Avatar Shopping Community Knuffel Quests Donate My Account Help

Jump to:

[ 32 posts ] 
 Post subject: Re: The golden compass
Posted: Jul 26th, '17, 19:46    

Afanasei

Hugs: 2777
The books are really enjoyable, but the movie just didn't do it for me. It wasn't bad, necessarily, I just didn't particularly care for it after having read and loved the books for so long.

(0) (0)
ash ♦ 21 ♦ usa

i draw things sometimes

Post subject: Re: The golden compass
Posted: Sep 27th, '18, 08:42    

Akili Li

Hugs: 224466
Mood: contemplative
So the author who did the Golden Compass series also, about a decade or so prior to those, did a different historical fiction series that was one of my very favorite books when I was young. I don't remember all of them; Ruby in the Smoke I think was one, but the third was Tiger in the Well and it was the first book I had to replace because I'd read it so often it fell apart. I loved it so very much! So I was pretty excited to hear about the golden compass when it came out, because I hadn't known he was still writing.

I think I jinxed it by having too high an expectation, though. I found them tediously preachy, which was frustrating as all get out because I was so very excited to try them.

But I haven't tried the movies, so maybe that format will work better, because Philip Pullman is a fantastic writer and I really would like to properly enjoy the world of the Golden Compass.

(0) (0)
I want to buy or trade for these knuffels:
Earth Gen 18, Light Gen 19, Fire Gen 21, Air/Light/Water Gen 22, Light Gen 23, Earth/Light Gen 25, Darkness Gen 26.
Please PM me if you can help!

[ 32 posts ]