Avatar Shopping Community Knuffel Quests Donate My Account Help

Jump to:

[ 1102 posts ] 
What is your favorite piece of furniture from this list?
Chair  4%  [ 6 ]
Table  2%  [ 3 ]
Sofa  17%  [ 28 ]
Floor Lamp  7%  [ 11 ]
Desk  10%  [ 16 ]
Recliner  13%  [ 21 ]
Food Option  20%  [ 33 ]
I didn't even read the options  28%  [ 45 ]
Total votes : 163
 Post subject: Re: *Private* Tripping the Light Fantastic
Posted: Sep 6th, '18, 16:08    

Stroctoperry

Hugs: 11228
Mood: Lazy
Website: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1701656/LordofDorkness
Are there any experienced TAs you could ask? Lots of people must have TA'd this before.
I use powerpoints when it helps. Dr. Kennedy prefers an introductory presentation, so I'm using them more this semester. Somehow the chalk isn't so bad? Must be high quality blackboards.

I don't trust that new neighbor dog. There will be no unnecessary throwing.

Marty "The Moth" Martinez was working for the state? Are you sure it wasn't a rival gang? Maybe a club? Hair club?
It's luxurious. You should check it out.

It could have a creepier tone.

(0) (0)

Posted: Sep 11th, '18, 18:59    

Formiana

Hugs: 7165
Mood: Nonplussed
Sure. Plenty of folks have TA'd this before. Most of them don't give terribly good advice, I'm finding. I think most of them don't care much if they do a good job or not.
I messed up bad again. I mistimed my recitation and didn't give my people enough time to do the lab. The naturally slow groups were put into a rush situation. If they get bad grades, it's definitely my fault, and I don't know what to do about that. Sorry to dump all this crap on you, I just need to... make confession of my TA sins, or something.
I do not believe that there is any chalk that isn't so bad. All chalk is bad. All blackboards are bad. My ears and hands scream at the thought.

???What new neighbor dog???

Marty "The Moth" Martinez was part of my group, I think. He just also wanted to do a kidnapping. As a hobby, maybe.

What fence are y'all even working on these days? How many more years of "Sorry, can't talk; we're fencing" should I expect?

(0) (0)

Posted: Sep 11th, '18, 20:15    

Stroctoperry

That's unfortunate. Tell them to stop sucking so much.
Well, don't do that again. Alternatively, light a fire under the slow groups and teach them a healthy sense of urgency. Time management is also a valuable skill.
Do you expect your students to read the labs in advance? Maybe you could focus more on asking questions that check their preparation, rather than presenting a lot of stuff they should already know.
IDK. Magic chalk?

The Warren boy has a dog. It runs around in the road whenever it wants.

Sounds fun. Sure. As practice.

We're working on the back field fence, in the region of the gate that tips up at 45°. Would prefer the gate close rather than tipping up at 45°, if possible. Not sure if we'll take it down to the swamp corner or move over to the fence by Carol's hay field next. Goal is to finish the whole back field so we have more options for containing Peanut, then maybe start revamping the back 40. Timeline unknown. It's a process.

(0) (0)

Posted: Sep 21st, '18, 16:51    

Stroctoperry

Stimulus?

(0) (0)

Posted: Oct 15th, '18, 17:54    

Formiana

Heyo, what's up in snailtown? I'm back and ready for sliming.

Did you have any more thoughts on your PlanoWriMo? I'm a little stuck with mine because I can't decide whether to change gears to make it near-future SF or stick with the fantasy wizards who would be more in my comfort zone. I'm just not good at SF worldbuilding.

How were the kitties when you left them???

I want to keep watching GLOW, but I'm not sure how much more of the "People being awful to each other" I can take. Does that let up a little?

(0) (0)

Posted: Oct 15th, '18, 18:11    

Stroctoperry

I've got slime enough for both of us. Plague has come to snailtown.

I realized I'm a very character-driven writer. I need to develop the characters before I can possibly get a plot that I like, because they will drive the plot.
Either way would be fine. I'm sure I would enjoy reading both. If you're thinking in terms of future commercialization, the sci-fi option has a clear outlet at the one-shot novella level, while the wizard option would probably need to be developed into a series.
I can help with sci-fi worldbuilding! I am very speculative!

They wanted to go outside, but Moose was still scratching his cone and Julius still looked puffy. Will reevaluate on Wednesday. I feel puffy, too.

Are you familiar with the four stages of team formation? They're in the midst of that. It resolves by the late middle of season 1, and gets much better before then. It is very satisfying to see them getting nicer to each other.
I don't recommend things that are too cringe-y. You know this.

(0) (0)

Posted: Oct 16th, '18, 16:46    

Formiana

Oh dear. I trust you're keeping your mantle well-drained and your head-foot as mucous-free as possible?

That's an important thing to know about yourself. Are you rebuilding your same idea from the ground up, starting with characters this time, or are you trying something different?
Publishability is not on my list of concerns, so I can safely ignore that as a factor.
All of the speculation I do feels like it's on the level of a free iBook. Have you browsed the SF section? They are all so very bad. Especially the nearer-future stuff. I read one set in a stratified society of "people who have uploaded themselves to computers" and "normal meat humans", and no matter what I think of, I keep comparing my ideas to that. It's not great. The state of modern SF makes me feel like I'm in a position where I either settle into truly mediocre well-worn tropes, or speculate sideways to the point where humanity is unrecognizable and I'm not interested in writing about it anymore.

I figured it was something like that, but I was already emotionally exhausted by the end of the three episodes we watched. It's about duration, not eventual resolution.

(0) (0)

Posted: Oct 16th, '18, 18:38    

Stroctoperry

As well as possible. Luckily I don't have to do any teaching today, so I'm staying home.

Just creating characters that fit into the framework. I had no plot to speak of, so it's not hard.
You just don't have enough access to Asimov's. Don't worry, speculative fiction continues to exist. And then the cranky book reviewer at the back despairs that the stand-alone novel has been destroyed by the publishing industry's love of GoT-esque series, and I tend to agree with him.
Having read a great deal of old garbage, I can tell you that most of science fiction fell into the mediocre well-worn tropes of its day. We only remember the ones that were on top of the pile, and they appear unique out of that context. But they are not.

If it helps, things resolve and other things occur. So it's not so much eventual resolution. I consider it to be very good character driven drama. Like a fatal flaw done in a believable way. But with a happy ending.

(0) (0)

Posted: Oct 24th, '18, 21:50    

Stroctoperry

This Halloween research quest is a huge berry sink. Very unfair to my berry wallet.

(0) (0)

Posted: Oct 26th, '18, 18:44    

Formiana

Would! You! Stop! Double! Posting!
I know I take forever to respond. Deal with it. This is how our lives work.

PlaNoWriMo progress? Do you have characters yet? A plot?
I made a document to put my planning in. It's a mostly empty document. This isn't going great.
Worldbuilding SF is so hard. How do I know whether I've failed to speculate about some important field of technology that would completely change my setting? It's not like there's a checklist.

Sometimes you gotta spend those berries, bro. The quest isn't going to disappear, right? No need to squander berries if you don't intend to finish it this year.

(0) (0)

[ 1102 posts ]