Total votes : 33
 Post subject: Re: KofK Book Club [American Gods By Neil Gaiman]
Posted: Oct 31st, '17, 10:08    

Mikael Hart

Hugs: 193873
Mood: Hugs are death squeezes.
Website: http://www.gaiaonline.com/profiles/mikael-hart/6844374/
Thanks!

Actually, you never know! If you can draw in detail and have a steady hand, you're already half way there! My brother always continues to amaze me with what he can do (he's made some awesome fandom cakes and pumpkin carvings), and it's as much guts to try something out and believe that you can do it as it is the skills that you have. If you try something new, you'll never know what new thing you'll learn about yourself. You just have to have a bold and positive attitude, and be okay if it doesn't turn out perfect. :3

Aha, sure! Hopefully, I'll get around to it!

Thanks! The second one is strongly influenced by faery tales and folklore, especially Beauty and the Beast. The fairy in that story is an elf lord/faery knight (the terms "elf" and "faery" are interchangeable in that story). His name is Vanlande, and he has his own story going on (not as an RP, but a backstory I made for the character). The mansion where the RP takes place is one that Vanlande built for his mortal wife, Greta, who has passed away.

Greta makes appearances in other stories (she and Vanlande both do, on separate occasions in a couple stories). While Vanlande is portrayed as a courtly character, he can be deceptive and morally ambiguous. Greta, on the other hand, is pragmatic and unforgiving, but steadfast and loyal. I really enjoyed working on the pair, especially since it gave me an opportunity to work on a female character.

(0) (0)

Posted: Oct 31st, '17, 10:34    

Tora_Fujimoto

Hugs: 30688
I cant draw that well but I try sometimes!
I dont draw that much anymore. But maybe I can try one year when we can have pumpkins.

That second idea sounds really cool. I think Id be interested in that a lot because Beauty and the Beast is my favorite tale. I love it so much. But I also like elves and faeries so Id like to be in that one definitely. c:

(0) (0)
Questing Materials

Goldfish x 17
Lily ✔️
Water Orb ✔️
Wererat Tail ✔️
Yellow Balloon x 70
Food Points ✔️

Posted: Oct 31st, '17, 10:39    

Mikael Hart

Aha, I draw alright. Mostly chibis 'cause they're less complex (generally).

Considering that it takes place during the month of Inktober, you could try and practice with the themes they give you then! :3

Oh, yeah, I like Beauty and the Beast a lot as well. I mean, Belle is all about books, so she's good with me. XD

(0) (0)

Posted: Oct 31st, '17, 11:26    

Tora_Fujimoto

Yeah thats right. Maybe next time I can try it out. I dont even really know my style. I drew more in middle school but thats been a few years xD lol

Yeah, Belle's got to be one of my top favorite princesses. Have you seen the new disney movie? I liked it.

(0) (0)
Questing Materials

Goldfish x 17
Lily ✔️
Water Orb ✔️
Wererat Tail ✔️
Yellow Balloon x 70
Food Points ✔️

Posted: Nov 1st, '17, 00:32    

Mikael Hart

Aha, my style is pretty inconsistent. I need more practice!

Mulan and Belle are both my favorites. Rapunzel would be third.

My favorite Disney characters, however, are Judy (Zootopia), Scar (Lion King), and Maleficent (Sleeping Beauty).

Are you talking about Moana? I liked it too. My brother worked the premiere and got to see the voice actors for it. Same with Doctor Strange. XD

(0) (0)

Posted: Nov 8th, '17, 12:16    

Tora_Fujimoto

Hey. Sorry I haven't been on. I've been on Tattered Weave. Chrizine got me addicted. xD

I was talking about the new Beauty and the Beast movie. I loved it. Moana was a good one too. Thats really cool your brother got to do that. I wish I was able to have that kind of experience. c:

I was able to finish the chapter this morning. Its 2:15 am right now and Im tired. I'm ready to talk about the book when you are. xD I think the week will work for me. How about you?

(0) (0)
Questing Materials

Goldfish x 17
Lily ✔️
Water Orb ✔️
Wererat Tail ✔️
Yellow Balloon x 70
Food Points ✔️

Posted: Nov 9th, '17, 01:56    

Mikael Hart

Aha, nice. Dw, it's all good.

Oh, yeah, I've seen it; it was alright. Seeing Beauty and the Beast in live action was interesting and enjoyable, but I probably wouldn't rewatch it.

I'm still a bit behind since I keep getting distracted by stuff that's going on IRL. How about you put your comments under a cut, and I'll respond to it later tonight?

(0) (0)

Posted: Nov 9th, '17, 02:33    

Tora_Fujimoto

Alright that works. I thought I wasnt going to finish in time either but I was up all night anyways so I decided to get on it. Ill put it in a spoiler then.
Spoiler
I had trouble getting into it at first and thought maybe this was a bad idea to read this book. But when I got closer to finishing the 1st chapter it caught my interest. How he wrote and the details really helped me picture what was going on around the character and what he was thinking.

I did not expect his wife to die in the first chapter. Like Neil just jumps you right into it and gets you going in the beginning of the book and I like that. It got me interested and I was just sad when it happened. Like my heart dropped. Im really excited to read the next chapter.

Plus at the end with the girl and what happened there was just crazy and I was like "Wth is going on?" XD Mr. Wednesday seems interesting and I have my ideas on who he might be but its WAY to early to be guessing.

I liked Beauty and the Beast and I probably would watch it again but not right away. I remembered I had another book at my house about sleeping beauty. I like to read twists and different ideas on fairy tales. c:

(0) (0)
Questing Materials

Goldfish x 17
Lily ✔️
Water Orb ✔️
Wererat Tail ✔️
Yellow Balloon x 70
Food Points ✔️

Posted: Nov 9th, '17, 04:31    

Mikael Hart

Alright, I have to go out for a bit, but I got the book out of my closet. Would you prefer that I read one chapter tonight, or two? (Edit: I read one.)

Oh, nice! The live action was interesting in the way it went into the background details about the characters.

Spoiler
Dude, I feel you. I don't know what I was expecting with the series, but it certainly wasn't that.

The first half of chapter one hits a little hard in the way that I just recently experienced the death of a friend this week. It didn't come out of the blue, quite, since he's been ill, but we all thought he was getting better. Our pastor even recorded a greeting he gave us when my pastor was visiting him in the hospital. My friend thanked everyone who visited him and said he hoped to be able to see us soon. We listened to that recording on the day he died and didn't even know it; life can be pretty tragic that way. I know he's in a better place now, but I can't help but miss him, since we've known each other for over 20 years, and he feels like family to me.

With that said, I guess I can relate to Shadow a bit in the aspect of loss.

The story didn't pull me in immediately, but going through it, I do like what I'm seeing of Shadow, and all the other characters seem pretty interesting so far. Gaiman's style really suits his theme of modern deities, and I'm looking forward to seeing where he takes it.

The scene with the goddess was entirely unexpected to me, but since the story is about American Gods, it seems fair to say that I think she seems appropriate to the story. Did not expect the adult content though. Wow.

(0) (0)

Posted: Sep 27th, '18, 09:12    

Akili Li

Hugs: 224696
Mood: contemplative
Is this still going at all?

I found out recently that American Gods is getting turned into a... movie or show, don't remember.... but some form of visual media.

I'd be curious, if once the book has been finished, anyone who has both read the book and seen the movie/show would be willing to say anything about how the adaptation went?

(0) (0)
I want to buy or trade for these knuffels:
Earth Gen 18, Light Gen 19, Fire Gen 21, Air/Light/Water Gen 22, Light Gen 23, Earth/Light Gen 25, Darkness Gen 26.
Please PM me if you can help!

[ 150 posts ]