Mad Max's Whatever That Was  7%  [ 4 ]
:food:  38%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 60
 Post subject: Driving
Posted: Oct 11th, '18, 07:42    

Akili Li

Hugs: 225693
Mood: contemplative
So I've been borrowing one of my relative's car lately to practice driving (since it's been a long time and my license renewal is coming up).

It's SUPER STRESSFUL.

I'm not sure how many of you drive at all, but if you do, do you have any advice to stay calm and relax more about the whole thing?
I've been ending up with headaches just from holding myself too tense, and it's never good to have that much anxiety anyhow.
So if any of you have any tricks, tips, or just advice, I would really appreciate hearing it!

(0) (0)
I want to buy or trade for these knuffels:
Earth Gen 18, Light Gen 19, Fire Gen 21, Air/Light/Water Gen 22, Light Gen 23, Earth/Light Gen 25, Darkness Gen 26.
Please PM me if you can help!

Post subject: Re: Driving
Posted: Oct 15th, '18, 11:29    

light_sucks

Hugs: 158681
Mood: vaguely alive
I drive! I'm also a very nervous driver. Practice is what makes it a little less intense for me.

And if you do end up having a panic attack or something like that remember to pull over. You shouldn't drive if you're in any serious states of emotional distress.

Breathing exercises are also helpful.

(0) (0)
They/Them pronouns, please.

Call me Moss.

Posted: Oct 20th, '18, 19:16    

Arachne

Hugs: 48939
I also drive. There was time when I had a very long break, I wasn't driving for many, many years. At that time whenever I actually got into car to drive, I was paralysed with fear. I also didn't drive much right after I had got my driving licence, so it was very hard for me too.

At some point I decided to do something with this, because there's no point having a car if you're not able to drive it. So I took some driving lessons once again. Afterwards I started to practise a little by myself once a week, in the evenings when there aren't so many cars around (it was a big problem for me to drive around many other cars and I live in the middle of a very big city, so there's always someone around). I was still very stressed, but it was starting to feel a bit easier if I was doing it systematically.

Then I got a job which forced me to drive every day - there's simply no other proper way to get there. I gradually become more proficient and therefore less stressed. Now I wouldn't say I'm a good driver, but I'm not a bad one and I'm not stressed anymore.

So I'd say you just need more driving practise. You can drive through all the easy roads arund you when there aren't many cars around - I think it's the best way. And it doesn't really matter you're going in circles using the same way every time, because what actually matters is that you are driving - you're slowly getting proficient with starting, stopping, turning left, right and so on, since these actions look very similar wherever you are. And if you feel like you actually know what you're doing, you'll also be much calmer.

(0) (0)
I want to practise my English. If you see any mistakes, please send me a pm.

Why do some people use such a small font size? It hurts my eyes... :mcdead:

Posted: Nov 1st, '18, 19:51    

Yokuutsu

Hugs: 11140
Mood: I just want to sleep
I hate driving.

Having full coverage insurance helps (so if something does happen, you're covered, but the price will go up sadly)

All I do is if I realize I'm that tense (ussually squeezing the steering wheel to death), I force myself to loosen my grip.

Just don't speed, go slower if you have to, long as you're not on a highway because people like to speed way too much on those. And pay attention? Your mirrors are good, but you shouldn't fully rely on them, especially while backing up....make sure to look by turning your head, believe me.

And it's better to wait than to risk turning out in front of a car.

(0) (0)
Questing: 12 x Silver Crown.

I am so far behind on castle quests.

Also: Always looking for MxM rps

Posted: Nov 2nd, '18, 07:56    

Akili Li

Thank you guys for your advice and support!

I have been mostly just going very short distances, and at night when I can, and I like best parking lots (because you can go as slow as you want, in a parking lot!), but recently I went on one of the bigger roads in town, that had a speed limit of 35mph! (I live in the US now so it's all in miles) I was so proud that I didn't hyperventilate!

So it is slow progress, but it is happening.

(0) (0)
Earth Gen 18, Light Gen 19, Fire Gen 21, Air/Light/Water Gen 22, Light Gen 23, Earth/Light Gen 25, Darkness Gen 26.

Posted: Nov 2nd, '18, 08:40    

Yokuutsu

Hugs: 11140
Mood: I just want to sleep
Don't worry, I hate driving too.

The most important thing, I think, if you know the area, is figuring out the places you don't like to drive more so....like one road, at the end of it here has a big bush and you can't see around it without being in the middle of the intersection....I don't like that, so avoid coming out from the road where it blocks your view.

Stuff like that.

(0) (0)
Questing: 12 x Silver Crown.

I am so far behind on castle quests.

Also: Always looking for MxM rps

Posted: Nov 5th, '18, 04:57    

MissNikki

Hugs: 104998
Mood: Tired. Always tired.
I am scared to learn how to drive period. I just haven't done it, and I'm 31 years old! I better figure it out soon ... LoL ... my boyfriend always offers to teach me. But I put it off because it freaks me out. I bet once I learn I will be fine. I'm sure you will get the hang of it again soon! :mcheh:

(0) (0)

Posted: Nov 6th, '18, 16:37    

Hiyono

Hugs: 22151
Honestly it really is mostly about getting used to driving. My dad stuck me on a freeway very early on so I started being confident afterwards. Of course this might not work for you as it sounds like you've been driving for a while but maybe try going on a road trip somewhere far away.

(0) (0)

Posted: Nov 11th, '18, 16:23    

Laviandre

Hugs: 25401
Mood: not sad, not happy
I drive. I used to drive a lot 2 years ago. I got my license at 18 years old and now I am almost 22. After my first accident I started to be a little bit scared of driving. Whenever I drive I try to be really careful... and I try to avoid driving at night because it makes me really nervous.
What helps me is to be sure that I am in full control. I try to prepare my mirrors, my seat and I like to have everything arranged perfectly.

Good luck! I'm sure that you'll be fine. Take care!

(1) (0)

Posted: Nov 11th, '18, 19:04    

Akili Li

Thank you guys! This thread is really helping. When I start to get the shakes thinking about the next driving goal I can practice breathing for a bit and then come here and reread advice and it helps calm me down again.

(0) (0)

[ 16 posts ]