Do you have a reading goal?
Yes  48%  [ 14 ]
No  52%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 29
 Post subject: Re: The 2022 Reading Challenge
Posted: Jan 4th, '22, 07:22    

Ailey

Hugs: 485
100% understandable. I was the exact same way in high school. Read until you can't stay up anymore. Die at school the next day. Rinse and Repeat. I even had a book series I was obsessed with, currently blanking on the name tho. Hm.

BUT now I am old lady and have work. So I go to read in bed and pass out 2 pages in. :mcheh:

(0) (0)

Posted: Jan 4th, '22, 19:30    

Amura

Hugs: 61929
Mood: Glad to be back! ^o^
Hahaha, I'm an old lady too xD

So I treat myself to some reading every evening.
I usually go to bed around 10 PM and I read for about one hour, comfortably in my PJs. I love that time.

Sometimes I'm too entertained with my computer (here at the forum, or playing something) that I skip my reading time, and I won't go to sleep any later than 11 PM anyway.
But I do miss it when I do.

(0) (0)
G U I D E - F O R - N E W - M E M B E R S

. A v a t a r . I t e m . G u i d e .
A work on progress, but already quite a bunch of sets to check!

Posted: Jan 5th, '22, 00:11    

Akili Li

Hugs: 222453
Mood: contemplative
Well, I did indeed forget and end up getting a random book as my first book of 2022.

"Alien Taste" by Wen Spencer. It was a reread -someone asked for a recommendation when I offered to loan her a book and I had to doublecheck that I was remembering the book right, before I gave it to her.
>.<

So that was my first book of the year!

Then of course I had to finish the series, because how can you just read the first one? And read the others (only of course I got the order wrong and read "Bitter Waters" next instead of "Tainted Trail".... at least I remembered that "Dog Warriors" was the last one).

Now I'm doing another reread. "Frequent Hearses" by Edmund Crispin.
He's one of the authors that expand my vocabulary. "Resipiscently" was not a word I'd ever come across before. "Sequacious" sounded vaguely familiar but when I went to look it up, it wasn't what I thought it was, so that turned out to be new, too. Odd bits and bobs of semi-obsolete words like that.

(0) (0)
I want to buy or trade for these knuffels:
Earth Gen 18, Light Gen 19, Fire Gen 21, Air/Light/Water Gen 22, Light Gen 23, Earth/Light Gen 25, Darkness Gen 26.
Please PM me if you can help!

Posted: Jan 5th, '22, 11:06    

Amura

I finished my first book.
Roald Dahl's complete short stories (for adults, not children fiction). Quite amusing. The author likes twists, and strives to surprise.

My husband jokes that starting the year finishing a 1k+ pages book is a bit of cheating, cause most of those pages were actually read one the previous year :qwhee:
But yeah. He's not tricking me into not counting it :mclaugh:

Anyway.
For my KofK challenge I meant to read books of certain categories - I'm gonna quote myself so I keep track of it.
Amura wrote:My aim is to read this year at least 2 books in each of the following categories:
- books in Galician language
- about feminism
- books related to science/maths
- any of the books that have been sitting on my to-read list for way too long.
But I'm starting on the wrong foot, since the book I have just started does not fall in any of them :mcgrin:
It's titled Minimalista: Your Step-by-Step Guide to a Better Home, Wardrobe, and Life, and it was at a very discounted price on Amazon so I bought it.
That happens to me way too often: I buy a new book and read it righ away, while the ones I bought a while ago remain collecting (virtual) dust.
That's way I have added that last category to my challenge, hopefully I'll remember it next time I choose a book!

(0) (0)

Posted: Jan 5th, '22, 13:04    

Akili Li

Oh, I do that too...
Newest book to come in gets picked up first instead of the older ones which sat around long enough to be tucked away somewhere, and you can't find them until you realize they're hiding in the linens chest or wherever you stashed them in a panic when guests were coming and you had to clear off a chair.

(0) (0)
Earth Gen 18, Light Gen 19, Fire Gen 21, Air/Light/Water Gen 22, Light Gen 23, Earth/Light Gen 25, Darkness Gen 26.

Posted: Jan 5th, '22, 13:14    

Amura

That's the beauty of digital books.
They remain there, staring me right into my eyes, while I choose to neglect them and go ahead reading the newest one.
Just because I'm that kind of person.

If anyone speaks computer gibberish, I'm LIFO not FIFO :mcsmirk:

(0) (0)

Posted: Jan 5th, '22, 22:31    

Akili Li

I don't really do digital books. I tried. Back in.... um. I want to say 2001? 2000? 2002? Something like that. My father gifted me an e-reader and I tried. But holding that stiff device for long enough to read through a book or two made my wrist ache, and I had to be so careful about reading in the rain, and you can't loan out digital books like you can physical ones, and trying to flip through the book to find that one funny quote you want to read someone is a lot harder when it's digital, and it just plain wasn't as satisfying. Also, gesturing with a paperback book is easy but if you want to thwack your roommate upside the head with an e-reader it's less like a friendly comment to "mind your tongue, that's your boyfriend's sister!" and more like assault, so....
So yeah.
Regular physical books it is.

I always thought LIFO/FIFO were more business terms, not computer gibberish? I mean, people have been using those inventory methods since before computers, so how did they end up switching jargon fields?
Unless you don't mean the inventory/goods flow methods of first in first out / last in first out?

(0) (0)

Posted: Jan 7th, '22, 23:27    

AliceON

Hugs: 102834
how is this thread already two pages? :mcomg:

(0) (0)

Posted: Jan 8th, '22, 06:40    

Akili Li

wulfilalice wrote:how is this thread already two pages? :mcomg:
Well, it's books.

It's always easy to talk about books.

I just got a gaming book, for a TTRPG called "Pathfinder". Apparently it has a new edition or something so a bunch of old ones showed up at my favorite bookstore for pretty cheap, and I thought I'd give it a try.

Of course, then the next step would be finding a way to try playing it.... that part might be harder.

(0) (0)

Posted: Jan 8th, '22, 09:14    

Amura

Yeah, books are a great topic, it's easy to find something to talk about them :mccool:

TTRPG? *looks it up* Ah, that's the classic pen-and-paper game, ok.
Yeah, sometimes it's harder finding whom to play with indeed!

I was gifted a book this year, one that will fit into my challenge by categories - cause it's written in Galician - so I already left it on my nightstand hoping to pick it up as soon as I'm done with my current one.

(0) (0)

[ 380 posts ]