Yes  58%  [ 23 ]
No  43%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 40
 Post subject: Remove the Art Gallery Section in Profiles and the FAQ
Posted: Oct 18th, '19, 03:35    

TrickyLA

Hugs: 23074
Mood: Tired
The feature was removed but they still take up space in user profiles, with links leading to dead webpages. If possible having that section either removed or repurposed would be fantastic. I also noticed that the FAQ hasn't been updated to no longer include that feature and figured I should put a reminder here. At least a note about why it was removed would be nice if that section of the FAQ can't be removed.

(0) (0)

Post subject: Re: Remove the Art Gallery Section in Profiles and the FAQ
Posted: Oct 18th, '19, 04:32    

Doe

Hugs: 4497
Mood: tired
I agree, having this section seems to be pointlessly taking up space on profiles if it's non-functional, and it just leaves it looking cluttered.

(1) (0)

Posted: Oct 18th, '19, 08:31    

Illustrator
Firn

Hugs: 213070
Mood: [¬º-°]¬
The Art Gallery was never meant to be removed, but reworked into a Art Contest Gallery. I finished all the graphics for it and sent them to starkad 2 years ago, but he never found the time to implement it and I was told by users that having the Art gallery up with the old layout and not functioning correctly would make the site look bad and I should take it down, which was what we did.

I will ask starkad to take down the art gallery section of the profile, but can't promise he will actually do it anytime soon.... :mcsweat:

(1) (0)

Posted: Oct 18th, '19, 16:37    

TrickyLA

Firn wrote:The Art Gallery was never meant to be removed, but reworked into a Art Contest Gallery. I finished all the graphics for it and sent them to starkad 2 years ago, but he never found the time to implement it and I was told by users that having the Art gallery up with the old layout and not functioning correctly would make the site look bad and I should take it down, which was what we did.

I will ask starkad to take down the art gallery section of the profile, but can't promise he will actually do it anytime soon.... :mcsweat:
If he never has time to do things maybe he should show a new coder who has time for this site how the code works and step down? 2 years to implement a finished aesthetic change is a long time.

(0) (0)

Posted: Oct 18th, '19, 19:52    

Illustrator
Firn

TrickyLA wrote:
Firn wrote:The Art Gallery was never meant to be removed, but reworked into a Art Contest Gallery. I finished all the graphics for it and sent them to starkad 2 years ago, but he never found the time to implement it and I was told by users that having the Art gallery up with the old layout and not functioning correctly would make the site look bad and I should take it down, which was what we did.

If he never has time to do things maybe he should show a new coder who has time for this site how the code works and step down? 2 years to implement a finished aesthetic change is a long time.
I agree! Know any skilled coders willing to work for free?

(0) (0)

Posted: Oct 18th, '19, 20:26    

TrickyLA

Firn wrote:
TrickyLA wrote:

I agree! Know any skilled coders willing to work for free?
Not personally, but you could always make another call for volunteers announcement? I research what I can if I need to code something on my forum or implement changes in my code on tumblr so I'd help if I thought I'd be of any use. :mcheh:

(0) (0)

Posted: Nov 20th, '19, 00:54    

jacobgrey

Hugs: 130756
Mood: (◡‿◡)
Just a thought, but you probably can get skilled coders to work for free. Interns. The job market is such that anyone leaving university now always is begging for an internship to get something on their CV. Even if each one worked for only a couple of months at a time, you would be able to get something coded up in the background which wouldn't require site downtime, then just switch over when it's finished. When I put out calls for interns I get over a hundred applications for each time, in different areas of work throughout my business, so it doesn't seem like there is any shortage of people who will do a
bit of time for free.

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
First fairy 8.4.15; 2nd 7.6.17
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Nov 20th, '19, 11:21    

Illustrator
Firn

It must be different in Germany then or maybe it's the working field. No person who has a degree in programming would ever do an intern for free here. :mcshock:
(also, isn't the point of an intern that you actually learn something? I can hardly tell some random dude over the internet to just stit down in his living room and work alone for a couple of hours for free. That's not how an internetship works or should work)

(3) (0)

Posted: Nov 21st, '19, 17:23    

jacobgrey

Hugs: 130756
Mood: (◡‿◡)
I thought the same, when I was at uni less than 10 years ago I would never have done that. Working for free seems crazy. But these kids coming through now are different. They don't always want to learn something, many of them know what to do already but they require a job on their CV before they can get a real paid job, catch-22 of experience. They just want to do a couple of months to get it done and they will apply for a real job after. That's how the world of work is now if you are coming into it for the first time.
Of course, your intern does not have to be German at all, they can do it remotely. And they ought to learn something indeed, why wouldn't they? Every time trying something in the real world, as opposed to the controlled environment of coursework, will always be a learning experience.

(2) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
First fairy 8.4.15; 2nd 7.6.17
My books ~*~ My magazine

[ 9 posts ]