Amethyst  14%  [ 20 ]
And Pearl  7%  [ 10 ]
AND STEVEN!!  33%  [ 46 ]
Total votes : 141
 Post subject: Re: Steven Universe
Posted: Nov 7th, '15, 00:08    

Pwale

Hugs: 16590
KawaiiCyb0rG wrote:oooo dis show. I was making fun of my boyfriend for watching it because at the time I didn't like the art style and I just thought it looked silly. Also, I associated the show with the fanbase... which isn't the best thing ever. In fact it's really bad most of the time. But of course, he made me watch it and after a few episodes I was hooked D;. I came to love the art style and the animation and aaa the pretty colors. And I appreciate the morals the show teaches, it makes me feel a little bit better for today's youth lol. Oh right, my favorite character is Peridot. I love crazy aliens who don't understand humans and how humans work. She also reminds me of Invader Zim and I love that show. :qh: :qh: :qh:
I love Peridot!

And I agree that it's good for the kids. I dressed up as Rose Quartz for Halloween and it was so rewarding to watch all the little girls freak out when they saw me. Steven Universe has such better role models than the shows we had when I was a kid.

(0) (0)
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Faeries: 5

Posted: Nov 7th, '15, 13:01    

KawaiiCyb0rG

Hugs: 8019
Oh, I love Rose Quartz! I bet you looked gorgeous :mccute: I swear the show has made me cry at least five times lol. I'm a sucker for sad stuff. I said that my favorite character is Peridot but in actuality I can't choose a favorite :mcsweat: . I really love Garnet and her personality (and her voice :mclove: ). I also love Pearl and Amethyst and Steven and Connie and Lapis and aaaa :qh: dis show is gud

(0) (0)

Posted: Nov 7th, '15, 19:22    

Pwale

KawaiiCyb0rG wrote:Oh, I love Rose Quartz! I bet you looked gorgeous :mccute: I swear the show has made me cry at least five times lol. I'm a sucker for sad stuff. I said that my favorite character is Peridot but in actuality I can't choose a favorite :mcsweat: . I really love Garnet and her personality (and her voice :mclove: ). I also love Pearl and Amethyst and Steven and Connie and Lapis and aaaa :qh: dis show is gud
And Stevonnie!

(0) (0)
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Posted: Nov 8th, '15, 08:04    

light_sucks

Hugs: 160738
Mood: vaguely alive
Pwale wrote: Well...
Spoiler
Rose Quartz decided to have Steven because she wanted him to be the link that would bridge the Human world and the Gem world. And she didn't exactly die, she gave up her physical form and became a part of him. The show has been very careful to make that distinction. She leaves him a video tape in which she tells him-

"Isn't it remarkable Steven? This world is full of so many possibilities. Each living thing has a completely unique experience, the sights they see, the sounds they hear. The lives they live are so complicated and so simple. I can't wait for you to join them.
Steven. We can't both exist. I'm going to become half of you. And I need you to know that every moment you love being yourself, that's me! Loving you and loving being you. Because you're going to be something extraordinary. You're going to be a human being."

Spoiler
I still think that's an incredibly selfish reason to have a child.

And if she's not physically there it's the same as being dead. My sister's dead. Just because her daughter share's half of her DNA doesn't mean she's alive.

(0) (0)
They/Them pronouns, please.

Call me Moss.

Posted: Nov 8th, '15, 19:06    

Pwale

light_sucks wrote:
Pwale wrote: Well...
Spoiler
Rose Quartz decided to have Steven because she wanted him to be the link that would bridge the Human world and the Gem world. And she didn't exactly die, she gave up her physical form and became a part of him. The show has been very careful to make that distinction. She leaves him a video tape in which she tells him-

"Isn't it remarkable Steven? This world is full of so many possibilities. Each living thing has a completely unique experience, the sights they see, the sounds they hear. The lives they live are so complicated and so simple. I can't wait for you to join them.
Steven. We can't both exist. I'm going to become half of you. And I need you to know that every moment you love being yourself, that's me! Loving you and loving being you. Because you're going to be something extraordinary. You're going to be a human being."

Spoiler
I still think that's an incredibly selfish reason to have a child.

And if she's not physically there it's the same as being dead. My sister's dead. Just because her daughter share's half of her DNA doesn't mean she's alive.
Spoiler
I'm so sorry about your sister.
Let me explain my interpretation of the character directly, instead of just illustrating my opinion. I meant to explain that the show has gone out of it's way to suggest that Rose is still aware to a certain extent and has even gone so far as to occasionally foreshadow her return--though I can't say if that's something they're gonna follow through with or not. There have been times when it seems as if she is actually present even if not visible. And even though she cannot be with Steven in the traditional sense, there appear to be ways she can communicate with him. (The Rose Quartz gem which sometimes glows in order to inform Steven of things he wasn't already aware, the floating whale which speaks with Rose's voice, Lion, etc.)

I do know that Rose Quartz was aware of an imminent danger to the world--a danger that only someone who was half-Gem and half-human could defeat (could be the Cluster, but personally I think it's the Diamond Authority). While Rose Quartz could definitely be selfish, I believe giving up her physical form to create Steven was an act of ultimate love and devotion. Maybe she wasn't being the best mother, but she was always the protector of the Earth before all else. She placed the Earth before her home world, before her friends, before her family, before herself. She gave up everything to defend it. I think it would have been way worse if she forced any of the other gems to give up their physical forms in order to give birth.

Basically, I don't think she's dead. But sometimes, for a ton of different reasons, Moms can't be with their kids. Since Steven Universe is a show all about providing representation for kids who are usually ignored by mainstream cartoons, it makes sense to represent that reality. I know I appreciate it. My mother was very sick when I was growing up and couldn't always be there. I knew she still loved me but it was painful to watch tv and movies and always see absent mothers depicted as unloving. I see Rose Quartz as a character who illustrates how difficult the adult world can be and we don't understand everything about her motivations because the show is seen through Steven's eyes and he's still a child. As he grows and matures so too will our understanding of Rose's choice.

(0) (0)
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Posted: Nov 8th, '15, 19:23    

Pwale

Has anyone else read the manga Tokyo Crazy Paradise?

Cause Lion really reminds me of Shiva's cat--the one that was some kind of weird Wakasa cat clone thing.

(0) (0)
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Posted: Nov 29th, '15, 09:38    

ashabellanar

Hugs: 44333
Mood: Boondocks
Pwale wrote:
Hamda wrote:is that the show released on youtube? why is it so popular?
No, it's a show on Cartoon Network. You might be thinking of Bee and Puppycat, which shares some staff members I think?

And Steven Universe is so popular because it's AWESOME!

No, but seriously...there are a lot of things that make Steven Universe AWESOME. Like the breathtaking background art, the strong well-thought-out plot lines, the pitch perfect voice acting.

The fact that not only is it created by the first credited female creator in Cartoon Network history, but her actual name is Rebecca Sugar. Her last name is SUGAR. You don't get more adorable than that.

It was also heavily inspired by anime like Revolutionary Girl Utena and, like Avatar the Last Airbender, takes the best that anime has to offer while still keeping the best of western-style animation.

And one other thing...the central cast is a non-traditional family with three moms, all of whom are technically agendered but present as female. One of the characters is the literal embodiment of a healthy committed queer relationship and if that wasn't enough she's also a woman of color! Who is the leader! Think she's the token minority? Think again! The characters on this show come in every color and creed and each and every one of them is treated with decency and respect by the writers! It's as if they think someone being queer or a different ethnicity doesn't have to be the totality of their story! As if they thought little kids might benefit from seeing someone on tv who looks like them being treated like an equal and having adventures!

Clearly I am very passionate about this show, and I could go on. But I think should stop, because I am getting way too pumped up about this.
I watched a small amount and didn't really get into it but this has sold me to give it another try. :mccute:

(0) (0)

Posted: Nov 29th, '15, 17:42    

Pwale

ashabellanar wrote:
Pwale wrote:
Hamda wrote:is that the show released on youtube? why is it so popular?
No, it's a show on Cartoon Network. You might be thinking of Bee and Puppycat, which shares some staff members I think?

And Steven Universe is so popular because it's AWESOME!

No, but seriously...there are a lot of things that make Steven Universe AWESOME. Like the breathtaking background art, the strong well-thought-out plot lines, the pitch perfect voice acting.

The fact that not only is it created by the first credited female creator in Cartoon Network history, but her actual name is Rebecca Sugar. Her last name is SUGAR. You don't get more adorable than that.

It was also heavily inspired by anime like Revolutionary Girl Utena and, like Avatar the Last Airbender, takes the best that anime has to offer while still keeping the best of western-style animation.

And one other thing...the central cast is a non-traditional family with three moms, all of whom are technically agendered but present as female. One of the characters is the literal embodiment of a healthy committed queer relationship and if that wasn't enough she's also a woman of color! Who is the leader! Think she's the token minority? Think again! The characters on this show come in every color and creed and each and every one of them is treated with decency and respect by the writers! It's as if they think someone being queer or a different ethnicity doesn't have to be the totality of their story! As if they thought little kids might benefit from seeing someone on tv who looks like them being treated like an equal and having adventures!

Clearly I am very passionate about this show, and I could go on. But I think should stop, because I am getting way too pumped up about this.
I watched a small amount and didn't really get into it but this has sold me to give it another try. :mccute:
Yay! :qh:

(0) (0)
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Posted: Dec 1st, '15, 20:03    

Pwale

I am slowly but steadily convincing everyone in my family to watch this show. Mwa-ha-ha!

(0) (0)
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Posted: Dec 2nd, '15, 21:26    

Pwale

A selfie from my Rose Quartz cosplay!

(1) (0)
ImageImageImage
ImageImage