Avatar Shopping Community Knuffel Quests Donate My Account Help

Jump to:

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Untraditional College Woes
Posted: Jan 13th, '24, 20:52    

Outline

Hugs: 6075
Mood: Illustrating
So, I'm about to graduate college with my BA in English, and I'm super stoked for that. I can't tell if my mom will actually bring me to my commencement ceremony. She gets mad at me at random for stuff that stresses her out without me knowing because I guess she expects me to read her mind. Anyway, yesterday I told her that I intended to get my masters degree started very soon after I graduate with my BA because I need an MA to get the job that I want. I live with my mom right now, because I have a toddler and stuff is super expensive to rent. I don't think they'll rent to me on my first year as a public educator, so I'll have to still live here until that happens. I want to teach English as a second language or something similar in college, which requires that I have an MA. I'd also like to get a PhD in English as a second language learning.

So long story short, I had an argument with my mom yesterday because she told me that I wasn't allowed to get my master's degree until I moved out of her house because my BA stressed her out while I was getting it.

Jokes on her, I'm going to get my MA while I'm living here if she likes it or not. She doesn't have to like it at all.

I have a feeling that when the graduate financial aid checks come in that her attitude will drastically change.

(0) (0)
~A woman can dream~

Post subject: Re: Untraditional College Woes
Posted: Jan 14th, '24, 10:01    

Sunlight

Hugs: 118341
Mood: Reflective
Website: http://kofk.de/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13052
Oh, where do you live? Where I am, you only need a certificate in order to teach EAL/ESL. You only need a master's if you plan on going into public school to teach school-aged children. Or is that why you need an MA?

(0) (0)
Zia's uncoloured mule

Posted: Jan 14th, '24, 23:44    

Outline

Hugs: 6075
Mood: Illustrating
Sunlight wrote: Jan 14th, '24, 10:01 Oh, where do you live? Where I am, you only need a certificate in order to teach EAL/ESL. You only need a master's if you plan on going into public school to teach school-aged children. Or is that why you need an MA?
Well, I need the MA for a number of reasons. Where I'm from you have to be licensed to teach public school (preK, K-12) which I plan on doing for a little bit. My masters degree is required to teach college classes, which is what I really want to do.

(0) (0)
~A woman can dream~

Posted: Jan 15th, '24, 12:31    

Sunlight

Hugs: 118341
Mood: Reflective
Website: http://kofk.de/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13052
Oh wow, it's so different. Here, you need an MA to teach in public school, though only a certificate to teach privately. I've never really looked into what I need to teach college EAL/ESL classes, but I would have thought it'd also be just certification.

(0) (0)
Zia's uncoloured mule

[ 4 posts ]