Yes  42%  [ 18 ]
No  58%  [ 25 ]
Total votes : 43
 Post subject: Re: The 2020 Reading Challenge
Posted: May 6th, '20, 00:07    

AliceON

Hugs: 103135
@LittleJulez: thanks! and thanks for the offer :qh:
I wonder why they made two movies instead of keeping the intertwined lines. to fit them into 90 minutes?

@Rubie: yes it's one of the books you hear about a lot. like many classics, not even necessarily the CLASSIC classics, can be the classics of fantasy or sci-fi or feminist prose. if you're exposed to the genre or topic at all, it's all around you. at least I have that with some books. the titles and characters and themes are like context to my life even though I have never read those books. everyone's just talking about them

@jacobgrey: oh wow you've got determination XD

(0) (0)

Posted: May 6th, '20, 08:10    

LittleJulez

Hugs: 191813
Mood: happy :)
Yea there are books like that that seem to surround you and you know they belong to the canon, but never have read them :D

Might be? I think it's actually a nice idea to split the two narratives though

(0) (0)

Posted: May 8th, '20, 00:01    

jacobgrey

Hugs: 132721
Mood: (◡‿◡)
@wulf you say that but I still haven't dared to go back to that Dostoyevsky book I was struggling on XD

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
First fairy 8.4.15; 2nd 7.6.17
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: May 8th, '20, 17:52    

Rubie

Hugs: 140027
Yes. It's kind of like people are now noticing how many same-sex couples, gay/lesbian characters are in books. I can actually think back to some childhood books and think "Well, that one character was probably gay." but didn't openly announce it since it was a 10-13 aged book (cannot think of the title atm). I remember in high school my school librarian had a "banned" bookshelf for controversial topics that the extremely religious pto members would not like in the back room. Many of them were gay romances. I read quite a few of them because the school librarian loved me because she loved my older sister so I could get away with anything with her.

I'm super excited for The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes to release. I forgot it was this month. It will be the next book I will read so I'm no longer in a hurry to finish The Infernal Battalion, though I'll probably finish is this weekend since I'm in the home stretch.

(0) (0)
Buying Lots of Stuff!

Come chat with me?

Posted: May 8th, '20, 18:55    

jacobgrey

@Rubie I am actually thinking about that very topic at the minute because, re-reading the Mortal Instruments, the gay relationship in there is almost completely in the background. I think they've only said the word gay once or twice across all of the books, and almost all relationship development happened off screen. Most of it right at the beginning, before they were in an actual open relationship, you could totally miss if you weren't savvy about relationships yet. It's like the author thought they would put in this token relationship but keep it hidden... but then what's crazy is that relationship was far and away the most popular thing about the TV show, and people loved it so much it became really central to the plot and they had whole episodes dedicated to them with all of their development happening on-screen. And now the author is releasing a whole series based just around those two characters and what they get up to away from the rest of the cast. It baffles me, basically :mcheh: I don't really know what point I'm making except that I just keep being surprised by how hidden it was every time I open the next book. They're barely in it and I'd really forgotten that.

I'm excited for the Ballad too! It's only available to order in hardback out here at the moment. I kind of like hardbacks but they're more difficult for me to read because of my weak wrists. I will probably just wait and jump on the paperback the second it gets released.

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: May 8th, '20, 19:34    

Rubie

You know, I've only read the first 2 (3?) books in the series even though I was really into them, but I HOW DID I NOT KNOW THEY MADE A SHOW? Now I'm kind of interested in rereading them as well. I love how open writing/shows, etc can be with these characters now. I remember when this was such a foreign concept to me that just reading a book with the main character being gay was such a wild idea to me. Now we can have almost anything and you wont be scorned at for reading it. I've seen a lot of people reading fifty shades of gray in public back when it was popular.

I would be so torn between waiting for the paperback or getting the hardcover if I didn't have the hunger games series in hardcover. I cannot wait to reenter the world. I bought a beanbag book holder thing that is kind of nice. I got it because I was going to knit while reading (I still haven't fully conquered that), but I just put the book in it and have it sit on my lap while I'm reading.

(0) (0)
Buying Lots of Stuff!

Come chat with me?

Posted: May 8th, '20, 22:00    

Sanssouci

Hugs: 78575
I finished Sullivan's Woman by Nora Roberts. I hated it. It was a romance. It had barely any plot. The woman was childish. And the man was extremely abusive.

(0) (0)

Posted: May 10th, '20, 14:21    

jacobgrey

@Rubie the show is actually really good. Full of cheese and angst, but in all the appropriate ways :D The only problem with it is that they obviously got told they only had one season left and realised they'd only tackled half the books, so the last season rushes through all these other storylines really fast to a bit of an anti-climax.

The 50 shades of grey thing was so weird. My mum read it and then offered it to me, like this is a woman who is so restrained and prudish I wasn't even allowed to admit I had a boyfriend until I was 18. And she's handing me a book which has explicit sex like three chapters in? So weird. I only read up to this one scene where I rolled my eyes so hard I nearly died and then gave up haha.

Thinking about it I do have the OG series in hardback. Only because I got them all on a special price. I was late getting into it so I missed the price gouging haha.

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: May 19th, '20, 14:58    

Rubie

Wow look at me not reading the final 150 some pages left in this book and the ballad of songbirds and snakes gets delivered today. I'm been so distracted by other things that I don't even know when I'll get my butt around to finishing it.

@Jacobgrey: 50 shades of grey was weird af. Most of my relatives on my mom's side are stuck up Christians, and oh boy, my mom lent these books out to them. My great aunt admitted to skipping a lot just to get on with the story lol.

Also only have the hunger games series in hard cover because a bookstore was going out of business and I went kind of crazy and bought a ton of books, and the hunger games hardcover box set was one. I miss that bookstore. So many memories going there to buy this manga series I loved growing up.

(0) (0)
Buying Lots of Stuff!

Come chat with me?

Posted: May 19th, '20, 15:20    

jacobgrey

Haha I love going out of business type sales for getting cheap stuff. But then the place is gone so you can't get any more deals afterwards.

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
My books ~*~ My magazine

[ 386 posts ]