i don't care if you're not like a dude dude  51%  [ 20 ]
'cause 'dudette' sounds so weiiiirrd  49%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 39
 Post subject: Public Speaking
Posted: Apr 19th, '17, 06:06    

chuunibyou

Hugs: 111991
Mood: spiritual
I have a history presentation to give with my group today and just, blergh. Everyone is presenting much better than I will and it's getting to me.

Public speaking doesn't make me cripplingly nervous but it makes me nervous enough that it's pretty unpleasant. And sometimes it's a lot worse. Like for my Advanced Writing presentation, I had to give my speech in front of my (unrequited) love, and that increased my nervousness and dread by 300%.

(0) (0)
Come chat with me at my hangout thread!
Stroctoperry wrote:Because KofK trumps homework, for some reason.
Death Candy wrote:I just realized that "take out" means food, dating, and murder. And if you were a female praying mantis you'd have all three.
Akili Li wrote:People talk about bravery in these super dramatic terms like it only applies to soldiers going to war, but for all that I think true courage is found in the hard every day moments of social interaction and standing up for what you believe in even when it's not life-or-death, when it's instead a matter of approval-or-ostracization among people whose opinions you care about. That's harder, to my mind. That's an ongoing, you have to live with it forever thing, instead of one single moment that's the exception instead of the rule.

First fairy found 28th May 2015
Second fairy found 11th May 2017
Third fairy found 9th Jan 2024

Post subject: Re: Public Speaking
Posted: Apr 19th, '17, 11:50    

-Leo-

Hugs: 48110
Mood: Ta-ta!
I've never liked it and at this age I don't think I ever will. As a kid I used to compare it to standing on a ship (I'd picture old one, not these modern ugly things) in a storm. The room would be sort of tilting or zooming in and out. I'd stutter, sweat, hardly breathe. Talk too fast or talk too quietly. In other words, I'll write the speech, but please don't ever punish me by making me talk in front of people.

(0) (0)

" Fantasy is what people want, but reality is what they need "

Posted: Apr 19th, '17, 13:48    

Kitalpha Hart

Hugs: 8093
Mood: I'm poor (´Д` )
I hated presentations in school
I don't like calling attention to myself, either cosplay is focused on the costume, so that's different
Like if there was something we had to do in front of the class, I'd do whatever I could to avoid it, short of feigning sick
But, a lot was unavoidable :|
And never helped
To me, I sound very different when up front, compared to, say, chatting during lunch. Wound up, pitch rising at the end, and most definitely not looking at the person

Job interviews, too

(0) (0)
Imageurls broke Imagebig sadsImage

Posted: Apr 19th, '17, 17:12    

chuunibyou

When I was giving my interview for college, I realized that the times I paused while speaking, my teeth were chattering very visibly, so I kept blabbing on and on so that the interviewers wouldn't notice >.>

And regularly during speeches I trip over words and pronounce them wrong because I'm trying to say them too fast and that always embarrasses the heck out of me.

(0) (0)
Death Candy wrote:I just realized that "take out" means food, dating, and murder. And if you were a female praying mantis you'd have all three.
Akili Li wrote:People talk about bravery in these super dramatic terms like it only applies to soldiers going to war, but for all that I think true courage is found in the hard every day moments of social interaction and standing up for what you believe in even when it's not life-or-death, when it's instead a matter of approval-or-ostracization among people whose opinions you care about. That's harder, to my mind. That's an ongoing, you have to live with it forever thing, instead of one single moment that's the exception instead of the rule.

Posted: Apr 19th, '17, 17:48    

-Leo-

I don't in general enjoy talking to people, unless I know them and even that's not enough, unless we're close. Anyway, I actually once did a test how the teachers will view me (different teachers obviously and I did it during the whole time I had those teachers teaching me) as the quiet one that I am VS always holding up the hand and taking a big part in the lessons, even choosing to sit as close as I could. Needless to say, even if I wouldn't know the answers etc, the teachers were much more likely to give a better grade (honestly, they always did), which is such utter nonsense and yet another reason why I hate the "education" system so much.

(0) (0)

Posted: Apr 19th, '17, 21:49    

Moi

Hugs: 339569
Mood: Know you're not alone.

I never want to speak in front of people ever again xD

I've been on stages and sang and every single time...I hated being on stage.
I'd be anxious as hell the whole time, but fine when we were done.

I did an oral report in 5th grade and I was told to accept questions.
I wanted to finish and leave.
You got questions? Google it.
>BU

(0) (0)

"I'll miss the winter
A world of fragile things
Look for me in the white forest
Hiding in a hollow tree (come find me)
I know you hear me,
I can taste it in your tears."

Posted: Apr 19th, '17, 21:52    

CycloneKira

Hugs: 42760
Mood: I'm trying.
Spoiler
I've heard that "dudette" is the word for the hair on an elephant's butt.
Not sure how true that is, though. I refrain from using it, just in case :P
I get crazy jitters when I have to speak in public. It's so ridiculously obvious, I've had people come up to me with two kinds of reactions:
1. "You're a really good speaker! You should really talk/participate in class more!"
2. "Damn, you're really scared of talking in public, aren't you? You should chill out, girl, people ain't gonna eat you up or anything."

I don't freak out at all when I have to sing in public though. That comes as naturally as sleeping. Or breathing.

True story.

(0) (0)
It's not over yet.
There's a lot to look forward to.
Keep going.
You can do this :)
Leonard Snart wrote:There are only four rules you have to remember: Make the plan, execute the plan, expect the plan to go off the rails, throw away the plan.
1st fairy - June 3rd, 12:06 AM IST

Posted: Apr 19th, '17, 23:43    

-Leo-

@CycloneKira
Spoiler
Since I do research on pretty much anything random in these days (I really need a life, but in my defense, this one wasn't much of a research, just a quick look to confirm what I've thought the word to mean so far), other than mostly everything only being about dudette being the fem version of dude, this was the first one about...the butt..? What? I'm still so confused by that. http://en.allexperts.com/q/Wild-Animals ... dition.htm
Anyway, to stay on topic, I hope I never again have to do any public speaking, ever again...

(0) (0)

Posted: Apr 22nd, '17, 08:32    

chuunibyou

Spoiler
@Leo, I don't know how ideas like this get around without their being an official source. It's literally like it gets around because people are wondering if it's true, not because any reliable source has said it is true.
And so, @Kira, I'm curious about where you heard it :mcconf:
@Leo
I did create different personalities but though I imagined and daydreamed them handling situations differently from me, especially after I handled something in a less-than-satisfactory or regretful manner. And also doing things I wasn't capable of but wanted to do. Retaliate to a person when in reality they're in a position of power over me, for instance. But I never acted them out. I wouldn't have known how to. I've never been able to go against myself in action, only in inaction (so I stick to who I am in whatever I say or do, when I go against myself for what other people or the world wants, it's not in what I say or do, it's in forcibly staying quiet or letting something happen.)

@Moi
Question time is the worst. At least I can reach the end of my speech, even if I falter, by trying to remember or by skipping to what I can remember, but if someone asks me a question I don't know the answer to... what do I even do xD

@Kira
I've noticed that about you lol. More evidence that your 'impulse' is an ingrained process that's a part of you. (Gotta stop referencing other conversations all over the place <.< ok I'll stop now.)

(0) (0)

Posted: May 6th, '17, 23:45    

Lycanthus

Hugs: 15344
Mood: tired/busy
I've taken about three speech classes now and I've found that it's gotten easier over time. I keep thinking I'll screw up terribly but I end up doing better than expected. I dunno if this is because I've gotten more outgoing or anything like that, but I actually kind of do enjoy public speaking. I guess I kind of have to if my goal is to be a professor.

(0) (0)

x

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
toyhouse | free doodles | art dump | deviantart
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

[ 13 posts ]