Avatar Shopping Community Knuffel Quests Donate My Account Help

Jump to:

[ 116 posts ] 
food?
nom nom  27%  [ 10 ]
:food:  73%  [ 27 ]
Total votes : 37
 Post subject: Re: sock's den (everyone is welcome!) (new)
Posted: Apr 17th, '21, 06:29    

chuunibyou

Hugs: 101379
Mood: spiritual
yeah that's the way to go. i make a distinction between arguing with someone and calling them out though. arguing with someone involves trying to get someone to understand why their views are wrong. that doesn't work, usually; it just emotionally exhausts you and they continue being bigots. calling them out, though, shows them that they can't air out their horrible views in public and they can't act on their horrible views either. it shows them that their views aren't acceptable whether they like it or not. and if they try to argue with you about why they're right or try to justify themselves, don't engage. like you said, angering them instead of getting angry yourself is expert handling.

(0) (0)
Come chat with me at my hangout thread!
Stroctoperry wrote:Because KofK trumps homework, for some reason.
Death Candy wrote:I just realized that "take out" means food, dating, and murder. And if you were a female praying mantis you'd have all three.
Akili Li wrote:People talk about bravery in these super dramatic terms like it only applies to soldiers going to war, but for all that I think true courage is found in the hard every day moments of social interaction and standing up for what you believe in even when it's not life-or-death, when it's instead a matter of approval-or-ostracization among people whose opinions you care about. That's harder, to my mind. That's an ongoing, you have to live with it forever thing, instead of one single moment that's the exception instead of the rule.

First fairy found 28th May 2015
Second fairy found 11th May 2017
Third fairy found 9th Jan 2024

Posted: Apr 17th, '21, 09:23    

Focsie

Hugs: 25723
Mood: stuck in a 90s fever dream
yes this!! i agree. i'm trying to learn not to argue with these people myself, i often end up trying to explain to them why they're wrong, because i would rather assume ignorance than malice, and they always look like they just don't know. i get fooled into thinking they genuinely want to discuss and understand, but they always end up being bigots who don't want to change their mind, after letting you talk for 15 minutes while nodding then show they actually don't give a shit. it is very exhausting! i'm always trying to get better at making them mad and then letting it go. it's hard but i guess it takes practictice! well i'll have plenty since i seem to be surrounded by idiots. :mcsweat:

(1) (0)
ImageImageImage
"Oh, you're leaving...
I knew that you would leave the forest someday, Link...
Because you are different from me and my friends....
But that's OK, because we'll be friends forever... won't we?"
| knuffel | quesᴛ ʟog | ʙazaar |
come hang out with us in sock's den! ♥️

Posted: Apr 17th, '21, 15:07    

chuunibyou

Hugs: 101379
Mood: spiritual
yeah, it's really hard not to get upset yourself while trying to upset them. i find it easy to just be rude and sneering. like 'ew. sexist piece of shit. yuck.' i don't act angry, i act like i'm looking at a turd. and if they try to say anything i ignore them and make gagging noises every time they speak. at the very least, they'll avoid me after that, and then i don't have to listen to their bullshit.

(0) (0)
Come chat with me at my hangout thread!
Stroctoperry wrote:Because KofK trumps homework, for some reason.
Death Candy wrote:I just realized that "take out" means food, dating, and murder. And if you were a female praying mantis you'd have all three.
Akili Li wrote:People talk about bravery in these super dramatic terms like it only applies to soldiers going to war, but for all that I think true courage is found in the hard every day moments of social interaction and standing up for what you believe in even when it's not life-or-death, when it's instead a matter of approval-or-ostracization among people whose opinions you care about. That's harder, to my mind. That's an ongoing, you have to live with it forever thing, instead of one single moment that's the exception instead of the rule.

First fairy found 28th May 2015
Second fairy found 11th May 2017
Third fairy found 9th Jan 2024

Posted: Apr 17th, '21, 21:44    

Moi

Hugs: 324624
Mood: Know you're not alone.

I avoid conflict at all costs. I hate arguing and fighting so I avoid it.
Sometimes I will go off on someone.

Making fun of them how o_O

I'm from Texas which is considered the south and I've heard a lot of people talking badly about Texans. While I won't deny some people here are ignorant, we're not all like that.
People try to fight generalization with generalization.
They want to say not to put a whole group into one category, but then they follow up with putting a whole group into one category.

The human race is progressing, but some people refuse to change and they spread their ignorance to their kids who then spread it to their kids and so on.
Ignorance is deadly. I tell my sister to educate herself because knowledge is power.

You can be a shitty person no matter what your age, race, and gender are.

(0) (0)

"I'll miss the winter
A world of fragile things
Look for me in the white forest
Hiding in a hollow tree (come find me)
I know you hear me,
I can taste it in your tears."

Posted: Apr 27th, '21, 12:14    

Focsie

Hugs: 25723
Mood: stuck in a 90s fever dream
Mynah wrote:i ignore them and make gagging noises every time they speak. at the very least, they'll avoid me after that, and then i don't have to listen to their bullshit.
this is such a power move i'll definetely start doing that haha
Moi wrote:The human race is progressing, but some people refuse to change and they spread their ignorance to their kids who then spread it to their kids and so on.
Ignorance is deadly. I tell my sister to educate herself because knowledge is power.
yeah and you don't know how much this makes me angry. it does feel like we're progressing, but it's definetely irritating seeing 14yo kids being homophobic, no you don't actually think that jared, that's what your shitty parents made you believe :mcsweat:
education really is important, i hope we'll all be in a better world one day.
young people are really breaking the cycle sometimes and that gives me hope :sflw:

i'm trying to not think about it lately, and focus on nice things, like having more freedom since mm yesterday i think? now we can get out and go to museums and cinemas! god i really missed culture. and i can't wait to finally take trips again, i really missed the outside, i wanna go to a lake and have a pic nic! wearing masks of course, but at least we'll be in the open again. i'm just sad that it's been raining since.. well yesterday.
and it seems like it'll go on for a couple weeks :mcsweat:

(0) (0)
ImageImageImage
"Oh, you're leaving...
I knew that you would leave the forest someday, Link...
Because you are different from me and my friends....
But that's OK, because we'll be friends forever... won't we?"
| knuffel | quesᴛ ʟog | ʙazaar |
come hang out with us in sock's den! ♥️

Posted: Apr 27th, '21, 20:51    

Moi

Hugs: 324624
Mood: Know you're not alone.

It's like with the Me Too Movement - things have changed.
People say "Well, why didn't they speak up when it happened!? Why did they wait this long!?"
Because people blamed the victim more in the past.
"You were sexually assaulted by your boss? Welp, that's just part of the job so suck it up!"
It still happens that people blame victims, but it's not as common.
Like if you blame a victim these days, the wrath of the people will come down hard on you 8u
These women, and some men, saw how many people were speaking out and felt safe to do it too.

I'm a shut-in so I still don't like leaving home xD
But I hope you can enjoy your time out and about u8

(0) (0)

"I'll miss the winter
A world of fragile things
Look for me in the white forest
Hiding in a hollow tree (come find me)
I know you hear me,
I can taste it in your tears."

[ 116 posts ]