Sewing  16%  [ 33 ]
Weaving  2%  [ 5 ]
Embroidery  8%  [ 16 ]
Quilting  5%  [ 11 ]
Other (please tell me what so I can include it in the poll!)  18%  [ 37 ]
None  7%  [ 15 ]
Food  25%  [ 53 ]
Total votes : 210
 Post subject: Re: Chrizi's Crafty Corner - come chat!
Posted: Jan 15th, '19, 17:38    

Chrizine

Hugs: 109519
Mood: Elusive Crumpet
I think it's not that uncommon here - I mean, many women do have pierced ears, but if you for example wanted to buy a gift for them you'd not immediately assume they were able to wear earrings if you didn't know. And, from what I've heard, in some places it's common to already pierce the ears of babies? That's rare here, as far as I know (and seems super strange to me). But I don't know any actual statistics about this, it's all just from my personal impressions.

(0) (0)
My personal Quest thread:

And my buying thread!

My crafty hangout thread, where I talk about my sewing and crocheting projects and would love to hear about any kind of projects you do (or just come chat, that's fine too!):
Most urgent wishes currently:

ImageImageImageImageImage
Ehlenia Eyes (Aqua), Eyrion Fan (Claret), Jiniri Hair (Mocha), Lunar Night Banshee Hair (Blue White), Bat Momma Eyes (Ecru)

Check out jacobgrey's awesome interactive Harry Potter Fanfiction thread!

I'm on Flight Rising and Tattered Weave as well- feel free to friend me!

Posted: Jan 15th, '19, 17:46    

jacobgrey

Hugs: 130655
Mood: (◡‿◡)
Piercing babies is done here, but it's considered a sign of being lower class X'D I got mine done when I was 8. I work with jewellery brands sometimes and I always panic last minute because it never occurs to me to check that the models have pierced ears. They always turn out to be fine, however.

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
First fairy 8.4.15; 2nd 7.6.17
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Jan 15th, '19, 17:54    

Chrizine

I'm not actually sure when most people get it done here, now that I think about it. Probably similar to you, as older children? But I'm really not sure. I don't really remember any of my friends having freshly pierced ears at some point, but I do remember that in elementary school most kids didn't have it done yet. But then again, my elementary school was not the most typical probably...

(0) (0)

And my buying thread!

My crafty hangout thread, where I talk about my sewing and crocheting projects and would love to hear about any kind of projects you do (or just come chat, that's fine too!):

Ehlenia Eyes (Aqua), Eyrion Fan (Claret), Jiniri Hair (Mocha), Lunar Night Banshee Hair (Blue White), Bat Momma Eyes (Ecru)

Posted: Jan 16th, '19, 01:37    

Driverscissors

Hugs: 1353
Mood: Sleepy
I would say it depends, but people, especially, using have that one main ear hole pierced.

(0) (0)

Posted: Jan 22nd, '19, 01:48    

Chrizine

I see.

Guys, do any of you know of a good site to find patterns on? I used to buy them mostly on dawanda (which was like, the german etsy, just with a lot better categories and filtering, especially in the diy areas), but that has closed. I know a lot of shops have moved to etsy, but etsy doesn't even seem to have a "patterns" category, much less subcategories for different clothing items, so I find it practically impossible to find anything there.
Is there some other site out there that any of you would recommend?

And yes, I know I have a ton of projects lying around already and really shouldn't be starting more, but I have some ideas for a top I'd like, so... :D

(0) (0)

And my buying thread!

Posted: Jan 22nd, '19, 13:23    

jacobgrey

I am no help here, I usually buy my patterns in person from second hand stores or craft stores.

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Jan 22nd, '19, 16:31    

Chrizine

Mh, I'll have a look at our local craft shops pattern section soon, but it's not really all that big...
I did find one somewhat promising looking pattern online just by googling yesterday though, so maybe I'll go with that and just alter it to what I want... (Not expecting to find exactly what I want anyway, but I need something to start off with)
Maybe I'll even get that as a paper pattern at the local store, since it's one of the big brands. It's this one. Thinking about doing the version with the ruffles, but adding long sleeves that flare our trumpet-style below the elbow. Just need to figure out how to do that, but since the pattern has also the version with just normal long sleeves, I might be able to work off them...
And maybe do the ruffle and the trumpet part of the sleeves in some lace fabric or something...
But anyway, I should continue with that skirt that's lying on my floor first :D

(0) (0)

And my buying thread!

Posted: Jan 22nd, '19, 20:40    

jacobgrey

Ohhh sounds nice! I like the idea of using the lace as well. It will look so pretty.

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Jan 22nd, '19, 21:16    

Chrizine

Thanks :) I think if it works out like I imagine it, it will be really nice :)
I was originally thinking of a different kind of neckline and then just trimming the neckline and the trumpet sleeves with a small bit of lace, but I'm liking the big ruffle idea, too. And I didn't find any patterns with a neckline + bodice shape I liked for that original idea yesterday, so...
I'll decide once I manage to get to the store and browse through what they have, I think.

Really wanting to get that skirt done now so I can start really working on that shirt :D But I have an exam on Thursday, I should really be studying, not sewing...

(0) (0)

And my buying thread!

Posted: Jan 24th, '19, 01:20    

Chrizine

Sorry for the double post, but I want to link this from the front page without it having a bunch of other stuff in...

I've done some progress on the skirt! I cut all the pieces from the fabric (still need to draw and cut the interlacing pieces though) and started assembling!
All the big parts are sewn together now :)
Here's some progress pics:
^ first time sewing darts! :)

I also already sewed the belt piece, but forgot to put it in the picture.

Now I have just a bunch of little pieces for the waistline and the pockets left. Figuring out how each of them belongs on the garment will be the tricky part though :D The instructions are not the most helpful somehow.

Edit: I cut the interfacing and figured out which pieces it should be ironed to and did that as well :) I think I kinda got most of how the waistband pieces are supposed to fit together :)

(0) (0)

And my buying thread!

[ 734 posts ]