Song!  49%  [ 25 ]
Dance!  16%  [ 8 ]
Feast!  35%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 51
 Post subject: Re: Musicals!
Posted: May 23rd, '20, 10:47    

Altira

Hugs: 79460
So I recently watched a broadcast of the 25th anniversary performance of Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall and it was pretty enjoyable! It felt like the archetypical musical: a sweeping, emotional (some would say melodramatic) story, fantastic costumes and sets, lots of feelings expressed in song. I didn't get fully swept up in the story, so some of the serious stuff still felt quite silly. But I did enjoy it and can understand what people who are really into it can see in it :mccute:

(0) (0)
We need never by hopeless, because we can never be irreparably broken.
- Miles Halter, Looking for Alaska

Posted: May 23rd, '20, 13:05    

Dream-Baby

Hugs: 111890
Mood: dreaming behind my desk, waiting for my stories to unfold.
I've been bookmarking several musicals on Youtube, just haven't got the time to really sit down and enjoy one for the full run though. :}

(0) (0)
Join me at Quetzal Palace in Furvilla.
Dream's personal Quote wrote:An insult is only insulting if you feel insulted.
You are a Fox!

Foxes are clever, perceptive, and shrewd. You're happiest working behind the scenes, pulling strings and watching others dance to your imperceptible tune. Independent yet highly social, you glide among your circles of acquaintance with ease, sharing your sharp wit or a delicious piece of gossip.

Image. Image

Posted: Jun 7th, '20, 17:58    

blackbriar

Hugs: 56795
Mood: lazy
Did anyone actually watch the new Cats movie? I did and thought it was okay. Very strange in some of the choices that were made and creepy in a similar but different way from the original. Like, too realistic, but not realistic?

Anyway, it's also the month to watch all of the amazing LGBTQ+ musicals out there! What are ya'lls favorites?

(0) (0)
Huge Art Request

XoXoXoXo

Items as payment

Posted: Aug 15th, '20, 19:17    

Akili Li

Hugs: 220631
Mood: Crumbly Crumpet
Oh, I'm getting so nostalgic going through this thread...

Hm. I grew up with Gilbert and Sullivan (a bunch of them, but of course the Mikado, Iolanthe, and the Pirates of Penzance were the most often). Also "The Music Man". I know most of the songs to all of those by heart.
And do operas count or not? I mean, they're kind of like the forerunner to musicals, right? For about half a year we had a television, and we watched a video of "La Cenerentola" so often it's worn channels in my brain even all these decades later.

Into the Woods, yes, that one too but it just wasn't performed as often where I could go see it, so I don't have the same familiarity.

Several years in a row, at school they showed us a video of "West Side Story". With various excuses for putting on a movie in class. I managed to watch it all the way through, once, but then I never really had much patience for Romeo & Juliet and its later fanfic (West Side Story is like a musical version of a fanfic of Romeo & Juliet in my mind) so I'd end up ignoring the movie to read during class. But some of the tunes would get hummed by enough other students for weeks after that something of it stuck.

Now, the three musicals I really want to track down and see? "Guys and Dolls" (one of my uncles likes to sing that "Luck be a Lady Tonight" song and it made me look up where it was from. Now I want to see the whole thing at least once, so the song will have context).
And "Hamilton". Lot of folk were talking about that recently, and it made me curious.
And then, of course, "Phantom of the Opera". I keep just missing it! It'll come through with a performance while I'm off visiting a relative and then I won't get tickets until I get home and they're sold out for the rest of the run, or something else silly like that. (It was once performed at the nearest city for a whole agonizing month during a period of serious financial crisis and I couldn't go! Drove me nuts!) I've been chasing that one for a while now.
I did watch a number of youtube bits and pieces but I want to see it *properly*.

(0) (0)
I want to buy or trade for these knuffels:
Earth Gen 18, Light Gen 19, Fire Gen 21, Air/Light/Water Gen 22, Light Gen 23, Earth/Light Gen 25, Darkness Gen 26.
Please PM me if you can help!

Posted: Oct 17th, '20, 12:00    

PupDragon

Hugs: 24827
Mood: Tired
My favorite musical of all time would be The Muppets, Treasure Island. I still have the songs stuck in my head.

If you are looking for something a bit different with a dark comedy edge, I would recommend The Guy Who Hates Musicals. It's about an alien invasion.

(0) (0)

Posted: Oct 17th, '20, 15:39    

blackbriar

Hugs: 56795
Mood: lazy
PupDragon: The Guy who Hates Musicals sounds really amusing. I haven't heard of it but might have to mention it to my roommate to see if she has. Musicals are more her thing but I'm really starting to branch out and see more with her.

Finally got around to seeing Hamilton. I watched it once and wasn't 100% focused on the screen. Songs are great though. Had a few stuck in my head for a week after just one listen. I need to watch it again though, really try to digest it all.

(0) (0)
Huge Art Request

XoXoXoXo

Items as payment

Posted: Oct 18th, '20, 07:38    

ShortAxel

Hugs: 9660
Into The Woods is my absolute favorite! My drama teacher in 11th grade played the Broadway version for the class and I fell in love. I got to see the Disney movie at El Capitan when it came out, which was so cool.

(0) (0)

Posted: Oct 24th, '20, 04:53    

Momò

Hugs: 25386
Mood: Very tired Dx
I loved Into the woods! I'd say it's one of my top favs~

(0) (0)

Posted: Oct 31st, '20, 12:22    

Mirika

Hugs: 434
Mood: Overall alright
Dixie wrote:I really love Cry Baby and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend :mclove: :mclove: :mclove:
I just finished Crazy Ex-Girlfriend earlier this week, spent about two weeks to binge all four seasons, what a hoot that was!

I love musical tv shows or movies, my favourite being Galavant to this day. Since my mother hates them, I think that's the reason I did sadly miss out on a lot of Disney movies, or was only restricted to seeing a movie once or twice. :|

I haven't had many opportunity to see actual musicals, but I did see Wicked and Priscilla Queen of the Desert. Both were very fun!

(0) (0)

Posted: Nov 1st, '20, 04:36    

minako kitsune

Hugs: 1867
Mood: tired
i like most classic musicals and disney movies. just not modern disney

(0) (0)

[ 35 posts ]