No  52%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 29
 Post subject: Re: The 2022 Reading Challenge
Posted: Aug 22nd, '22, 08:50    

Akili Li

Hugs: 220670
Mood: Crumbly Crumpet
Trying to catch up with this....

By "DMR" are you sure you don't mean "DRM"?
A.k.a., "Digital Rights Management"?

(0) (0)
I want to buy or trade for these knuffels:
Earth Gen 18, Light Gen 19, Fire Gen 21, Air/Light/Water Gen 22, Light Gen 23, Earth/Light Gen 25, Darkness Gen 26.
Please PM me if you can help!

Posted: Aug 23rd, '22, 18:31    

Amura

Hugs: 60343
Mood: Glad to be back! ^o^
You are completely right, did I write it wrong?
I might, it's always a bit confusing when the acronym is in English because the order of the words is different.

So nice to see you again, btw, Li Li :qh:

(0) (0)
G U I D E - F O R - N E W - M E M B E R S

. A v a t a r . I t e m . G u i d e .
A work on progress, but already quite a bunch of sets to check!

Posted: Aug 23rd, '22, 22:25    

Rubie

Hugs: 134573
Googling DRM pulled up the right result this time.

I had to explain to mom about ebooks borrowed from the library and how they only have so many digital copies. She couldn't figure out why I couldn't just borrow the ebook right away because it's just "on the internet" lmao. I had to explain it like how a program she uses has so many licenses for users.

(0) (0)
Buying Lots of Stuff!

Come chat with me?

Posted: Sep 17th, '22, 15:41    

Sanssouci

Hugs: 77523
I finally finished The Last Wizard by Tanya Huff. I didn't like it at all. It was book #2 of 2. I thought the first one was just ok, just barely good enough for me to read the second. I thought the second was also just ok while I was reading it. I thought the ending would be very predictable but still happy and satisfying and would maybe make it worth it. But the author went a different way, and the ending ended up feeling really rushed and vague to me. So now I really regret wasting time on those two books.

(0) (0)

Posted: Sep 19th, '22, 15:17    

Rubie

Not sure if I said this, but I had started and finished House of Sky and Breath by Sarah J Maas. It was more steamier than the first book. It got to the point where I was skipping those parts of the book because I really liked the plot, not the sex scenes. I literally complained out loud whenever, yet again, another sex scene happened because it was every other chapter for a bit there.
And with that I hit my small goal of 6 books read for this year. Wasn't actually expecting to hit it this early on in the year since I picked 6 for one book every two months. Let's see how many more I will read for the year.

I am now reading Daughter of the Moon Goddess by Sue Lynn Tan. It's in first person, but I actually really love it because she does such a good job writing the character. I have found myself actually feeling what the character feels as I am reading it.

(0) (0)
Buying Lots of Stuff!

Come chat with me?

Posted: Sep 19th, '22, 22:25    

Amura

I think I've already completed this challenge? Not sure, I don't know where I have written my challenge, but I'm quite sure I've read books of the categories I intended to read - and that's good enough for me.

For example I've finally read the first of the Harry Potter series; which I would count as a book that was in my to-read list for way too long.
Twenty years ago I said I would read it when the hype died away, and I think this is a good moment to be true to my word :mccool:

In the same spirit I have just started reading Lord of the Flies.

(0) (0)

Posted: Sep 19th, '22, 22:43    

Rubie

I should try categories next year so I can read more than one not-fantasy book. I tried to read Slaves for Peanuts because I saw it was available to borrow as an ebook from my library. I think I got 10 pages into before I had to stop. It's a non-fiction and thought it would be an interesting read AND it wouldn't be a book assigned by a teacher (since that's the only other times I've read a non-fiction) and I thought I would like it more since I picked it out myself.

Ooh. I remember reading Lord of the Flies in high school. I think my teacher liked me because I actually asked questions about the book and parts I didn't understand when no one else ever did lol. I remember getting death glares from some people because clearly no one else had read the assigned reading one day and she ended up quizzing us looool

(0) (0)
Buying Lots of Stuff!

Come chat with me?

Posted: Sep 20th, '22, 08:20    

Amura

Categories worked really well for me this year.
I mean, I do have a read-number-of-books challenge on GoodReads, so it made sense making something different here.
And I think it's more purposeful. It's not just an empty number, it forces me to make a less emotional choice of book every once in a while.

(0) (0)

Posted: Sep 20th, '22, 15:06    

Rubie

Maybe I'll do that next year, but do it with genres. The past few years it was me trying to make myself read books I keep buying and never reading until years later.

(0) (0)
Buying Lots of Stuff!

Come chat with me?

Posted: Sep 26th, '22, 01:47    

Sanssouci

Hugs: 77523
I started reading The Sapphire Widow by Dinah Jefferies. I pulled a muscle in my back, so I have been taking it easy, so I have been reading more the past few days.

(0) (0)

[ 380 posts ]