tWo  24%  [ 10 ]
ThrEe  48%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 42
 Post subject: Re: Special talents and skills
Posted: Apr 10th, '17, 08:38    

Miky90

Hugs: 185803
Mood: Reading some manga ... Find me in the spaming section XD
I don't know if I have talents to say, I do have passions that I try to explore and make myself good at, like drawing and I want to start righting as well, though I'm pretty sure I will have a long way to go with the second one.

(0) (0)

Posted: Apr 10th, '17, 09:06    

Kitalpha Hart

Hugs: 5144
Mood: I'm poor (´Д` )
I hear that the worst part of writing is the editing

(0) (0)
Imageurls broke Imagebig sadsImage

Posted: Apr 10th, '17, 09:20    

-Leo-

Hugs: 46995
Mood: Ta-ta!
It is... Writing is the easy part, very easy. But when it comes to the having to do all the editing, often more than once if you're doing it, instead of someone else editing it for you... I hate that part with passion, lol. I'd rather just write. And yet, I'm too jealous of my work to accept just any random people to help me with that.

(0) (0)

" Fantasy is what people want, but reality is what they need "

Posted: Apr 10th, '17, 10:38    

Miky90

I want to ask, but please don't think I'm stupid for not knowing, I just never had any connections with writing until now, but what exactly is editing in this section? I mean, what exactly dose editing involve when writing?

(0) (0)

Posted: Apr 10th, '17, 11:13    

-Leo-

There's the usual fixing of typos and grammar mistakes. Finding possible plot holes and fixing those. The general plot points and character behavior. I also read through whatever I've written and see if something doesn't work or it would sound better when put some other way. Maybe change some words or arrange the sentence differently, or move it elsewhere. I also sometimes flat out remove small or even big parts of a story when they neither add anything nor sound all that great when I read it later. Or if there's too much of something, I try to tone it down. Same if there's not enough, I add more to it. Few times I've even done a complete rewrite of a chapter, which is a bit more than simple editing. I'm sure there's more, but that's pretty much the basic things I always do.

One thing this editing things myself has done to me, I have a growing list of writing pet peeves... I guess it can't be helped.

(0) (0)

Posted: Apr 10th, '17, 13:34    

Miky90

I think I understand what you mean. If I pick up writing, this part is going to be a nightmare for me. I have a switch button that goes off whenever I have to reread the same thing. I just can't do it :mcsweat:

(0) (0)

Posted: Apr 10th, '17, 13:45    

-Leo-

I think it's much easier to edit someone else's work. When you edit your own work, there are things you're not going to notice, if for no other reason then because you've worked too much on it and probably read it too many times and your brain automatically either ignores or fixes those mistakes as you're reading. But if someone else does the editing for you, they come at it with fresh minds and can look at things as an outsider.

(0) (0)

Posted: Apr 10th, '17, 14:08    

Miky90

I can agree with that. Plus when you edit your own work you can make sense of some parts because your mind already know the plot wile for other people it doesn't make sense and you have to add/skip somethings.

I think I'll give writing a try in the future, see how it goes :)

(0) (0)

Posted: Apr 10th, '17, 14:24    

-Leo-

That's true, hence the fixing of possible plot holes being one of the things to do while editing.

Whether one is a writer or not, I recommend at least giving it a try. It forces you out of your comfort zone, and to think things in detail, sometimes giving your brains a real workout. And if you write in a foreign language, it will also help you with developing your language skills. Although English isn't my native language and there are many grammar rules that give me a massive headache, I actually find now writing in English way more natural. Honestly, when it comes to the written work, I prefer English in general. Fanfiction for me has been the perfect way to learn and grow as a writer, until I feel like I'm good enough to share my original work. And since the bigger the fandom, the more there are trolls and fandom bad apples (with few occasional grammar cops) who force you to grow a thicker skin against harsh (even rude) comments and such.

(0) (0)

Posted: Apr 10th, '17, 14:51    

Miky90

If I were to write I will most certainly do it in english. Even my OC's stories are made in english, cuz if I translate them to my native language they sound dumb for some reason XD
Probably because most of my OC's/ stories are fantastical.

I am pretty bad with the grammar though, but till I'll feel confortable with sharing my work it won't matter that much.

(0) (0)

[ 37 posts ]