Yes  54%  [ 71 ]
No  46%  [ 60 ]
Total votes : 131
 Post subject: Re: Lost Books Thread
Posted: Apr 4th, '16, 13:58    

Akili Li

Hugs: 223776
Mood: contemplative
Can you give any details, like was it a fictionalized history, or speculative fiction? Was it written from the viewpoint of one of the sisters? Was it more like a biography about them? Was it hardcover or paperback? Do you remember if there was more than one author? What country was it set in?

(0) (0)
I want to buy or trade for these knuffels:
Earth Gen 18, Light Gen 19, Fire Gen 21, Air/Light/Water Gen 22, Light Gen 23, Earth/Light Gen 25, Darkness Gen 26.
Please PM me if you can help!

Posted: Apr 17th, '16, 16:52    

lilybel

Hugs: 2291
savage_rose wrote:There was a fiction book I started reading a few years ago about the Spiritualist movement and there were 2 sisters (I think one might have been named Kate? So maybe it was about the Fox Sisters?). But I don't remember the author or the book. And my searches haven't found it.
Novels about the Fox sisters:

Salerni, Dianne K. We hear the dead. (Sourcebooks Fire, 2010) Originally published as High Spirits: A Tale of Ghostly Rapping and Romance.
Mulligan, Claire. The Dark. (Doubleday, 2013)
Noyes, Deborah. Captivity. (Unbridled Books, 2010) Two novellas in one book, first one is about the Fox sisters.
Mackin, Jeanne. The Sweet By and By. (St. Martins, 2001) Unlikely to be it, since it's set partially in the present day.

Other possible novels:

Matheson, Richard. Come Fygures, Come Shadowes. (Gauntlet, 2003) Features siblings. No Kate, but a Claire.
Gensler, Sonia. The Dark Between. (Knopf, 2013) Features spiritualism, one of the main characters is named Kate.

(0) (0)

Posted: Apr 18th, '16, 02:53    

savage_rose

Hugs: 13064
You guys are awesome! I think it might have been one of the 2 books with "Dark" in the title, because it was a newer fiction hardback around that time. it was written in 3rd person but seemed to focus on the sisters. Thank you so much for the leads :)

(0) (0)

Posted: Sep 10th, '16, 14:04    

Reht

Hugs: 11523
Ah, there's a book I read ages ago and would love to read again, but I can't remember sooo much about it xP

Main character was a girl (pre-teen I think), I remember her having to travel through a snowy landscape and she had this suitcase full of petri dish type things that her mother (now dead) had entrusted her with. Inside the petri dishes were tiny animals (like, miniature versions of actual animals, I remember one in particular had tiny bears in it), and the animals were super fragile and she had to journey to get them somewhere - and I think there were people chasing her trying to get them?

And then that's honestly all I can remember xP
My memory's terrible and I tend to blaze through books so quickly that I end up forgetting most of the events from them, except for key aspects and a general feeling of whether I liked the book or not xP
It's pretty frustrating when I'm trying to discuss books with others, but it kinda means I can almost experience books I love for the first time again xP
(obviously once I reread them a couple of times, things actually stick - I'd do pretty great on an edge chronicles quiz P: )

But yeah, if anyone knows what this odd one-off book is from this vague description, I'll be very impressed xD

(0) (0)
▃▅▆ The Inbetween ▆▅▃
A walk-in role-play hangout - please come and join C:

Posted: Sep 14th, '16, 00:54    

lilybel

Reht wrote:Ah, there's a book I read ages ago and would love to read again, but I can't remember sooo much about it xP

Main character was a girl (pre-teen I think), I remember her having to travel through a snowy landscape and she had this suitcase full of petri dish type things that her mother (now dead) had entrusted her with. Inside the petri dishes were tiny animals (like, miniature versions of actual animals, I remember one in particular had tiny bears in it), and the animals were super fragile and she had to journey to get them somewhere - and I think there were people chasing her trying to get them?

But yeah, if anyone knows what this odd one-off book is from this vague description, I'll be very impressed xD
Searching various databases brings up Siberia by Ann Halam (pseudonym of Gwyneth Jones). That it?

(1) (0)

Posted: Sep 14th, '16, 18:23    

Reht

Hugs: 11523
Oh my goodness, you're a magician! :O
That's the one :qh:
Thank you! C:

(0) (0)
▃▅▆ The Inbetween ▆▅▃
A walk-in role-play hangout - please come and join C:

Posted: Sep 14th, '16, 22:01    

lilybel

Reht wrote:Oh my goodness, you're a magician! :O
That's the one :qh:
Thank you! C:
You're welcome. :) I'm studying library science augury, so I'm usually happy for chance to practice the arcane art of the complex boolean search. :P

(0) (0)

Posted: May 11th, '17, 00:35    

Akili Li

Okay, here's a challenge.

It's a children's book, it is illustrated with photographs instead of drawn illustrations, it's about a girl and her rabbit; she has a bike with a basket on the bike and she take the rabbit with her places while she visits with friends, and one day the rabbit meets another rabbit, and soon there are lots of little rabbits which she gives away each to a friend.

It's not a SUPER ancient book, but it is definitely an older one.

Help?

(Way too many kids' books about rabbits. >.< )

(0) (0)
Earth Gen 18, Light Gen 19, Fire Gen 21, Air/Light/Water Gen 22, Light Gen 23, Earth/Light Gen 25, Darkness Gen 26.

Posted: May 14th, '17, 09:04    

Lilyse

Hugs: 22001
could it be 'the little rabbit' by judy dunn? i might still even have my copy; i'll go check.

edit: no luck finding it, but i do still have "the little kitten," also by judith dunn. :qh:

(0) (0)

Posted: May 17th, '17, 05:24    

Akili Li

Update: Was trying to find the book for my brother-in-law, and he says that was it! :D
Thanks!

I have another set for you now, this one should hopefully be easier. I can't keep looking myself because I keep buying all the not-it-but-this-looks-interesting-anyhow false positives and my budget is just GONE for the month already. So... hopefully you can find it and then I won't be tempted any longer.

It's a fantasy trilogy, and it follows a young girl who starts out living on the streets and ends up in the palace, and another viewpoint character is the (very young!) king's bodyguard (a woman warrior), and another viewpoint character is a male mage with political aspirations, and he's the one who first finds the young girl-from-the-streets and cultivates her. I have a vague recollection that the titles are themed something like one has a mouse in it, one has a dog in it, and one has a cat in the title? And the 'mouse' is the street-girl, the dog is the bodyguard, and the cat is the mage?
They end kind of on a cliff-hanger when the former street-girl (young woman at that point) is going to be heading off into exile, but she's smart and resourceful and no one has any doubt that she'll land on her feet.
Not really a cliff-hanger.
Just, not a really terribly well resolved ending.

So I guess there might be more than just those 3.

ANyhow.

Can you help?

edit: actually, maybe the 'cat' is the former mouse who is now become a cat, because I think the mage gets killed off or something.

(0) (0)

[ 75 posts ]