Huh? What are you talking about?  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6
 Post subject: Ads on Knuffel pages
Posted: Apr 15th, '07, 00:13    

Administrator
starkad

Hugs: 36860
Mood: Buried in work.
Some people have been contacting us because they have problems with the layer ads on the Knuffel feed page.

Yeah, we know already. The ads are put there by our free hoster, so we can't do anything against it right now. We had moved the Knuffel to the current server before we noticed, and now we won't move again until we find a real solution to this problem, since moving the server means ALL users would have to change their Knuffel code, and we have no means of contacting all of them.

It is a fact that the Knuffel script is a rather complicated one that uses quite an amount of bandwidth and CPU time. Thus, we can't use just any free hoster, since most of them have restrictions - we got thrown out of the last one for exatly that reason.

The only REAL solution I can think of is to move to a paid host, with a real domain and everything. The thing is, the price depends on the amount of bandwidth that comes with it, so a hosting package we could actually use won't be cheap (we're talking abount 50$ / month or more)!

We're currently trying to raise funds to get a paid server. You may have noticed the increase of ads lately - well, the google ads on all knuffel pages are put there for exactly that reason (there, now it's said). Yes, we put the google ads there, we get paid for them being displayed and clicked on.

We are going to see how the income will develop in the next few months to decide if we can afford a paid server, since google ads are paid based on some mysterious rate depending on the times the ads have been displayed, and the times they have been actually clicked (It's something around 0.00001 $ or something per displayed ad, my guess is that the more they are clicked, the more we get for each display...). The income is rather random at the moment, we'll have to see...

So if you like the idea of Knuffels with less annoying ads (personally, I really HATE layered ads covering up most of the page), continue to support us!

(0) (0)

[ 1 post ]