Nay.  8%  [ 18 ]
Indifferent~  46%  [ 104 ]
Total votes : 225
 Post subject: Re: Candy Caravan Chat
Posted: Feb 13th, '20, 14:00    

memoriam

Hugs: 222184
Mood: Mood.
Haha, I wanted to be a princess, rotfl. thena singer until my shyness kicked me in the face. Then I wanted to be a writer. Then I got older, decided to choose something more realistic and wanted to be a literary translator. I am none of these XD I'm writing but not a published writer yet and not gonna be in a long while.

I'd hug some skin markings :mclaugh:

(0) (0)
In need of materials? Go to ~Memoriam's~
Free avatar/room items & knuffels!
Make the ⁂*ℭonfetti ℜain*⁂ with me!

Dec 21st/22nd 2016, R.I.P. Tila. We'll miss you, you cuddly little stinker <3
Dec 7th 2019, R.I.P. Candy. I'm sorry, my sweet little rumball...
Jan 8th 2020, R.I.P. Cotton. Farewell my golden adventurer </3
May 15th 2021, R.I.P. Kreska. I love you, angel...
Feb 3rd 2022, R.I.P. Kropka. Goodbye, my *starshine*
Nov 27th 2022, R.I.P. Strzałka. You will be missed, lazy ball.
Jan 5th 2023, R.I.P. Iskra. Spark until the end.
Jan 26th 2024, R.I.P. Mocha. You can fool around now, baby <3
Feb 22nd 2024, R.I.P. Latte. Now you are truly a free spirit...

Posted: Feb 13th, '20, 14:09    

jacobgrey

Hugs: 133701
Mood: (◡‿◡)
@Kuuki small internet articles is how I started out, so you never know :D

@mem I was meaning to ask you about this, it came to my mind but then I forgot again. Which languages do you translate from/to~? I know you've said before but I didn't remember.

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
First fairy 8.4.15; 2nd 7.6.17
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Feb 13th, '20, 15:22    

memoriam

Polish to English an vice versa. Not too much, that's why I can't really be a translator, they have crazy expectations of "the more languages the better" and some translation experience (which I have but in documentation not literature). I'm slowly learning Spanish but it's not nearly enough for becoming a translator, not to mention literary translator :) With just English there's too much competition from other, more experienced translators anyways. I'd have to learn at least one more European language to try.
I'm still eyeing that literary translation course in April... :mcheh:

(0) (0)

Posted: Feb 13th, '20, 16:06    

Rubie

Hugs: 142066
I always wished I pursued foreign languages as a major in college (as I don't even use my current degree) and really wished I kept emailing the foreign languages department of my college (they ignored my initial email and I was too chicken to email again or call) because I had questions concerning how I should go about just taking languages classes with my major. I still want to go back to school just to learn languages. I find them fascinating. But I would be too shy to ever talk to anyone in another language since I have a speech problem where I don't even enunciate my own language right.

(0) (0)
Buying Lots of Stuff!

Come chat with me?

Posted: Feb 13th, '20, 16:23    

memoriam

I never went past bachelor's degree so it's not like I have education for translation. Univeristy was too stressful and time consuming for me even though I studied Hindi and some Japanese and I just love languages, they intrigue me.
Funny enough my BA thesis was basically literary analysis and after I passed that the professors asked me if I intend on continuing to Master's degree and I said no, they were "strongly encouraging" me to reconsider because they'd gladly have someone with such a literary eye etc. And I was like "I'll think about it" meanwhile in my head: "nopenopenopenopenopenope" :mcargh: Especially I wasn't interested in literature then, I was interested in translation specialty. Now I'm beginning to think maybe I should've actually reconsidered but well. I wanted to finish studies and start working to get money for saving for an apartment. Writing was still a hobby then although I knew I wanted to publish it someday.

I'd want to be a literary translator because I'm too shy to speak :mcheh: Once my boss asked me to translate orally on some meeting I wasn't prepared for and it was a nightmare. Mostly because he didn't tell me, so as mentioned, I wasn't prepared at all and I had to leave early to a doctor's appointment (I think it was gastroscopy, so super stressful) so I was distracted and the person my boss was meeting also understood what I wa stranslating and was correcting me and seemed annoyed that I missed some words (I just couldn't remember everything at once :mcsweat: ) and it was kind of humiliating...

(0) (0)

Posted: Feb 13th, '20, 18:00    

Rubie

Hugs: 142066
I love languages. My friend is from Austria, but her parents are Indian, so she can speak two of the Indian languages, German, and English and I just love listening to her speak in those languages. She'll speak German to her sister and Indian to her parents and it's beautiful. Japanese would be my first choice in learning more of since I know some basics from self study and what I've picked up from anime (lol) and what I stressed myself to remember for when I went to Japan the first time (so very basic sayings which I probably butcher the pronunciations of due to my speech problem).

I honestly don't think I could go back to school to get an actual education, I would only go back to learn what I want to learn because being forced into certain subjects and topics for a major was too stressful that I didn't really care if I retained any of the knowledge as long as I could pass the class. I could always tell when I did enjoy a class because I didn't find studying for it to be stressful or the class hard at all.

Oh my god, how embarrassing. I don't think my brain could keep up when translating on the spot.

I'm also under 50 donuts needed for my items. So ready to be done with this item so I can just move on and start it all over again for the next item.

(0) (0)
Buying Lots of Stuff!

Come chat with me?

Posted: Feb 13th, '20, 18:51    

jacobgrey

Hugs: 133701
Mood: (◡‿◡)
I had a similar embarrassing translation story: I'm quite bad with understanding what people say to me even in English because my hearing range is really wide and I have no filter, so I sometimes struggle to distinguish noises. On holiday in France, my family were just fully expecting me to do all the talking because I'm the only one who speaks French, which is fine, but I'm also socially awkward and when there's a bunch of people staring at me and waiting for me to speak my brain shuts down.
I was having this conversation with the woman who owned the house we were renting, and I accidentally told her that I was still in school (I was like 27 or something by that point). I couldn't be bothered to go back and correct her, this was someone we would see once and never again, so I just shrugged and continued the conversation. Then as we're leaving she makes some crack in English about school and my mum's like "OH SHE'S NOT IN SCHOOL ANYMORE, SHE'S 27, SHE GRADUATED YEARS AGO" and made a big thing out of it. I had to kind of mumble an apology and that I got confused and then try to sink into the ground and disappear.
I was so close to just getting away with it :mcsweat: It's not like I didn't understand what I said, I was just nervous in the conversation and agreed with something without thinking, then immediately in my head went "um, no, that's not right, oh sh-"

I am learning Korean right now but I feel like it will never get to a conversational level. I was listening to the guy giving his winning speeches at the Oscars and I understood like three words. One of them was 'love' which, for god's sake, I knew from music before I even decided to learn Korean. It's so different to English that it's taking me forever to learn it.
Although today I did learn how to say "I'm tired" so I can probably express everything I need to now XD

@mem maybe someday I will ask you to translate things for me. Even with just one language you have more possibilities than, well, anyone else I know :D

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
First fairy 8.4.15; 2nd 7.6.17
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Feb 14th, '20, 02:02    

Kuuki

Hugs: 278940
Seriously, don't beat yourself up for a mistake in French. I'm French and almost no one I know can speak it properly, even if it's their native language.
And having worked in the tourism industry I'd be thankful for everyone who at least mumbles some words and tries because that's definitely not the case with everyone.

That being said, I speak three languages fluently and what helped me was entertainment in that language.
And a German teacher once told me that singing songs in whatever language you want to learn is a wonderful pronunciation exercise.

Which reminds me I should brush up on my German because I still struggle to make a sentence. Entertainment in German is hard to find. Except Derrick but I don't like that old series that much XD
Should read manga in German or something ^^

(0) (0)
Life in Japan and more at MARCH STORY

Posted: Feb 14th, '20, 03:36    

Kitalpha Hart

Hugs: 5890
Mood: I'm poor (´Д` )
I need to brush up on my ASL
I live about halfway between two very sizable Deaf communities and so they tend to come to the local theme park during the summer and being able to directly talk with the adults instead of them being forced to rely on their hearing kid makes them super happy

Also wanna learn Italian and Japanese, former because various family members will visit our Italian relatives on a semi-regular basis and Japanese because a handful of pages I follow I'd like to not be forced to rely on a translation service one gave a tag translation as "horse placenta", for example. Nothing about the post had anything to do with horses, placentas, of some combo of

(0) (0)
Imageurls broke Imagebig sadsImage

Posted: Feb 14th, '20, 03:50    

Kuuki

Hugs: 278940
Japanese is hard to read. I do have the JLPT1 and I still can't read newspapers as well as I'd like to.
Guess it's a case of practice makes perfect but it's like they make everything more complicated than it should be.

I've had a few classes of Japanese ASL as well. Never had the chance to use it but I'd like to be able to have a conversation one day.

(0) (0)
Life in Japan and more at MARCH STORY

[ 14306 posts ]