Yes  43%  [ 19 ]
No  57%  [ 25 ]
Total votes : 44
 Post subject: Re: The 2019 Reading Challenge
Posted: Oct 18th, '19, 15:16    

jacobgrey

Hugs: 133682
Mood: (◡‿◡)
It sounds like SO much fun. The registration for next year is not yet open since it is still open for this year, but I have bookmarked it so I can apply as soon as possible.

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
First fairy 8.4.15; 2nd 7.6.17
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Oct 18th, '19, 15:53    

AliceON

Hugs: 103401
you should definitely go there if you can!

(0) (0)

Posted: Oct 19th, '19, 03:09    

SpaceSnake

Hugs: 4703
Mood: Tired - the depressed kind
I'm always reading fanfiction, meanwhile my dresser is piled with unread books. :/

I just found this and the years already almost over so I guess my goal is... one book a month, which makes three books this year. Normally I would consider comics cheating but those are piling up too, so I might just end up reading three comics this year lol

(0) (0)

Posted: Oct 19th, '19, 03:22    

Sanssouci

Hugs: 79117
Nothing wrong with that! How much I read from one year to the next varies a lot, and what I read from one year to the next varies a lot too. Sometimes I read lots of thick adult books, other times I read lots of teen manga!

(0) (0)

Posted: Oct 19th, '19, 10:01    

LittleJulez

Hugs: 192898
Mood: happy :)
Welcome, SpaceSnake! Comics count, for sure ;) You make count whatever you want :)

& Alice, yea what a pity we missed each other! Which halls do you want to see, or which publishers etc.?
I highlighted a few presentations and interviews but did not go there in the end because I was so busy looking at the books and publishers only.

jacob, very good, that you already bookmarked it! Don't miss it ^.^

(0) (0)

Posted: Oct 20th, '19, 11:54    

jacobgrey

Hugs: 133682
Mood: (◡‿◡)
I just finished The Passengers by John Marrs. Really good storyline. Not so well written but I almost didn't mind because it was so thrilling.

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
First fairy 8.4.15; 2nd 7.6.17
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Oct 20th, '19, 18:04    

AliceON

@SpaceSnake: welcome! it's never too late to join and there's no such thing as "doesn't count" as long as you count it!

@Julez: here's a rant about how the fair went for me :D

Spoiler
I went to a talk about freedom of speech and censorship and self-censorship in the western world first, and it was a huge disappointment, just generic blah-blah about how anyone saying anything outside the "liberal" canvas is terribly abused. I almost wished there'd be questions from the audience. even though I probably wouldn't dare voice mine

then I had half an hour before a discussion about literary criticism and went to a hall with german publishers and it was so crowded I couldn't really get anywhere. by the time of the discussion I thought I didn't want to get back to the norway hall and went to a tour about comics instead, it was in a closer hall. but turned out it was a real walking tour and I was more in a mood to sit down so I went to another stand to listen to a presentation on bookblogs/bookstagrams/booktubes but instead there was a talk about someone's book. and a few other people in the audience were confused as well, probably a mistake in the program online. but it was too late to get back to the discussion about literary criticism, it was just a half an hout talk, so I didn't get to fulfill eithe of my plant for that time slot

and I had some time till the cosplay competition so I decided to eat and come to the stage early to grab a seat. but there were very few seats for a 3-hour contest and I wanted neither to fight for them nor to stand, especially since in one and half an hour a discussion about female authors was starting. I really like the title: "artists, fighters, cosmopolites: women writing the 21st century". so I thought I'd try my luck in the hall with german publishers again, this time slower. I mainly wanted to get to drachenmond and sternensand publishers because they have the best book covers and you never find them in stores, I thought I could take pictures for my instagram.

buuuuut. the drachenmond stand wasn't an open kind of stand as I expected, they'd hand you the books over the counters. and there was a signing at the moment. I was to cowardly to disturb.

and the sternensand was indeed an open stand but there were SO many people there. in short I didn't get any pictures made there either. not that I fought against the crowd, I just opted out of the idea altogether

still had time left so I went to the international publishers' section, talked to an israeli self-published author for a while. international publishers stands are empty for the most part. even the harper collins stand, the hugest and most central in the english-language hall only had a few visitors. maybe the asian ones aren't as emply because of cosplay and manga but the european were. didn't got to those from eastern/central/southern europe or to african and arab countries because my legs were sore by the time XD

went outside for the air. filmed some cosplayers. felt how tired I was. and just decided to leave home. and did so.

now I regret not going to the talks about women in literature and literary criticism. somehow a few initial misfortunes discouraged me so much that I simply missed the best stuff, actually sabotaged it. I'd spent two days building my own program of cool talks and presentations I wanted to attend.

for the next time I'll try to plan better according to the halls. it's a challenge because the things that are interesting to me tend to happen at the opposite sides of the fair, but what I can do is pay more attention to time slots where nothing is happening, and don't rush to publishers across the whole fair if I only have half an hour, but rather spend this time somewhere closer to the next destination, maybe outside. and instead go to farther stands when I have more time. also plan where I can sit. shouldn't be a problem with discussions happening often. but if I have an hour or two of no specific events, it's good to know where to rest.

(0) (0)

Posted: Oct 21st, '19, 09:24    

LittleJulez

Alice, I am sorry to hear you had such a hard time at the book fair!
I also made my own schedule in the train on the way to the fair, but I realized pretty soon that I won't be able to attend the talks i wanted to because of the same reasons you've mentioned - because sometimes they are not in the hall I was in, therefore I wouldn't wanna walk all the way. I imagine it must have been even worse with all the people...
I agree, the international stands were all less crowded, but this way I could talk to the people in Russian and Swedish :P
But I wish I had discovered the really internation hall (5 it was I think?) earlier on, I would have loved to buy books in their original languages.

(0) (0)

Posted: Oct 21st, '19, 20:56    

AliceON

4.0 was for asian publishers, 6.0-6.2 were for english-speaking internation publishers + india, israel, and south africa, and 5.0 and 5.1 for other international publishers.

yea, mistakes were made and I'll try to avoid them next time
...which could be the leipzig book fair in march. we'll see

(0) (0)

Posted: Oct 22nd, '19, 08:14    

LittleJulez

I walked through 5.0 (or 5.1?) after 6.30, everybody was celebrating, I just had to wait for my bus back home so I though I could also spend the time there. I've spend all of my time in 4.0, 4.1, 3.0 and 3.1 :mcheh:

Same xD
Oh cool! Have you been there before?

(0) (0)

[ 462 posts ]