J.K.Rowling  19%  [ 200 ]
Stephanie Meyer  3%  [ 33 ]
Stephen King  11%  [ 116 ]
Dean Koontz  3%  [ 36 ]
James Patterson  4%  [ 46 ]
Michael Crichton  2%  [ 19 ]
Other  57%  [ 596 ]
Total votes : 1046
 Post subject: Re: Who is/are your favourite authors and why...???
Posted: Oct 25th, '16, 17:43    

shadami

Hugs: 8207
Tiamatsan wrote:I've probably responded already but here are a few that I really like right now.

Rick Riordan who writes the Percy Jackson series. He's really good with merging modern day comedy/tragedy with ancient Greek/Egyptian mythology without it feeling like a gimick.

Tamora Pierce for writing several series about strong female characters who all come into their own power through many different ways. From finding acceptance in a job that was traditionally male orientated. To a demi-god sorcesses who learns to accept her non-human abilities as no different from her humanity. A young nobel-ish lady who establishes and runs a spy network all to keep her chosen queen to be on the throne. All of them are really good and shaped so much of my childhood.
Tamora Pierce is an amazing person <3

(0) (0)
ImageClick me to join an avatar contest!
Hunting: Book of Herbsx28;Chewing Gum;Iris Flowerx40;Pink Diamondx20;Toilet Paperx46;Will-o'-Wisp

Posted: Oct 27th, '16, 18:59    

brosia

Hugs: 1825
I love Holly Black. My favorite book is The Darkest Part of the Forest, but everything else is wonderful, too.

I'm also a big fan of Catheryne M. Valente. Her Fairyland books are actually my favorite, though I love her adult novels as well.

(0) (0)

Posted: Oct 27th, '16, 20:24    

Eaving

Hugs: 8277
Diana Gabaldon, Beatriz Williams, Jojo Moyes. They write moving pieces of literature that really pierce the heart of the human condition.

(0) (0)
Looking for: Halloween 2018 Knuffel. PM me!

Posted: Nov 1st, '16, 11:14    

Illyria

Hugs: 10037
Mood: Meh
Right now Colleen Hoover is my favorite author. Her books are just awesome, Her characters are usually interesting and complex and they always have a twist I don't see coming

(0) (0)

Posted: Nov 2nd, '16, 23:44    

Akili Li

Hugs: 224882
Mood: contemplative
Amanda Downum, for the interplay of her societies and characters (she writes fantasy novels).
Daniel Silva, for thrillers which don't make me want to strangle the protagonist and all supporting characters.
Steven Brust, for comedy in fantasy form and for entertaining spoofs which aren't so overblown that they lose punch.
James Schmitz, for making me fall in love with sci-fi, and for creating strong female protagonists back in the days of Dashiel Hammet.

(0) (0)
I want to buy or trade for these knuffels:
Earth Gen 18, Light Gen 19, Fire Gen 21, Air/Light/Water Gen 22, Light Gen 23, Earth/Light Gen 25, Darkness Gen 26.
Please PM me if you can help!

Posted: Nov 16th, '16, 11:13    

PulciniVerdi

Hugs: 17901
Terry Pratchett over anyone else, forever and ever.
Patrick Rothfuss's the best fantasy author in my opinion, I love his works and how carefull he is with its choice of words.
When I was younger I loved Dean Koontz but I can't deny that even if he can create extremely goos atmosphere and creepy moments, most of the time the endings are complete rubbish.

(0) (0)
.:Want to buy:.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
(feel free to pm me with your offer)

Posted: Nov 22nd, '16, 15:53    

Akili Li

Have I mentioned Lois McMaster Bujold here yet?

I just finished "Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen" and I love it so much :qh:

(0) (0)
Earth Gen 18, Light Gen 19, Fire Gen 21, Air/Light/Water Gen 22, Light Gen 23, Earth/Light Gen 25, Darkness Gen 26.

Posted: Sep 1st, '17, 13:13    

Mikael Hart

Hugs: 193904
Mood: Hugs are death squeezes.
Website: http://www.gaiaonline.com/profiles/mikael-hart/6844374/
brosia wrote:I'm also a big fan of Catheryne M. Valente. Her Fairyland books are actually my favorite, though I love her adult novels as well.
A little late getting in on this, but I do remember reading a short story from her called "A Delicate Architecture." I enjoyed it quite a bit!

I'm personally 100% behind Megan Whalen Turner as far as favorite authors go. She's got a writing style and world view that suits me quite nicely, and her characters are pretty admirable despite their flaws. Her "Attolia" / "Thief" series is what she's currently focusing on, and my favorite of those so far is "Conspiracy of Kings". Turner really knows how to draw her readers into the books, though with that said, her first book is actually the hardest to read, it seems. Once you have a grasp of her intentions though, it's an adventure from there.

Honorable mentions would be Cynthia Voigt, Mary Stewart, and Diana Wynne Jones. My shelves are crammed with my favorite works from them.

(0) (0)

Posted: Sep 30th, '17, 22:56    

WishingMoon

Hugs: 4498
I love a lot that has already been mentioned, you know the big ones J.K, Stephen King, etc, I'm going to try and mention someone else.

Cornelia Funke: She is probably the only person who has made me like fantasy. There is a nice flip between very fantasy and real world, literally.

(I know Harry Potter is fantasy and I love it but it doesn't feeeeel like fantasy. Almost as if it could have been the same story without the magic.)

I like darker children's books. Those stories that are slightly sinister and don't perfectly work out.

I also like that her books often have effective adults. A lot of stories with teen/children protagonists often are heroes without adult involvement or are hindered by adults. It is no secret that I am really displeased with my mother. She wasn't bad just not the parent I needed her to be. That is so common and it sucks. Children should have adults they can rely on. Adults should be better than kids when bad situations happen.

(0) (0)

Posted: Sep 27th, '18, 09:05    

Akili Li

Throwing in a couple more authors...

Jasper Fforde, because as far as satires go, his are highly entertaining stories even without that.

Michael Innes, because as much as he was a white-male-privilege-cliche, the complexity of his language use always makes me happy. I've actually learned new words from him, and at this point in English that's rare.
For the same reason, with the same caveats, Edmund Crispin and Michael Gilbert.

Kate Ross, because her characters make me believe they were real people, in all their subtlety, silliness, and painful dignity.

Patricia Wrede, because the Frontier Magic books make me look at the world differently.

Jennifer Crusie, because sometimes I just really need a good laugh.

(0) (0)

[ 80 posts ]