Post subject: Re: Zenith
Posted: Mar 17th, '18, 11:56    

Lianna

Hugs: 9346
Mood: ψ(`∇´)ψ
Let's see...
75 was the lowest passing grade in elementary and middle school
65 was the lowest in high school
Seniors had perks if their average was 80+ (mine never was lol), but since a full this of my grade averaged 90+, we caused that to be bumped to 85+ lol
Senior perks were stuff like automatic passes, ability to go to the deli during lunch, small things like that
So stuff I never would've used anyway
Of course the senior pass wasn't supposed to carry anyone else but my freshman year a senior took me along with hers to pick up stuff for the class (still within the school), so that prolly changed between those years lol

(0) (0)
Yes I am a mule
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Posted: Mar 17th, '18, 14:22    

Hotaruchan

Hugs: 9254
Mood: Lurking
Primary school basicly had a system were you either passed or not. Well, it was a bit more nuanced. You could also fail miserably or get a 'very good pass'. Though, I am paraphrasing.
You could pass high school by getting 60% or higher for everything. Or you were allowed to have one course less than that? Something like that. Oh, and Dutch, English and math had to be at least 50%. So I guess we were allowed to have one course below 60%...
Wait, I think it was something like a grade started to count as more 'fails' if your grade went further below 60% and we were allowed to have a certain amounts of 'fails'. Like 2 or something.

Those are some weird senior perks... The only thing we could get was a cum laude-like distinction on our final high school degree... What kind of automatic passes, though?
It's actually pretty usual for high school students here to visit a grocery store that's close to the school during the break. I never did though. It was quite funny to just see this large group of students going to the store at the start of the break and coming back at the end. A friend and I actually started talking about the 'great daily student migration' :qlol: .

(0) (0)
Why change the past,
when you can own this day?
ImageImage

Posted: Mar 17th, '18, 20:53    

Lianna

Basically unless you were between classes, you had to have a written pass from a teacher, or something held that's usually obnoxious, and they'd only allow a few at a time
With a senior pass, you don't need that. Some teachers still had a senior pass holder ask to go wherever, but most you could tell them "hey I'm going to x I have senior pass" and they'd be cool with it
Most often used in study hall, or if you had to take a note somewhere or some such
Gym didn't have them, but gym was just taking up attendance to the nurse's office cuz no computer to input it down at the gym

(0) (0)
Yes I am a mule
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Posted: Mar 18th, '18, 11:02    

Hotaruchan

Ah, well, we were allowed to walk in the hallways during class. Though if we made too much noise we would have to face an angry teacher... But in the later years of highschool we had these hours in between classes with no class. Basicly a 'free hour', which were necessary to be able to fit everyone's lessons in the planner. Though a lot of people used those hours to do homework. But it would have been annoying if we wouldn't be allowed to walk in the hallways during those times...

I guess, btw, that having high grades for a course probably made it easier if you wanted to work for another course or something, depending on the teacher. But we had teachers who were okay with someone working on something else as long as they did well enough for their course...
In the later years we had these projects we had to work on in our own time. And some teachers would allow you to work on it during their class. But if you asked if you could work on it during the class while having low grades, the teacher might say no.

(0) (0)
Why change the past,
ImageImage

Posted: Mar 18th, '18, 13:51    

Lianna

We had a problem with kids going out if class and just skipping the entire class, so it was an attempt to curb that
Keep in mind that we had this system even when I was in middle school, and the entire middle/high school had it, so it was likely caused by a group messing it up for everyone
Senior pass, those with high enough grades are responsible enough to not be doing that crap so they have a bit more leeway

Like the one year on the school bus a handful of troublemakers pissed the driver off enough that we got assigned seats
All of us
Younger kids and troublemakers up front, older kids who behaved in back
We did rearrange/shuffle a little cuz then no seat would be empty (plus one senior was fat enough to fill a seat by himself, not exaggerating), and no one would be cramped
Bus driver did catch on, but when we pointed out why, she was okay with it. All because we behaved

(0) (0)
Yes I am a mule
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Posted: Mar 18th, '18, 18:22    

Hotaruchan

But wouldn't people who skip class just leave in between classes?
If someone skipped a class at my high school and a teacher actually made a note of it (which didn't always happen), the student would get in trouble with the department-guide-person. The person who is kind of in charge of one 'department' of the school.
I actually got a phone call when I missed a class. But I had a valid reason. No idea if they always called. Or whether they were just wondering why one of the students who never skipped and who was always on time, suddenly missed one of her classes :mcheh:

One group messing it up for everything is sadly the reason why we can't have nice things on too many occasions...

I guess I can kinda understand why she would assign seats if some of the children were messing up her bus. Though it would probably have been enough to just give assigned seats to the troublemakers... Well, at least she was kind enough to allow the switch.
Some people would probably be surprised with how much people can get away with if they normally behave :mcsmirk:

(0) (0)
Why change the past,
ImageImage

Posted: Mar 18th, '18, 19:12    

Lianna

If we were in, say, a huge city, maybe
This is a small countryside school where all twelve grades are close together, so there's plenty of eyes to see someone outside when they shouldn't be outside
So if you get dragged to school, hanging out in the bathroom is the best you can do
For us, skipping is just an unexcused absence. Stuff like a doctor's appointment would be an excused absence
I don't think it becomes a problem unless a kid is known to be truant, and consistently

Like if I disappeared for a week, they'd worry
I have done that, but the teachers got advance warning "hey from here to here I'm gonna be at Disney World, what's the homework gonna be like" and that's fine cuz they know that it's not me being weird all of a sudden

Nah, cuz making everyone have assigned seats including them made the entire bus of kids pissed off at them, and that was the point
Hilariously, the next year many of us went on autopilot and went to our assigned seats, though they'd only been until the end of the previous school year lol

Yeah, getting away with stuff by being good helped me before
7th grade history. I have several books from the Dear America series (though the two spin-offs I lack most of the books, and back then I only knew of the My Name is America spin-off). Let my teach borrow them as they became relevant. Early in the year she read to the class parts of the books, but after a point she couldn't do that because she had to give us a lot of info and she didn't have time anymore
That, and I did well in class
We're working on our final project
She tells us that there are two criteria to be exempt from the final exam:
1. Have at least a 95 in that class
2. Turn in the final project
I had the first, history is a subject I like, so high grades in history was nothing new to me
The project? Had it with the rest of my school stuff, finished and ready to go
Forgot it
I wasn't the only one who did that, so she told the entire class that those of us who had forgotten it now had to take the test (which wasn't for another 2-3 days)
She pulled me aside later and told me that I was still exempt
Looking back, I'm pretty sure it's due to the books I let her borrow. I don't think she had even known that they existed until I let her borrow mine

(0) (0)
Yes I am a mule
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Posted: Mar 18th, '18, 19:39    

Hotaruchan

Yeah, that would make skipping class more difficult indeed.

We also had unexcused and excused absence. It was just that my absence was noted as unexcused even though it should have been excused. I guess it would have been better to formulate it like that.
We weren't allowed to skip weeks for things like a trip :mcshock: Like not at all. Due to Compulsory Education. Our parents could be fined for things like that. Sometimes it was allowed if you had an extremely good reason. Things like funerals and probably weddings were reasons to skip one day. And I did know someone in my high school who was allowed to go on a vacation outside of the regular vacations. But her parents own a farm so they can't go on vacation during the normal vacation periods.

I would probably sit on the same seat in a bus everyday regardless... Whenever I take a bus I do tend to sit at roughly the same spot...
It's actually quite funny now with one of our classes. We never had any assigned seats, but everyone always sits at exactly the same spot.

Haha, that's awesome! But you probably had to keep it sort of quit for the rest of the class? Because otherwise I can imagen that people would wonder why you were exempt.

Those books sound interesting! I think I heard of them before, but I had to look up what they were :mcheh: It sounds like a really nice way to learn history.

(0) (0)
Why change the past,
ImageImage

Posted: Mar 19th, '18, 00:42    

Lianna

Yeah, if a kid has bad attendance another long skip will be looked into
I wasn't a kid with bad attendance, so between that and that I asked about projects ahead of time, well, I was fine
Dunno about weddings, but funerals were definitely excused

Yeah, I've noticed that in general
Kids gripe about assigned seats but if given the chance will sit in the same spot. One of my classes the teacher allowed us to pick our seats at the beginning of the year, and that would be our assigned seat for her class
She didn't expect anyone to pick the one waaaaay in back, all by itself
I did lol
She went with it, except for one time the assistant principal was supervising. Then she had me sit up with the rest of the class for that day

It was, oh, the last week or two of school, and the test took two or three days. She did a blanket statement, didn't name specifically, so I don't think any noticed

They are, as they follow everyday kids
Dear America is all girls, from about 10-15, with a few exceptions
My Name is America follows boys, I think from 12-18
My America seems to be even younger, both boys and girls, and comes in three books. The one I have, I only have the first two, and the character is nine
Most are during major events or tragedies, but some aren't
For the most part, the boy and girl versions of each other don't interact, like they're entirely separate
Same for those that are close together in time and location
I can think of one exception, and that's the Vietnam War two. Brother and sister, both got a journal for Christmas. I don't have his book though, so I wasn't able to cross-reference them
Someday...

(0) (0)
Yes I am a mule
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Posted: Mar 19th, '18, 19:12    

Madissskin

Hugs: 9756
Mood: Clockwork
I went through strict strict catholic school. The attendance policy is a big factor on why I went to community college. Every day you missed you lost 1% in about half of the classes. My senior year I had really bad anxiety and agoraphobia. I missed like 27 days and being a B-C student already it killed my grades and i graduated by the skin of my teeth

(0) (0)
I will love you if I never see you again, and I will love you if I never see you again, and I will love you if I see you every Tuesday. I will love you as the starfish loves a coral reef and as kudzu loves trees, even if the oceans turn to sawdust and the trees fall in the forest without anyone around to hear them. I will love you as the pesto loves the fettuccini and ats the horseradish loves the miyagi, and the pepperoni loves the pizza.

[ 159 posts ]