Avatar Shopping Community Knuffel Quests Donate My Account Help

Jump to:

[ 16 posts ] 
Dad: -walks out- 8U
Me: Dad! There's a kitty over there! -points- Kitty kitty kitty 8u/ !!  57%  [ 28 ]
Dad: 8U /daughter is 31  43%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 49
 Post subject: Mental Wellness
Posted: Nov 18th, '19, 03:41    

Moi

Hugs: 326489
Mood: Know you're not alone.

My sister went to the doctor and the doctor told her she thinks my sister may have Autism.
We're supposed to go see a doctor out of town and see what they think.

But my mom felt so bad that she didn't know my sister might be Autistic and she texted my aunt and said she had to talk to us and my aunt asked if it was bad news and if we could fix it, and my mom said it was sad news and she hoped so.
You can't do that to someone with an anxiety disorder.
She had me crying and shaking and having trouble breathing all because they think my sister may be Autistic xD
I thought someone was dying or something >>

I have been called Autistic and I do have some symptoms, but I think my problem is a lack of social interaction.
I've been a shut-in for over 10 years and have had limited contact with people - so I'm not good at dealing with them.

But I have wondered if my sister was Autistic of sorts because I've met a lot of people online that are Autistic and it stuck in the back of my mind.
She even told me she thought she might be Autistic.

It makes me happy that my sister was born in a time where people take mental health and development seriously and understand it better.
But it also makes me sad because I never wanted her to have any problems. Especially depression and anxiety and she's on medication for depression and Bipolar disorder.
Our family is just f**ked when it comes to mental problems. And it sucks.

I grew up in the 1990s and 2000s and I never heard anyone talking about depression and the like. When I started to suffer from depression and anxiety - I didn't know what was happening.
I was told not to talk about it. Not to open up to people about. I still sometimes get told that, but f**k that. I have a problem and I talk about it.

Silence kills.

Do you have Autism or know someone with Autism of any sorts?
Do you have depression or anything of the sort?

(0) (0)

"I'll miss the winter
A world of fragile things
Look for me in the white forest
Hiding in a hollow tree (come find me)
I know you hear me,
I can taste it in your tears."

Post subject: Re: Mental Wellness
Posted: Nov 20th, '19, 00:47    

jacobgrey

Hugs: 132612
Mood: (◡‿◡)
I don't have Autism, I have no excuse for how anti-social I am :D I don't like humans very much a lot of the time. Although I get forced to interact with people anyway. One of my nightmares is a party where I don't know anyone, and I have to go to them all the time for my work -__-

Anyway, I digress. I have struggled with depression from time to time. It comes along with having a chronic illness. And sometimes the medication I take - last summer I stopped taking the pills I was on because one day I found myself walking down our high street bursting into tears. I had sunglasses on so I think no one noticed. I was just walking along, feeling mostly okay, and yet crying. That was an odd time.
The depression was worst when I was a teen. I had problems with self-harm in a few different ways and I wanted to, like, stop living. Not to die exactly, I didn't want to commit suicide. Just get suspended in space somewhere and not exist for a while. I had a feeling things might get better one day but it was horrible to wait for that day.
At one point I became obsessed with the idea I would die when I was 23. I didn't of course, but I did have these life-changing moments that year, so I wonder if in a way I did. I was reborn as someone knew. Who knows.
Now when I feel depression coming on I am better equipped to deal with it. I give myself a small bit of time to be miserable and wallow then I try to buck up and keep going. I keep a tracker for all of my symptoms and I include my mood in this. I am always more low in the winter because it is so dark and cold, so now is a time I have to stay vigilant with myself.

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
First fairy 8.4.15; 2nd 7.6.17
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Nov 20th, '19, 03:13    

Sanssouci

Hugs: 78539
I've never been diagnosed with anything, but I'm really socially awkward, so I feel like I probably have something!

(0) (0)

Posted: Nov 21st, '19, 12:39    

Zupprika

Hugs: 179344
Mood: tired
I've worked in autism diagnosis for a few years. What I can say is:
1- in women it can be really hard to diagnose. Most of the information you can read about autism is more about the masculine form, and there are difference between genders in autism (not all the time of course, I'm not trying to make 2 claerly separate categories). Because of that, women are often diagnosed later, if diagnosed at all.
2- What I've learnt from people that we diagnosed it that often, there is an initial shock of "of shit I have this incurable mental illness" or whatever, but slowly all the things they've been through make sense and after a whil;e, it's more a relief to know the diagnosis. You don't have to act neurotypical anymore (neurotypicals are people without autism), you can learn to be yourself instead of compensating and getting burnt out by what you're trying to compensate.
3- Autism is DEFINITELY NOT an illness, like depression or anxiety. It is a different way to see the world, your brain is wired differently. The problem is that our society is very much made for people without autism: everything has to be fast, we need to be very flexible and being social is seen as positive. Because of that, people with autism can feel very different and get low self esteem, but let's not forget that people with autism usually have a whole set of skills that we neurotypicals cannot have.

So please try to see the whole diagnosis process as a positive development in self knowledge and how to go on from here instead of seeing it as a "there's something wrong with me". I know it's probabley very stressful for your sister and your family, but usually it's not negative at all. But it is very hard to diagnose in normally functionning people, especially women, and it usually takes a whole team of professionals to diagnose.
There's no cure for autism because there's nothing wrong with people with autism.

(0) (0)
Image Image Image

Posted: Nov 22nd, '19, 03:11    

Moi

Hugs: 326489
Mood: Know you're not alone.

I know it's not like anxiety and depression xD
I told my mom it wasn't a big deal.
I come across a lot of people with some form of Autism, so I'm not completely ignorant of the subject.

jacobgrey: I get that way a lot - suspended in space somewhere and not exist for a while. Or turn myself off. I too was obsessed with the idea I'd die at the age of 25.

(0) (0)

"I'll miss the winter
A world of fragile things
Look for me in the white forest
Hiding in a hollow tree (come find me)
I know you hear me,
I can taste it in your tears."

Posted: Nov 22nd, '19, 12:56    

Zupprika

Hugs: 179344
Mood: tired
I didn't imply you were ignorant about the subject, I just thought I'd take the time to share a few things, but okay.

(0) (0)
Image Image Image

Posted: Nov 23rd, '19, 10:49    

Lycanthus

Hugs: 14820
Mood: tired/busy
i'm diagnosed for generalized anxiety and SOME form of depression, not sure what yet but it's definitely something. i'm just barely below threshold for a few other things like bipolar and bpd. my brother is autistic with a speech disorder and adhd.

my parents don't exactly believe in mental illness though (chalk it up to asian culture lol) so getting any kind of support when it takes so much out of me just to schedule an appointment is a lot of trouble

i don't really get much choice but to learn to deal with it since i have a huge responsibility to my family to take care of and support my brother as the eldest in the family, but just getting my degree has been a challenge on account of being unable to handle large amounts of stress at a time. thankfully i'm pretty self-aware so i can work through challenges proactively rather than reactionarily.

the rest of my family though... oh boy. they are a piece of work.

(0) (0)

x

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
toyhouse | free doodles | art dump | deviantart
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Posted: Feb 17th, '20, 16:45    

Aradiiaa

Hugs: 9702
Mood: trying
I'm autistic and ADHD, but I think the ADHD traits for me, are way more apparent. I'm what people may call "high functioning" autistic, but let me just say right now, those labels (high or low functioning) are bullshit, since many so called high functioning autistic people are good at masking their traits, especially when met with trauma or other situations where they have to try and pass as neurotypical, so using such a label makes others tend to overlook their experiences because "oh, they get on just fine! they don't need help or support!" Meanwhile, "low functioning" labels tend to cause others to view the autistic person as helpless and it leads to a lot of ableism and denial of agency.

I have severe social anxiety and some kind of depression that's exacerbated by traits of my autism/ADHD that I don't receive support or accommodation for. That being said, being autistic is not a bad thing and it doesn't need to be fixed. I feel that you can help your sister and your family by doing more research and informing them, or advising them to ask the doctor(s) more questions about the diagnosis. I totally understand that there's a stigma and loads of misinformation that might make families despair and panic about that kind of diagnosis, so it's important to set the record straight so people don't get mistreated, accidentally or otherwise.

(0) (0)
FORMERLY KNOWN AS SPECTRE.

25 | they/them | UTC +8

Posted: Feb 17th, '20, 17:15    

jacobgrey

Hugs: 132612
Mood: (◡‿◡)
I agree with you on the high functioning labels. I have dyscalculia so when I was at uni I was supposed to be eligible for support such as grants and free equipment, especially because I was doing a photography degree which involves dealing with numbers constantly. But when I went in for my assessment I was scoring really highly (basically I passed all the dyslexia and other sections at 100%, and the maths part at whatever the exact passing grade was, like 70% or something). They said they couldn't give me any help at all because I had such great coping strategies that I was functioning highly. Which to me is just crap. First of all you can see very clearly that I have a big problem with numbers if I get perfect scores everywhere else. Second, I have to carry on struggling without help just because I worked harder to overcome this problem? Way to reward people for not trying or coming up with coping strategies. I ended up having to work and still not having any of the standard loan money left at all when I graduated and getting really ill due to all the added stress, and because I didn't have any help and can't really handle numbers, I ended up in a financial situation where I had almost no money at all for a year and had to resort to eating old, expired food while still working full time. Yay.

(0) (0)
SELLING OLD FP SETS
First fairy 8.4.15; 2nd 7.6.17
My books ~*~ My magazine

Posted: Feb 18th, '20, 09:00    

Sunlight

Hugs: 118265
Mood: Reflective
Website: http://kofk.de/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13052
I'm taking meds for depression. The first time around, my parents were very unsupportive about it. My dad told me that he didn't want to see me take pills, that it was making HIM depressed. My mom told me that I can't be really depressed because I don't get panic attacks like her friend, and since she was also diagnosed with depression, obviously panic attacks are a symptom of depression and not a comorbidity thing at all. She also told me that it's normal to be sad after going through some of the things I did so it's not depression but normal sadness. One day, I just snapped and said, "If I fall off the roof and broke my legs, would you say that I don't need to get that treated because it's normal to break a couple of limbs after falling off the roof?" She's been a lot more supportive since then. My dad is still in the typical 'Mental illness doesn't exist unless it's so bad you need to be committed'-denial.

(0) (0)
Zia's uncoloured mule

[ 16 posts ]