Avatar Shopping Community Knuffel Quests Donate My Account Help

Jump to:

[ 133 posts ] 
 Post subject: Re: Casual conversation
Posted: Mar 22nd, '22, 23:30    

Amura

Hugs: 66661
Mood: Glad to be back! ^o^
You said Knockermen and for some reason I was thinking of Terry Pratchett books ^^;

So people whose job was waking others up? Yep, we could do that.
I know I could now! :mcgrin:

(0) (0)
G U I D E - F O R - N E W - M E M B E R S

. A v a t a r . I t e m . G u i d e .
A work on progress, but already quite a bunch of sets to check!

Posted: Mar 22nd, '22, 23:43    

Akili Li

Hugs: 229265
Mood: contemplative
Hm.

Okay I need help drawing the connection.

Was there a mention of Knockermen in the Terry Pratchett books? Or did they use it in a different fashion?

(0) (0)
I want to buy or trade for these knuffels:
Earth Gen 18, Light Gen 19, Fire Gen 21, Air/Light/Water Gen 22, Light Gen 23, Earth/Light Gen 25, Darkness Gen 26.
Please PM me if you can help!

Posted: Mar 23rd, '22, 16:32    

Amura

Completely unrelated.
I don't remember it very well (awful memory of mine) but I think those were some dwarfs which made some specially dangerous work or something along those lines.

(0) (0)

Posted: Mar 25th, '22, 16:55    

Akili Li

Oh yeah! I remember now! Cheery's brother was a Knockerman, right? They wore a bunch of leather protective clothing and went ahead into dangerous mining tunnels to clear out the pockets of bad air, or something....

*fuzzy memory*

Well, guess it's time to revisit some books and refresh this.

(0) (0)
Earth Gen 18, Light Gen 19, Fire Gen 21, Air/Light/Water Gen 22, Light Gen 23, Earth/Light Gen 25, Darkness Gen 26.

Posted: Mar 25th, '22, 22:39    

Amura

Last year or the one before that I started re-reading Discworld, but then I stopped - I don't remember why, really.

I've read a bunch of books of that series, but I know I haven't read them all, probably about a half or so. My problem is that I don't remember which ones I did and which ones I did not, and even less whether I liked them or not so much.
So I thought that by re-reading them in a proper order I would kinda fill that gap, and since now I use GoodReads I could keep track of the ones I liked better.
But I only read the first 14 in that fashion.
I suppose I could start again from there.

(0) (0)

Posted: Mar 25th, '22, 23:28    

Akili Li

I find it pretty hard to stick with a single series for too many books in a row; usually I get tired of it, if I do so much of a single author.
So I'm impressed you did 14 like that!

I find it more enjoyable to intersperse one series with a few others, alternating books and authors and genres.

(There are a few authors whose writing styles are similar enough I sometimes have trouble keeping track of which one is which. The Nightside series and the Dresden series were two I discovered at the same time and I still mix up characters and plots from them.)

(0) (0)

Posted: Mar 26th, '22, 10:24    

Amura

Oh, well, I did not read them all on a row. I just read them in order.
I would read one of these, and then other kind of books, and then return to Discworld.
So, for example, I read the last Discworld (which was #18, I suppose I made a typo last day) on April 2021 and the previous one on November 2020. That's almost half a year between them.

I usually like to have some variation of style, sometimes I feel like grabbing a serious book (maybe an essay, something on education, etc.), sometimes something lighter (short stories, humorous novels, etc.) and sometimes I want a good quality fiction (even if it's not so light).

And now I'm thinking next time I want something light I might go for Discworld and follow the series once again.

(0) (0)

Posted: Mar 26th, '22, 14:29    

Akili Li

That makes a lot of sense!
I was wondering how you managed to keep from feeling like there was a surfeit of one type, and that's the answer, ha ha ha ha

Some of the books I can see a clear order for, and know that oh, this book before that one, but some of the Discworld ones confuse me.

Like the "Small Gods" book. I really have no idea where that falls in relation to, say, "The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents".

(0) (0)

Posted: Mar 26th, '22, 18:25    

Amura

And after a whole year forgetting about them I may now continue :D

The order I follow is chronographical, just because it's an easily avaliable order.
But it's one of those series in which it does not matter at all.
I never really cared, until I realized I had no idea which ones I had read and which ones not. (But a selected few beloved ones.)

For example, those two books you mention I would say they are completely unrelated - other than the fact that they belong in the same fictional world.

For that kind of doubts I usually check the series on GoodReads:
https://www.goodreads.com/series/40650-discworld
As you can see, all the books are listed there in order, but also you can check some "subseries" which are actually books with the same main character(s).

(0) (0)

Posted: Mar 29th, '22, 18:56    

Akili Li

I used to strictly follow chronographical but then I found an author who I really like (Lois McMaster Bujold) and since she is an author who emphatically does not see why she ought to be locked into writing in chronological order for a universe she made up....
I've started paying more attention to internal-to-the-series chronological order.

Of course, since she's still putting books out, that isn't always strictly the case, but....

She's good enough that I often reread the series up to her latest book in anticipation of its publication, and then continue the series after it comes out.

I feel like every time I reread her works, I pick up on more nuance and gain more insight and so she's one of the few that I can binge-read like that.

But for Terry Pratchett -I agree, it's hard to care which of those two books to read first because they don't really impact your enjoyment of the other at all.
It's why I really don't have a notion of what goes where in his oeuvre.

GoodReads does keep popping up in book conversations, doesn't it? I really ought to go make another (new) account and give it a better trial...
Is there any "beginner's guide to Goodreads" that you know of?

(0) (0)

[ 133 posts ]