Avatar Shopping Community Knuffel Quests Donate My Account Help

Jump to:

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Worried (a rant)
Posted: Jan 31st, '23, 10:47    

Amura

Hugs: 64381
Mood: Glad to be back! ^o^
I'm super worried about one of my students. 15 years old girl.

On friday some of her classmates made a (humorous) remark regarding use of drugs, to which I replied is the same humorous way. I tend to deal with these topics this way, making it too serious often kinda closes the communication with tenagers.
But she replied to them in a very harsh way, so I switched my tone, cause I felt it was something that was really hurting her.

Then I remembered that she moved with her mother here (parents are divorced) year and a half ago, and during the weekend I could not help thinking about how it might be related...
So yesterday (monday) after the class, I asked her whether she had a relative with drug issues (it was the brother) and whether it was reason why they moved.
Poor girl started crying, and telling me the whole story.

Abusive father. Beats the wife and the children.
Older brother (not a minor) using drugs, spending all his money, can't keep a job because of it. Father thinks a good beat is the only way to fix it.
Mom divorces and runs away with her (still a minor) but older brother decides to stay.
The girl thinks brother is being stupid, but comfronts her father about the beating. And know what happens? Father threatens to kill her. Damn it, fucking scumbag of a father threated to kill his own daughter, cause he never really wanted her in the first place!!

I've known this girl for a year and a half, she never ever said a word about it.
I already talked to the counselor, and she said she's gonna move everything aside to help the girl, but our resources are so damn limited and there is so little we can do - other than offer support.
Not asking for advice or anything, this is just a rant, but here I am, in front of my computer, crying, cause life is so unfair and I feel so helpless.
Fuck everything.

(0) (0)
G U I D E - F O R - N E W - M E M B E R S

. A v a t a r . I t e m . G u i d e .
A work on progress, but already quite a bunch of sets to check!

Post subject: Re: Worried (a rant)
Posted: Feb 18th, '23, 20:58    

LeannaAnne

Hugs: 4245
Mood: Being busy =w=
I hope you lending an attentive ear helped her either to realise she's not alone and to get it off her chest. But I also know some things aren't fixed with professionals, and yet I hope thats not the case here :qh:

(0) (0)

Posted: Mar 2nd, '23, 11:33    

Alexandra

Hugs: 40996
Mood: Glare...
:qh:
Hello there! I wanna let you know you are an amazing person.
As for you feeling sad about this situation and helpless,
let me tell you that you are not responsible to fix anybody's life.
If your heart tells you to do something or you know your action
can improve someone's life and you are willing to do that, do so.
We are limited to our capacities and beliefs.
We can only help others by helping ourselves first.
Chin up!

I'm praying for the 15 years old girl to be strong and cheerful
and make good choices in her life despise her negative context.

Have a lovely day and spread love
:qh:

(0) (0)
Free items for everybody!Come on in :3

Posted: Dec 15th, '23, 04:28    

wolfcat87

Hugs: 10871
Mood: Interested
I'm pretty late to the party. As someone who had an awful childhood, I can vividly remember the few adults who recognized my life problems, said this isn't okay, and tried to help. So, you've already likely made a lasting impact on their psyche.

(0) (0)

Posted: Dec 16th, '23, 07:37    

Outline

Hugs: 6074
Mood: Illustrating
I'll be a teacher in some months, so stories like this open my mind to two scenarios

1.) When I was small, kids bullied me relentlessly through out k-8 9-13. I kept telling teachers over and over that I was being bullied, and now I realize that even if they wanted to do something, there was very little that I could do.

2.) There were only two or three teachers I really trusted when I was in school. One was my sped teacher, and one was my high school art teacher. I felt like they could hear anything I had to say and I knew I'd be safe with them. Unfortunately, both of those teachers had cancer and died before I graduated.

anyway, in a roundabout way I just want you to know that she felt safe by telling you what she did, and it's more the councilors job to access the situation once you've spoke with her right? The councilor can also call CPS if she feels like its worth investigating but it sounds like she's safe with her mother. I wish kids didn't have to go through situations like these. I have no idea how I'll be an in person teacher, my certification program preps me for online teaching which is how I'd like to teach in public schools.

(0) (0)
~A woman can dream~

[ 5 posts ]