehow have to get people to even find your shop in the first place. Good luck with your sales!

I didn't do any sewing the last few days, since I had my exam yesterday, but I did manage to attach the first of my sleeves today! It was tricky in some places, but I'm happy with the result - took all afternoon though :D Hopefully I can do the other one tomorrow and then finish the neckline and hems soon, too.
I really want to get this shirt done in January, since I'll be visiting my dad and my sister at the beginning of february and I'd like to show it to them. My dad is really supportive of my sewing, he got me the machine as a christmas present in the first place and has been watching out for craft stores around him and taken me there to buy fabric when I was visiting :)

(0) (0)

And my buying thread!

My crafty hangout thread, where I talk about my sewing and crocheting projects and would love to hear about any kind of projects you do (or just come chat, that's fine too!):

Ehlenia Eyes (Aqua), Eyrion Fan (Claret), Jiniri Hair (Mocha), Lunar Night Banshee Hair (Blue White), Bat Momma Eyes (Ecru)

Posted: Jan 26th, '18, 01:22    

jacobgrey

I have been really naughty and have been sewing when I should have been trying to work. And also, just as I was getting towards finishing my beadwork cuff aka the boring bit of backing and edging it, I started a new project instead... yeah just slap me lol.

I love new ribbons :qlov: isn't it just so exciting? I got a few new packets of beads today because I was running out of a couple of times. And snuck some sequins into the basket too XD

Thanks for the luck :) I guess the first one will be more about finding out what people like and from then on I'll do better. Hope you get your shirt done soon :)

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Jan 26th, '18, 01:38    

Chrizine

*gives you a stern look* back to work!
:D
But I totally get kinda leaving a project once the interesting part is over because there's other interesting stuff you want to start on. Sometimes it's hard to make oneself finish all the things ;)

Oh yes! It was so nice standing there in front of all the different colours and picking them out as well :) Yay for new beads!

I'm trying to decide which yarn to get for a shawl I want to crochet. It's so difficult, there's so many lovely options...
I've decided I want something in shades of green, but that still leaves quite a lot of different ones.
If you want a look: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
The pattern I'm planning to do is this one. I'm pretty sure I want to go with a lighter green in the middle and a darker green on the edge.

(0) (0)

And my buying thread!

Posted: Jan 26th, '18, 12:52    

jacobgrey

Oh gosh they are all so pretty :mclove: after some consideration I think I like 2 and 4 the best. I'm using some variegated greens in this new project I started, what a coincidence is that? Seems like great minds think alike :qlol:

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Jan 26th, '18, 20:24    

Chrizine

Exactly my problem! :D
I'm tending towards 4 or 6 I think. Maybe I should just take 4 then :)
I think I'll show them to my bf and see what he says and then decide.
That's a really fun coincidence :D Maybe we are just in the mood for spring and some fresh greens ;)

Didn't get to do any sewing yet today, but we did some major grocery shopping, so we won't have to leave the house for a few days :)

(0) (0)

And my buying thread!

Posted: Jan 26th, '18, 21:25    

jacobgrey

Opinion of the majority... hope he doesn't choose something like 1 and throw you off XD

I did a little more sewing this afternoon. On the new project rather than the old one of course XD I'm at that "no time for anything so I will just do what I like" stage of being busy, which I'm aware is really going to make things worse in the long run lol.

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Jan 26th, '18, 21:28    

Chrizine

First I have to actually catch him in a mood where he will look at them and say anything sensible apart from "green!" at all :D

Oh, I know that feel! Too busy to actually bear focusing on anything that should be done seems very familiar... What is the new project you're working on?
Holding my thumbs for you that you'll manage to have a somewhat less busy time soon.

(0) (0)

And my buying thread!

[ 734 posts ]